Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lower than estimated sync speed  (Read 9009 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Lower than estimated sync speed
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2016, 05:41:38 PM »

It's also about insurance. If things change, the rfi environment changes or mains cables end up getting near to your rj11 cable (I'm calling it that, but think it actually has RJ45 plugs as the two standards are in fact so very closely similar, externally, that a lot of plugs are actually RJ45 when you would expect RJ11) then you're still covered.

Danlowild

« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2016, 05:50:28 PM »

Good point. A friend of mine had a faulty power supply somewhere in his house that created so much rfi that his 80Mbps connection dropped to about 8-9Mbps over a few weeks. It took a BT engineer with a spectrum analyser several weeks to figure it out. I guess a nicely shielded cable would have reduced the impact of the faulty PSU.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »

Belt and braces, I keep mine extremely short. Two cables are 0.5 m and one is 1.0 m I think. I have three modems.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2016, 05:57:18 PM »

Your DS QLN looks rather poor a) compared against your US QLN & b) generally poor anyway.

Ideally, QLN would be around -140 (very quiet). As yours is around -110, that indicates that your line was certainly quite 'noisy' when the connection last resynced.

FYI, QLN & Hlog data is only updated during the training stage of a resync, whereas bitloading & SNRM fluctuate throughout the time a connection is in sync.

Do you have any older QLN graphs from when the values might have been closer to -140?

Also, do you have any recent & older Hlog graphs to compare? i.e. to see if the line's physical properties have changed.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2016, 05:59:22 PM »

Apol., what's QLN?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 11, 2016, 06:00:00 PM »

Hlog is the transfer function iirc, log thereof.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2016, 06:01:36 PM »

@Danlowild - And welcome to the forum, Btw

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: January 11, 2016, 06:15:37 PM »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2016, 06:17:05 PM »

Hlog is the transfer function iirc, log thereof.

Hlog is attenuation over frequency. Example graph attached from my own connection.

The smooth downward curves, showing attenuation increasing with frequency is good (for my 1100m or so line length).

A 'V' shape in any of the curves would indicate a bridged tap/star wiring issue etc.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:21:02 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2016, 06:18:10 PM »

So was I nearly right?

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 11, 2016, 06:20:53 PM »

I meant the function (of frequency) that maps the Fourier transform of the input to the Fourier transform of the output.

Danlowild

« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2016, 06:21:49 PM »

Thanks Bald_Eagle1. I did think that my QLN graph looked a bit more noisy than a lot of other lines but is this noise due to something outside my control like crosstalk or is there something in my house spewing out rfi. That's what I've been asking myself and why I went out and bought a shielded modem cable.

Unfortunately I don't have any stats or graphs from the first couple of months when my line was syncing at 80/20 so I'm not sure if the line has always been this noisy or it was just a short term event at the time of the last resync.

As far as I could tell, the Hlog looked OK with nothing particularly nasty on the line.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 06:24:57 PM »

I meant the function (of frequency) that maps the Fourier transform of the input to the Fourier transform of the output.

You may well be right, but I see it simply as attenuation increases as frequency increases & those further from the cabinet see attenuation increase more than those close to the cabinet.

I have attached an example from a much shorter connection that can usually achieve the 80Mbps sync speed whereas mine is around 22 Mbps

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 06:30:23 PM »

Thanks Bald_Eagle1. I did think that my QLN graph looked a bit more noisy than a lot of other lines but is this noise due to something outside my control like crosstalk or is there something in my house spewing out rfi. That's what I've been asking myself and why I went out and bought a shielded modem cable.

Unfortunately I don't have any stats or graphs from the first couple of months when my line was syncing at 80/20 so I'm not sure if the line has always been this noisy or it was just a short term event at the time of the last resync.

As far as I could tell, the Hlog looked OK with nothing particularly nasty on the line.

My own QLN graphs have deteriorated over time as crosstalk has gradually increased.

In your case, it could have been a short term event or a single crosstalk disturber could have been the cause which result in a more permanent speed reduction.

The reduced SNRM does suggest this is a more permanent issue (possibly a HR fault, but my guess is crosstalk).
Without access to previous stats/graphs, it has to be more of guess, I'm afraid.

My connection has gradually lost around 30% of its originally achievable DS sync speed.
Other users have sometimes seen such a permanent drop in one hit.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 06:33:00 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Danlowild

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2016, 06:44:49 PM »

If I could be sure I wouldn't lose more DS speed I would restart the modem to see how the QLN changes. I already lost 18% of my original speed overnight and really don't want to lose any more. My max attainable DS is sitting at 58904 Kbps at the moment, if I restart, I'm assuming it will re-sync at this lower speed when it starts up again.

I guess my options are:

1) Wait for vectoring to be rolled out and hope that crosstalk is the source of my problem
2) Ask Sky to change my line profile to the "Speed" profile and put up with more frequent re-syncs
Pages: 1 [2] 3