Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Failed ADSL Installation  (Read 2450 times)

vic0239

• Reg Member
Failed ADSL Installation
« on: April 30, 2016, 02:27:33 PM »

I spend a couple of hours this morning at an elderly friend’s house in the village, she had recently ordered Broadband on her line and had asked me to set up her BT home hub. Her activation date was last Tuesday, but something has gone wrong as she lost her land line that afternoon and the hub won’t sync either. There is no dial tone, just some background hiss on the line and all incoming calls are answered by BT 1571. There are two phone sockets, both of which I would describe as extension sockets, there is no modern master socket in the house.

I called BT on her behalf and was taken through some fault finding, but this immediately stalled as I could not test from the master socket as there wasn’t one. The person I spoke to had difficulty accepting this and I tried to explain that the phone installation is quite old and predates these sockets. However, the only option appeared to be to arrange an engineer visit, but with the caveat that the usual fee would be payable if the fault was fond within her premises. I suppose it is not beyond the possibilities of coincidence that a fault developed on the exact same day as activation, but this appears to be unlikely as everything was previously working ok.

So after this ramble, two questions.

1. Does the activation of broadband involve re-jumpering, patching the line and thus have the possibility of causing such a fault?
2. When the engineer visits will he install a modern master socket and will this incur such a charge?

Worse still she has to wait until next Thursday for the engineer, unnerving for someone in their eighties.

Thanks.
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: Failed ADSL Installation
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2016, 03:55:07 PM »

1. Yes.
2. If there isn't a modern master socket, than an engineer will probably fit one for which your friend wouldn't/shouldn't be charged.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2016, 04:30:36 PM »

Thanks for that, she'll be relieved to know she's unlikely to be charged. Just a pity there is no recognition or process to give priority to fixing a botched job.
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 09:20:11 AM »

An update on this issue. OR engineer attended and after completely re-patching at the exchange he was confident that the line would be ok as somehow it had been looped back hence the successful line test. However, when he arrived at the cottage the line was still dead - much to his dismay! After checking the wiring in the house (and loft) he came to the conclusion that there must be a break in the external overhead cable which, despite her cottage being practically across the road from the exchange, arrives from a distant pole across and along the other cottages in the street. A new pair was found and the line (and broadband) is now working. He also changed the ancient (star) wiring in the cottage, so she now has a proper master socket.

I have to commend the OR guy who was determined to get to the bottom of the problem and made sure he retained the job (and his sense of humour) so he could complete it the following morning. Amusingly he was impressed that I knew of star wiring and asked if I’d worked for BT.  :lol:  Of course I have this forum to thank for that snippet of information and while there is a lot of complex technical stuff discussed here, the simple things do come in useful to a layman such as I. Thank you Kitizens!  :thumbs:

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2016, 09:32:08 AM »

Thats a great outcome! :)

It's good to hear the engineer was determined to find the fault.

Glad everything is now up and running. Eighty years old too, there is hope for us all :drink:
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2016, 10:10:56 AM »

I have to commend the OR guy who was determined to get to the bottom of the problem and made sure he retained the job (and his sense of humour) so he could complete it the following morning.

If you go to the Openreach Contact Us web-page and scroll down to the section headed "Let us know how we did" you will find a link that can be taken to commend the technician who attended to the problem.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »

Thank you for the link, I have now done so.  :)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2016, 01:21:58 PM »

Thanks for the update and glad it's all fixed.

Given your friends age and she has her line rental with BT, you may also want to see if she qualifies for BT's free priority fault repair scheme

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2016, 02:26:12 PM »

Given your friends age and she has her line rental with BT, you may also want to see if she qualifies for BT's free priority fault repair scheme
Fortunately no. She is a very independant & active octogenarian, full of life, who still drives and travels abroad regularly.  :)