Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Vectoring/G.fast modems future....  (Read 13979 times)

phi2008

• Reg Member

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: Vectoring/G.fast modems future....
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2016, 01:43:36 PM »

will g.fast only work properly on half the rollout when they cut corners on a second supplier?  :P

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2016, 09:39:10 PM »

will g.fast only work properly on half the rollout when they cut corners on a second supplier?  :P

You should be released from the constraints the ECI cabinet has when the new MSAN tec is strapped onto your DP pole.

someonesomewhere

• Just arrived
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2016, 08:43:15 AM »

Are you using reverse power(listed as a feature of the router)?

I don't know. No manual was provided for the unit and I can't find one online - we were only given an abridged cheat sheet that documents just a couple of the status LEDs - so it's unclear whether there's even an indicator for reverse power status. Most of the icons are inscrutable.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2016, 10:26:03 AM »

I don't think Openreach are planning/trialling using reverse power for G.Fast but instead plan to provide forward power which could be provided using the grid, FTTC cabinets and/or E-side copper lines.

Of course, this may change in future but I wouldn't expect it any time soon.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2016, 05:39:22 PM »

You should be released from the constraints the ECI cabinet has when the new MSAN tec is strapped onto your DP pole.

*fingers crossed*

in case it wasnt obvious it was a tongue in cheek comment so hope no offense to BT bods :)

I am still pretty happy with my ECI crippled service, VDSL for me is vastly superior to both VM cable and ye old ADSL.

someonesomewhere

• Just arrived
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2016, 11:21:35 PM »

Someone asked about speed. The speeds I observe aren't very stable; I've seen downstream speeds (as reported by the BT Wholesale performance test) as low as 65 Mbps and as high as 195 Mbps (once, immediately after installation) but it mostly stays around the 160-170 Mbps range. The numbers can vary very widely minute by minute, so it doesn't seem like this would be my actual line sync speed fluctuating (would it veer so sharply over such a short time?) but I can't find out because I have no access to the 240W modem.

The BTW test currently reports 173.49 Mbps down, 38.63 Mbps up and 20.38 ms latency.

The Ookla speed test reports (unsurprisingly) significantly slower upstream speed and (oddly) faster upstream.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2016, 01:19:29 AM »

Hi someonesomewhere, is that the g.fast trial you on?

There is 2 things to take into consideration here.

As end user speeds increase it will become harder to sustain such speeds on tests and downloads, although I think that point should be above the speeds you have reported.
Second, the contention ratio on g.fast is a lot inferior to what is on the VDSL2 service, due to the bandwidth provisioned to the g.fast node vs the bandwidth each end user has access to, so it might be congestion.

Both of these are speculation tho as we dont know much about your local setup and any external factors that may be affecting your speeds, but thanks for the report here.

someonesomewhere

• Just arrived
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2016, 09:34:20 AM »

Yes, I'm on the Swansea trial as mentioned upthread. This is a small-scale technical trial covering only 100 users in multiple-dwelling units and multiple-tenant office buildings.

I would certainly hope that that I'm not being hit by contention. I was the first user connected to my DP. Now there are two. Openreach would have to be pretty inept to fail to provision enough bandwidth to the DP to support two users! More generally, I would charitably expect them to provision enough bandwidth to meet the objectives of the trial, which is for us to give the service a real workout and see how well it works.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2016, 09:38:22 AM »

The clue's in the word 'Trial'. None of us know what tweaks or other stuff they're playing with, behind the scenes ??  :)

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2016, 07:04:12 PM »

I'm hoping G.fast will start being rolled out this year.

I wonder if we'll have to buy the modems to access G.fast? I can't see them just giving them away.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2016, 07:22:39 PM »

Yes, I'm on the Swansea trial as mentioned upthread. This is a small-scale technical trial covering only 100 users in multiple-dwelling units and multiple-tenant office buildings.

I would certainly hope that that I'm not being hit by contention. I was the first user connected to my DP. Now there are two. Openreach would have to be pretty inept to fail to provision enough bandwidth to the DP to support two users! More generally, I would charitably expect them to provision enough bandwidth to meet the objectives of the trial, which is for us to give the service a real workout and see how well it works.

Is it?

Serious question but if its a small technical trial surely its more about proving they can get FTTB to work and learning the lessons around that (installation, interference issues, real life deployment etc.) rather than seeing how end users behaviour changes. Not that such information is not useful but I would expect a second larger trial for that purpose - I suspect 100 premises is too small for that

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2016, 09:51:44 PM »

How long did the 1st G.INP trial on FTTC last before it was rolled out nationwide on huawei cabinets the MK1 ? and all that was needed was a software update on the MSAN and a G.INP capable modem.

I Just have a feeling that broadband users expect everthing yesterday I can understand that as life is short and we have become an impatient society towards our national broadband provider Openreach.

My predication G.Fast nationwide rollout 2017/18 and it won't be a simple transition but then thats were the trials come in.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2016, 12:55:44 AM »

if there is only 2 then I dont think its contention, and that was unlikely anyway.
Pages: 1 [2] 3