Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Suddenly, loads of re-syncs - advice please  (Read 1456 times)

pdes

Suddenly, loads of re-syncs - advice please
« on: January 27, 2016, 09:26:47 AM »

Team,

My MDWS ID is PDES.  Router id a Netgear D7000.  ISP Sky (FTTC)

I have always had speed and SNR issues as I am on a long line (33.5 attn) and have a regular pattern of FECs that start at around 10:00 in the morning and finish around midnight.  Whenever I get the burst of FEC, my SNR drops by 1-2 db and as with most people's experience, the SNR drops as it gets dark.  However, for months, despite the drops, after around 4:00 a.m. the SNR starts to recover and ends up in the 5-6db range.  Even when, on rare occassions, the SNR dropped to 2 and below, the router held up and did not re-sync.

However, some weeks ago, there was a re-sync and my U/L shot up to over 15db and resetting the router made no difference.  A week or two later there was another re-sync and it returned to around 6 db.  Since then, despite ther being no change to the pattern or SNR levels and FECs, I have started to get re-syncs every day or two, usually in mornings anywhere from 2:00 am to midday.

I have looked through my MDWS stats and can only see RDI/DLM errors but I am not savvy enough to be able to interpret the stats more fully and maybe understand the cause for this change in behaviour :blush:.  So, a favour please, could someone have a quick wizz through my stats and throw some light on why this is happenning?

Much appreciated!

David

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Suddenly, loads of re-syncs - advice please
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2016, 10:49:59 PM »

The reason for those 1 RDI/DLM syncs it down to your low SNRM swings the DLM wont take action straight away as it accumulates the data over 24 hours and then acts, your errored seconds is not the cause of re-syncs.

When your SNRM goes low there is also an increase of FEC's that has to be interference coming from somewhere i'll hand this over to the REIN experts on the Kitz forum.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Suddenly, loads of re-syncs - advice please
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 02:07:34 PM »

I'm going to move this to the FTTC section where its more likely to be spotted by those who look at stats.

Ive had a quick look, but tbh although the line is noise and there is quite a lot of variance, I dont see any pattern that is indicative of a local REIN issue.
Although you do get some drop off at 5pm there are lots of other things going on too.   Yesterdays graph was possibly about the clearest show of what could be REIN ie the loss of 2dB from 5pm and then some recovery slightly before 10pm.  Yesterday morning (Feb 1st) also had a slow recovery from 12:30 to 9am.   If it was REIN from a single source then I'd expect more of an immediate recovery when whatever the cause was was switched off.   

Your Bits/Tone is a bit messy.  The gap at 356-523 could be PSD masking for long lines, overall the hlog looks fine.   QLN shows what appears to be a noisy line between 133-374 but no clear evidence of any major crosstalk that I can see.

Your line is quite long and there is not that many available frequencies, the tones shared with adsl are noisy but aside from that I cant see anything specific.  I think rather than something REIN specific it may just be general background noise.  Longer lines unfortunately are more susceptible to noise :(
Sorry I cant make any other suggestions other than to ensure your internal wiring is best it can be.

However, some weeks ago, there was a re-sync and my U/L shot up to over 15db and resetting the router made no difference.

I can see where this happened on the 17th of Jan, straight away I could see this was typical DLM behaviour.  So I then looked at your retransmit corr & LEFTRS etc for the 16th expecting to be some upstream activity, but I couldnt see anything too unusual on the upstream to have triggered DLM in the first place :/

A week or two later there was another re-sync and it returned to around 6 db.  Since then, despite ther being no change to the pattern or SNR levels and FECs, I have started to get re-syncs every day or two, usually in mornings anywhere from 2:00 am to midday
Quite possibly DLM making adjustments.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything