Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT Openreach apprenticeships  (Read 4215 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BT Openreach apprenticeships
« on: January 22, 2016, 09:13:35 AM »

We’re recruiting 250 apprentices

The search for 250 new apprentices to join our teams during 2016-17 has started.
We’re seeking apprentices right across the country to join our Service Delivery, Infrastructure Delivery and Business and Corporate Delivery teams. Our new recruits will join us from September onwards.

In the last three years we’ve recruited over 1,000 apprentices into Openreach and we know our teams like to recommend friends and families for roles. Anyone wishing to join should visit this site ..... http://www.btplc.com/Careercentre/Ourlocations/UK/Apprenticeships/index.htm  to make their application.

BT is the second largest supporter of apprenticeships (only the MOD has more) and offers a really competitive package of benefits and training to anyone wishing to join the scheme. As the majority of our apprentices go into the field we’ll be looking for individuals who are able to drive and there is no upper age limit for anyone wishing to apply. In parallel, apprenticeship roles across the Group are being launched covering a variety of skills.

Duncan Webb, GM Resourcing Delivery says: “We're proud once again to be searching for new talent to join Openreach and our award winning apprenticeship program. I’d encourage as many candidates as possible to apply for an opportunity to be part of the Openreach team.”

Laura Haynes from Group added: “We’ve worked hard this year to improve how we recruit apprentices. Anyone applying will get a report back from us enabling them to understand about their core strengths – obtaining valuable insight regardless of outcome.”

If you know someone who would be ideal for joining our apprenticeship scheme, why not send them the link and encourage them to apply.

Thanks

Mark Comerford
Resourcing programmes manager

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT Openreach apprenticeships
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »

Good to hear this is happening.  I personally think there is a strong case to be made for apprenticeships, the more traditional academic degree qualifications being somewhat over-common and over-rated these days.  Part of my last job was recruitment of engineering staff and I was amazed at the number of 'highly qualified' grad's that had not a clue about the real-world technology, and no signs of any real aptitude.

But whether entering with a degree or an apprenticeship I have to say, were I starting over again, BT would be high on my wish list for employment.    :)

Unfortunately, whilst it would be interesting to see the response, I am not at all confident  an application at my pensionable age  would be successful.    :D

atkinsong

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 12:02:20 PM »

Couldn't agree more. I left grammar school in 1965 with GCSE O levels and joined Post Office Telephones aged 16 as a Trainee Technician Apprentice. Excellent training for 2 years including block release at tech college to do O.N.C. Then I was wooed by the much better money (then) in the I.T. Industry, where I stayed for the remainder of my career. I too have been involved in the recruitment of graduates and on many occasions have been amazed at a lack of practical skill and in some cases just not understanding what "going to work" actually means!
I left POT with a heavy heart but fatter wallet and often wonder how things would have panned out if I had stayed.
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 12:06:30 PM »

Good to hear this is happening.  I personally think there is a strong case to be made for apprenticeships, the more traditional academic degree qualifications being somewhat over-common and over-rated these days.  Part of my last job was recruitment of engineering staff and I was amazed at the number of 'highly qualified' grad's that had not a clue about the real-world technology, and no signs of any real aptitude.

Absolutely, the best thing I ever did in 1966. A good grounding in all aspects of the job which was invaluable until I left in 2007

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 12:07:36 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, lads. I also believe the BT apprenticeships are a great catch. You can to a point, choose which avenue you wish to take within BT .... it doesn't automatically mean you will end up on the front-line, so to speak.  :)

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 12:14:01 PM »

Yep, must admit as a 16 year old I didn't expect to end up travelling all over the world with the job. I'm not sure the opportunities are as good now as they were, but still pretty good I would imagine.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 12:31:18 PM »

As you say, maybe not as many opps to travel the world ........... but a fantastic place to climb the corporate ladder, and rather quickly,  if that's one's calling ???

The company invest deeply with the apprentices, as opposed to the ex-MoD, new starters, etc ...... who get  a couple of weeks training/shadowing and then get tagged as suitable to start work in the network. Anyhows, I'll leave that one there as I don't want to deter from the good thing that BT is doing here.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 05:26:57 PM »

Excellent news. Something for which the company should be congratulated.  :clap:

Thank you, B*Sheep, for posting the details.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 05:57:14 PM »

Thanks Mr Cat ...... I hope someone gets one as a result of posting on here ...... a friend of a friends son/daughter etc etc ......
they are what I would call a lucrative apprenticeship.  :)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 07:51:26 PM »

I do have just one reservation...  the link BS posted takes us to a cheerful looking young lass, apparently atop some kind of tower, or scaffold.

All well and good, but some of us don't do heights very well, looks downright terrifying to me.  Just a step away from that famous photo of Empire State Building construction workers eating their lunch on a girder.   :o

Hopefully, for anybody like me, there might be jobs at ground-level too?    :D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 08:11:52 PM »

Thank you for posting.   

Im in total agreement with 7LMs comments about apprenticeships.    Used to be the same in the banking industry, there were 3 or 4 pathways. 
You could work your way up through 1) pure hard work,  2) you could work your way up and do financial exams and still have a solid grounding in all aspects.  3) Enter as a graduate.  4) Enter and stay as say cashier. 

These days a lot of firms are just looking for type 3 or 4.   I was a 1) supplemented by 2) who at one stage was responsible for fast tracking and training of type 3).   I know which type tend to make the better managers as they have a full understanding of what the job entails.   

Im also pleased that BT seem to lately be putting type 2 in as their CEOs.  Its also a British company... and hell Im proud of that too.   
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 01:00:24 AM »

I'd just like to point out that being a type 3) doesn't automatically make one immune to being a type 1) or 2). Honestly!

I guess the trick is to realise that the end of your education isn't the end of your education.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 09:03:14 AM »

I'd just like to point out that being a type 3) doesn't automatically make one immune to being a type 1) or 2). Honestly!

I guess the trick is to realise that the end of your education isn't the end of your education.

Exactly !  Unfortunately a lot of people, of all types, think they know it all by the time they are 20 or so.