Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Cab Full  (Read 7954 times)

atkinsong

• Reg Member
Re: Cab Full
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2016, 11:11:15 AM »

VDSL2 provides up to 40Mb/s over FTTC

Surely that figure is way out of date as well!

[Moderator edited in an attempt to fix the broken quotation.]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:24:28 PM by burakkucat »
ISP:A&A, FTTP 160/30, Router Fritzbox 7530

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2016, 11:48:44 AM »

The meeting is held by BT Wholesale. The fibre updates in all the presentations I mentioned (according to the slides) were done by Neil Tye. He's described variously as "Head of Product Management WBC FTTX", "Head of Fibre Broadband", "Head of Product Management –Fibre & Business Services".

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2016, 12:29:10 PM »

VDSL2 provides up to 40Mb/s over FTTC

Surely that figure is way out of date as well!

This was the headline figure back in 2009 ...... I did mention Ian was covering mile-stone events from Openreach's birth, 10yrs ago.  ;) Granted, the way the sentence is constructed it does leap from then to now, and back.

[Moderator edited in an attempt to fix the broken quotation.]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 04:23:09 PM by burakkucat »

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2016, 02:24:57 PM »

FWIW BT's annual report states it has (in total) around 98,000 PCPs and 4.7million DPs in its local access network

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2016, 10:00:02 AM »

Thank you for finding that gt ................. just to clarify for those who are unawares ........... PCP's are the existing Cabs, not the FTTC Cabs that Ian (OR Chief Engineer) alludes to.  :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2016, 02:37:33 PM »

There was an openreach fella in the cab on Sunday morning, can't imagine they'd be doing new connections or faults at that time, so I can only assume he was wiring up some new pairs to the fibre cab?

He was in the PCP, not the Fibre cab.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2016, 03:57:48 PM »

Sundays, albeit at overtime rates, are pretty much 'Business as usual' days to us so I would humbly suggest he was working on a fault, rather than providing FTTC relief ?? They tend to be in 2-man gangs anyway, as a norm.  :)

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2016, 04:46:02 PM »

Maybe, I just didn't think they did faults / activation on a Sunday, or that OR would pay overtime for either of these on a Sunday! Just make the user wait until the Monday unless it was a fault that was affecting everyone on the cab I guess.

The checker now shows available for my cab, but underneath it says unavailable... that's just going to confuse people!

http://i.imgur.com/ukIwS3x.png

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »

Nope ...... we work on Sundays doing 'Business as usual' faults. The provisioning tasks are minimal and if the EU requests a 'Sunday installation', they will have to cover our overtime costs.

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2016, 09:31:10 PM »

Sundays, albeit at overtime rates, are pretty much 'Business as usual' days to us so I would humbly suggest he was working on a fault, rather than providing FTTC relief ?? They tend to be in 2-man gangs anyway, as a norm.  :)

Year before last I had a OR engineer turn up Christmas eve at 4:30pm, didn't leave until he fixed the fault some 2 hours later,wonderful service. :clap:

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2016, 09:59:24 PM »

:thumbs:

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2016, 09:01:31 AM »

Well you learn something new every day  ;D

I've also had good experience from OR, twice an engineer has spent most of the day (about 5 hours) trying to sort my line out. There was only the one who was like "LTOK, gone" one of the times the line dropped as he was doing the test, probably the best time it could have happened  :D

KIAB

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2016, 01:49:40 PM »

Well you learn something new every day  ;D

I've also had good experience from OR, twice an engineer has spent most of the day (about 5 hours) trying to sort my line out. There was only the one who was like "LTOK, gone" one of the times the line dropped as he was doing the test, probably the best time it could have happened  :D

Shame they can't clone one or two of the OR engineers I have had here, they had real dedication to the work, not like few younger ones who gave up finding a solution to the continuing problems I had.

Last year OR engineer came to do line tests, line dropped while he was here, & he then spent 2 days here sorting out numerous faults he kept finding, & fixed them one by one on my line, including some network rearrangement work to get me the speed that dsl checker had estimated. :yay:
« Last Edit: January 19, 2016, 01:55:04 PM by KIAB »

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2016, 02:41:21 PM »

Good to hear, at least there are a good amount of decent ones out there! Some positive feedback for OR for once  ;D
Pages: 1 [2]

anything