Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unable to switch ISP due to high demand  (Read 1779 times)

scotsman

• Just arrived
Unable to switch ISP due to high demand
« on: December 29, 2015, 07:38:00 PM »

Hi

Does anyone have advice on how to handle the following:

1. I currently have Sky Fibre connected and running fine on an upto 40Mb plan
2. I'd like to move to BT Infinity - basically to save money as I'm ditching sky telly
3. BT website says Infinity isn't available on my line (and confirmed via online chat)
4, OpenReach availability checker says I'm in a high demand area and fibre not available.

As a result, to retain FTTC I think I'm now stuck with Sky which seems perverse as my line already has a FTTC connection, albeit with a different ISP.

Am I trapped with Sky? What else can be done....?

Thanks in advance.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Unable to switch ISP due to high demand
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2015, 08:04:06 PM »

> Am I trapped with Sky

No. There are lots of ISPs in the world. Take a look at ispreview.co.uk

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 09:25:10 PM »

As far as I can understand the situation you can try to move but if you do there is risk that your line will be released and then not be available to you with your new ISP.   I don't think anyone knows how big that risk is.   The risk is bigger if the telephone service does not use BT equipment e.g. higher risk with TalkTalk llu enabled exchanges and TalkTalk as the starting ISP.

benji09

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 09:41:16 PM »

That seems odd. If you are on Sky's FTTC,  you have already got a FTTC port anyway. Surely BT would just need to re-route the circuit over the fibre ? Even easier, why not stay with Sky for broadband and phone only - I dont think their charges are any worse than BT's are they?   I am also with Sky, and as much as I hate them, I have found their service to be very reliable. We also have another broadband connection to my home ( Virgin ) which has had in the past more slow downs, and drops than my Sky circuit. 
  Incidentally, I don't use Sky for making any outgoing phone calls, as I use a Sipgate V.O.I.P. line for that, as the call costs are far, far cheaper...............

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 10:33:59 PM »

As far as I can understand the situation you can try to move but if you do there is risk that your line will be released and then not be available to you with your new ISP.   .

Spot on Les if the FTTC cabinet is full there is a good possibility your FTTC slot will be allocated to a new user other than yourself during this ISP transfer and then find you cant't get FTTC until the next user cancels there FTTC service.

anything