Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: BT should be forced to sell Openreach service, report says  (Read 4668 times)

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
Re: BT should be forced to sell Openreach service, report says
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 01:14:23 PM »

BT / OR for whatever reason don't seem to fine tune what they already have. I think a good case for OR to stay as it is could be made by BT if they focused on improving current technology.

Everyone who signs up to FTTC is given an individual download estimate but for the same reason that not everyone who has ADSL2+ gets 24MB not everyone with VDSL will get 40 or 80MB (to do with the laws of physics!)

But what makes you think Openreach don't try and improve their existing service?

1. They launched G.INP on Huawei cabinets.
2. They have said they plan to extend this to ECI cabinets once they are happy with the stability of the necessary firmware. Should have they delayed doing it on the Huawei cabinets until then ? (I suggest not)
3. They are trialling vectoring which they see as enabling customers further from the cabinet to get a FTTC service. As their is a cost to rolling this out, I expect to see it in BDUK areas first to boost coverage targets.

Their latest update for VDSL modems on their network includes the need for them to support:

- both G.INP and Vectoring operating together; and that
- modems sync at 1800m and 2400m when vectoring is implemented

which I think gives a fair indication of their plans.

But even if they already fully rolled out all the improvements you mention, it still wouldn't stop the calls for them to be broken up.. nothing would.

On the question of would I pay abit more money for fibre. The short answer is yes.

Most won't which is just one of the many things which makes nationwide FTTP unviable atm

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 04:24:48 PM »

I read the full report yesterday.   A lot of the facts are dubious and some of them just plain misleading.

I started to write something yesterday to break down each of the claims, but because Ive been messing with the server etc I havent got very far yet :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 04:36:31 PM »

kitz it works both ways tho bt also post dubious and misleading information themselves

also how have you determined is misleading is someone from bt feeding you info that you not sharing with us? u said u seen documents about g. fast trials but u didn't publish them on your site
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 04:39:16 PM by Chrysalis »

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 05:14:05 PM »

Never mind vectoring, I would currently settle for G-inp on ECI. This appears to have been conveniently forgotten by OR.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 05:14:09 PM »

Of course Openreach should be split off. Why does BT get to own the infrastructure? They're not a nationalised company, they're a public company.

We're always going to be in a difficult position because the infrastructure comes from a nationalised company so there will only ever be "one" truly national infrastructure but keeping it under BT is just ridiculous.

I am against nationalising Openreach. I think it should be its own private company, who's sole purpose is to roll out FTTP/G.Fast and maintain the infrastructure of the UK. It would be directly accountable to the Government and would sell its services to ISPs, thus generating healthy profits and thus able to pay for a decent rollout of FTTP.

In the already enabled FTTC areas, I am sure that FTTP could be done now.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 06:05:15 PM »

also how have you determined is misleading is someone from bt feeding you info that you not sharing with us? u said u seen documents about g. fast trials but u didn't publish them on your site

WTF!

There's plenty of information in the open domain, if you mean what I said here

I dont think even BT themselves know yet as surely it will entirely depend upon a review of the local area?
Ive seen documentation which shows both,

I was on about diagrams that showed g.fast being used with fttdp,  and not the cab.   Theres quite a lot of info on the net if you search for it.
In fact theres a member on here who posted photos of fttdp...  and there are those diagrams on my site taken from some of the documentation. 

FFS
Stuff it, stuff the report, stuff everything.

Ive had enough of this..   I really fricken have..   
I stopped posting because I was sick to the back teeth of all the accusations for the hours I put in here, last year was a hell of a struggle yet I still did what I could.

I put countless hours in doing research and to get info out there...   Im not paid for stuff all and all I get is grief.  Questions about what I do in the limited time I do have
I put my own money into maintaining a server and for the hastle
I am so stressed out still trying to catch up with last years stuff, but there really comes a point when I wonder WTF I bother.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2016, 06:11:14 PM »

Lets say BT Openreach is sold and split off into say three indivdual companys like Kellys or Kellys networking or any other network business honestly we would be going backwards not forwards.

Anyone wanting Openreach to be split from the parent is just asking for problems in the short to long term stability with the current infrustructure we have and we may start to see benefits after 20 years but i'll be 6 foot under by then  :(
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 06:15:57 PM by NewtronStar »

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2016, 06:32:08 PM »

That's not what I said. Please read my post again.
Pages: 1 [2]

anything