Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Best time to sync?  (Read 13757 times)

jaydog

• Reg Member
Best time to sync?
« on: March 17, 2008, 08:40:02 PM »

Whats the best time of day to reboot your router to get the highest sync you can?

Thanks

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Best time to sync?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2008, 09:14:49 PM »

There's really no sensible answer to that. It depends on how local interference varies over the day. In most cases interference is higher at night, so forcing a resync during the day will get you the highest connection speed, but if you leave the router on it will very likely drop the connection at some other time. And the more often you drop the connection, the more likely it is that the exchange DLM process will increase your target noise margin to stabilise the connection.
  Eric

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 09:21:51 PM »

this only happens if you drop the connection 10 times in an hr.

Astral

• Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 09:23:26 PM »

Well if you know so much, why are you asking us mere mortals for advice, Jaydog?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 03:36:42 AM »

Whats the best time of day to reboot your router to get the highest sync you can?

Thanks

http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=1647.msg55859#msg55859
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 03:42:09 AM »

May I ask where you got that info from?  Ive never seen that quoted before.

Certainly isnt the case with my line - took one bad sync to drop me down to a 500kbps profile.
I know mr_chris's line kicks in after only a couple of bad syncs... and not necessarily in the same day.
In fact Im sure that theres many, many people who would testify that isnt reality.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

MikeS

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:05:40 AM »

My guess is that it came from a BTw Publication,  Broadband  Max Myths and Legends 06/09/2006

to quote

8.5 How many times can my line retrain per day before DLM acts?
This is a BT Wholesale configurable parameter, but currently if a line retrains more than 10 times in any single hour period DLM will take action.
It is therefore inadvisable to manually retrain a line more than 10 times in a single hour as DLM will interpret this as line instability

Have to say I put this in one of my posts during my ironic phase. 

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 10:07:18 AM »

'Ironic' is right. It seems to be another large gap between theory and practice.
  Eric

MikeS

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 10:13:16 AM »

There is supposed to be an updated version of 'myths & legends' coming out.  Think it is being organised by Mr Saffron at Thinkbroadband - be interesting to see if this advice has changed

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 10:18:11 AM »

For best time to sync, use something like routerstats to get a graph of your SNR margin over a few 24 hour periods. There may be a place where SNR is at its highest - that time is where you would get the highest sync speed if you were to connect then.

You should take notice of Eric's warnings about DLM etc. Playing with your connection too much more will make the target SNR go up to 12dB or even 15dB... and then you really wouldn't be a happy bunny.
Chris

b4dger

• Reg Member
    • HmmmUK
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 10:58:44 AM »

May I ask where you got that info from?  Ive never seen that quoted before.

Certainly isnt the case with my line - took one bad sync to drop me down to a 500kbps profile.
I know mr_chris's line kicks in after only a couple of bad syncs... and not necessarily in the same day.
In fact Im sure that theres many, many people who would testify that isnt reality.

Kitz,
You might be getting confused with target SNR and IP Profile here.

As you know your IP Profile will take a 'hit' after one low sync event.
The '10 times in an hour' quote from the BT document I believe is referring to changing your target SNR if it believes the line has a problem.

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 11:08:29 AM »

Wellt he morning is obviously the best time to sync as my sync went from 4012 (sync in evening) then i rebooted this morning and it increased to 4670 which as long as I can hold onto this, my profile will go to 4000

Thats all I wanted to know really.

Also, Roseway all I said was that you shouldnt disconnect the router 10 times in an hr as DLM would probably kick in.
Astral - I never said I knew so much, I was just saying what I had read on other sites, didn't mean any harm by what I said.

Anyway, problem sorted now so might aswell close the thread. Thanks.

mr_chris

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 11:25:17 AM »

Wellt he morning is obviously the best time to sync

For your particular line in your particular location. It might be the worst time of day for someone else, depending on local factors and sources of interference, etc.

Just wanted to clarify that for others reading this thread.

And, I certainly didn't reconnect anywhere near 10 times in an hour, and my SNR ratio still went up. That was after 6 months of syncing at 8128kbps, followed by a handful of bad syncs, and like I say, it was nowhere near 10 resyncs!
Chris

jaydog

• Reg Member
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »

i think its all about tweaking. having an increased snr is good because from my findings, im back to my normal good speed of 4mb without disconnections!

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 12:58:22 PM »

>> You might be getting confused with target SNR and IP Profile here.

I do apologise - yes I was - blaming the late hour and lack of sleep , trying to catch up with stuff.  :-[

I do recall that doc now - and several people at the time still dissing the contents as being not true to reality. 
-----
Pages: [1] 2