Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unusual fault issue  (Read 2057 times)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
Unusual fault issue
« on: January 12, 2016, 03:47:28 PM »

Hi

I have a client who lost broadband this morning or last night after they finished work

It is BT business on adsl2+, running around 3.4mb down 700 approx up

The issue which is unusual, is the router, a netgear dgn300n, shows in sync at 3.4 down, 700 up approx from memory but no ppp so no internet

BT business support tested and stated it is not in sync

Has anyone seen this before

The client moved premises on the 29/12/15 but kept on the same xchange as it was just round the corner, and a port number transfer took place on or around the 5/1/16.

BT business also had different logon credentials which were the original credentials used at the previous premises for broadband to this given to me by BT business at the time

Lastly, during the tests BT undertook this morning, they said a line fault was shown at the exchange and its with the engineers to be fixed by 13/1/16, and because of this, no further help offered until fault fixed.

I did point out the router was in sync, but no ppp, and tried both user login details, even the BT test username but no connection

Any thoughts as to why or how the router can be in sync whilst the BT test shows not in sync appreciated

Many thanks

John

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: Unusual fault issue
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 04:44:41 PM »

Yes …… 99% of the time it means the card has locked up in the Exchange. The DCoE who we liaise with have a set way they have to do things to try and resolve it. It will always start with an individual port reset, then, if certain other criteria is met, they will do a card reset. If neither clear the 'bug', then they will eventually perform a 'Lift & Shift' (a new DSL port altogether).

HTH.  :)

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 05:09:21 PM »

Hi blacksheep

Many thanks, yes it makes sense thank you

Many thanks

John

d2d4j

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2016, 12:58:03 PM »

Hi

Hope you don't mind a quick update to this as follows

Guess our client is the 1% as it not a fault at the exchange or port

It is a mix up in the move and timings I guess, but I've spent all week trying to get it resolved, but as I understand it, the broadband to the old premises should have been cancelled before the number port, but number ported first and then broadband ceased.

This means at the new premises, the broadband ceased but at the old premises, broadband shown as active, even though there are no pstn lines or services to old premises.

A provision of broadband to the ported number now not possible due to the broadband been shown as active already that number

The above took me 2 days to come to the conclusion with the help from a lovely chap at business support, the last one I spoke too after many people in support, whom kept staring exchange fault found, then reporting the above to the dedicated movers team, which started an investigation and confirmed the above today

So hopefully by next Tuesday, our client may have service restored whilst all issues are then resolved, but movers team fast tracked the cease of broadband yesterday, and nothing happened, no cease took place, so heyho, but I asked if by Monday it still not ceased, to have the new premises pstn renumbered and provision broadband then resolve as client should be online

Sorry for the long post, but just thought I'd update my thread, but I do have say, some people in BT are good, more important they listen first, but some do not

Many thanks

John

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 02:16:56 PM »

At least you've got a result, sir. Good stuff.

My scenario was assuming that the circuit was connected as it should have been, we weren't to know that the full porting process had not been performed.  :)