Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Vectoring/G.fast modems future....  (Read 13879 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member
Re: Vectoring/G.fast modems future....
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 03:12:04 AM »

I'm hoping G.fast will start being rolled out this year.

I wonder if we'll have to buy the modems to access G.fast? I can't see them just giving them away.

Aren't A1 Telekom in Austria(had world's first G.fast customer) expecting to launch their G.fast service this year? I suppose other providers around the world will be doing similar?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2016, 07:34:50 AM »

How long did the 1st G.INP trial on FTTC last before it was rolled out nationwide on huawei cabinets the MK1 ? and all that was needed was a software update on the MSAN and a G.INP capable modem.

I Just have a feeling that broadband users expect everthing yesterday I can understand that as life is short and we have become an impatient society towards our national broadband provider Openreach.
My predication G.Fast nationwide rollout 2017/18 and it won't be a simple transition but then thats were the trials come in.

Well said that man. Common-sense prevails.  ;) :)

someonesomewhere

• Just arrived
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »

Yes, I'm on the Swansea trial as mentioned upthread. This is a small-scale technical trial covering only 100 users in multiple-dwelling units and multiple-tenant office buildings.

I would certainly hope that that I'm not being hit by contention. I was the first user connected to my DP. Now there are two. Openreach would have to be pretty inept to fail to provision enough bandwidth to the DP to support two users! More generally, I would charitably expect them to provision enough bandwidth to meet the objectives of the trial, which is for us to give the service a real workout and see how well it works.

Is it?

Serious question but if its a small technical trial surely its more about proving they can get FTTB to work and learning the lessons around that (installation, interference issues, real life deployment etc.) rather than seeing how end users behaviour changes. Not that such information is not useful but I would expect a second larger trial for that purpose - I suspect 100 premises is too small for that

Yes. While it is certainly true that Openreach use these trials to gain experience in the areas you mention (installation, interference, real-life deployment - I think my own installation taught them some lessons there), they also want to observe how the service actually performs for customers. We've been specifically asked to use the G.fast service as our primary broadband service and not to hold back. We've been promised ultrafast broadband and we've been asked to take advantage of it. The clear implication is that one of the tickbox items on their list is to see that the technology can actually deliver the speeds they're promising in real-world scenarios.

There have already been larger trials - this is not the first. There have been previous customer trials in Huntingdon and Gosforth, each covering around 2,000 homes. They've already proven that the technology works. This Swansea trial is their first higher-density deployment, targeting exclusively large apartment blocks and office buildings rather than single-family dwellings.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2016, 09:36:01 PM »

Yes, I'm on the Swansea trial as mentioned upthread. This is a small-scale technical trial covering only 100 users in multiple-dwelling units and multiple-tenant office buildings.

I would certainly hope that that I'm not being hit by contention. I was the first user connected to my DP. Now there are two. Openreach would have to be pretty inept to fail to provision enough bandwidth to the DP to support two users! More generally, I would charitably expect them to provision enough bandwidth to meet the objectives of the trial, which is for us to give the service a real workout and see how well it works.

if there is only 2 then I dont think its contention, and that was unlikely anyway.

STIN518 details the setup, and suggests that the DPU is likely wired back to a dedicated later 2 switch with pt-pt 1 gigabit fibre. The connection from the layer 2 switch to the ISP is then also likely to be a 1 gigabit cablelink fibre pair.

If contention is happening, it might be the cablelink, not the backhaul from DPU to the L2S. This will be shared with more than 2 users.

We've also seen a recent case where someone was probably set up with a 300Mbps product, but back hauled over WBC on something with less capacity. We don't know what the ISPs are doing for backhaul out of Swansea.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2016, 10:42:34 PM »

There have already been larger trials - this is not the first. There have been previous customer trials in Huntingdon and Gosforth, each covering around 2,000 homes. They've already proven that the technology works. This Swansea trial is their first higher-density deployment, targeting exclusively large apartment blocks and office buildings rather than single-family dwellings.

Yes, your trial is slightly different - its not about G.fast as such but how that copes in a FTTB environment - hence why your trial is specifically described as a technical trial (an earlier stage than the others).

In that sense,its closer to how Hyperoptic are deploying fibre or some foreign telco's such as in Korea.

How it manages in large apartment blocks could potentially be very different to how it copes in houses.
Pages: 1 2 [3]