Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Ultra-long line beyond 63.5 dB attn  (Read 29920 times)

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
Re: Ultra-long line beyond 63.5 dB attn
« Reply #90 on: January 13, 2016, 04:01:52 PM »

I contacted HIE or similar before Xmas, was told: FTTC will be happening in Broadford. It's all very exciting for other people. We couldn't give a stuff about rural uses such as you, after all this is only the Highlands so goodbye and enjoy others' joy.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #91 on: January 22, 2016, 08:14:24 AM »

Just out of interest, how much would it cost to run 4.55 mi of fibre from the back of the Broadford exchange to my house Torr Gorm, the first house (northernmost) in Heasta? (Rhymes with E. haste, laced.) There are no walls, houses or other artificial barriers if you stay on the W side of the Heasta road.

The current copper cable may or may not lie on the W side of the Heasta road between Harrapul and the Water Works where the cable could advantageously go under the road at the water board bridge to cross to the E side of the road, but for what ever reason, I see that on the high moor the cable is on the E side of the road all the way til Heasta.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: January 22, 2016, 09:30:00 AM »

Just out of interest, how much would it cost to run 4.55 mi of fibre from the back of the Broadford exchange to my house Torr Gorm, the first house (northernmost) in Heasta?

Looks like either £30 or £25 per metre, plus a number of other odds and sods.  See .. "Excess Construction Charges"

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: January 22, 2016, 10:13:28 AM »

Thanks. Shudders. Could sell the house, but then I wouldn't have anything left to run the fibre to.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #95 on: January 22, 2016, 12:46:02 PM »

We've had quotes of that sort of magnitude for customers, for example over £200K to get service into a depot in Echt, and elsewhere from memory I think it was £85K to get to a VIPs house.  Neither went ahead.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: January 22, 2016, 12:53:37 PM »

We need a Manhattan Project, to find out how to get these per unit length costs and deployment costs down by an order of magnitude.

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: January 22, 2016, 02:10:13 PM »

Just out of interest, how much would it cost to run 4.55 mi of fibre from the back of the Broadford exchange to my house Torr Gorm, the first house (northernmost) in Heasta?

Looks like either £30 or £25 per metre, plus a number of other odds and sods.

I actually think its quite possible that the costs will be a lot less than 180K+! - though that doesn't necessarily mean cheap.

This is based on:

1. Google tells me 4.55miles is around 7.3Km.
2. Once Broadford is enabled for FTTC, I assume FTTPoD will be available.
3. The current Openreach install charges for FTTPoD are here
4. FTTPoD construction charges are actually based on fibre from the nearest NGA Aggregation/fibre node (which should be near an enabled FTTC Cabinet) and I assume closer than to Weaver than the distance to the exchange.
5. BT are promising/trialling FOD2 which is supposed to be cheaper to install/use than the current FTTPoD.

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2016, 02:21:55 PM »

The costs for FTTPoD also say that there might be the Excess Construction Charges in addition to that variable connection charge.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2016, 03:05:21 PM »

@gt94sss2 in the best case, following the public road, the current route, it could be possible to knock about 0.84 mi off the current length, but no more, because there is no civilisation closer than about 3.707 mi by public road from my house, the northernmost house in Heasta, to any kind of civilisation which I have taken as the Harapul cattle grid.

The straight line route from the back of the the exchange, which is entirely doable, straight out onto the moor and heading up to the W of the Fireach Clach, the highest point on the road cuts about a mile off the road route.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #100 on: January 22, 2016, 05:35:23 PM »

Consult with the people behind B4RN -- and Walter -- about a DIY fibre installation project?  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #101 on: January 22, 2016, 06:01:55 PM »

I worked on a residential premises a good few months ago, someone who could not get FTTC, nor her immediate neighbours (all farm dwellings).

I actually mentioned B4RN and she said they'd already had a quote off them and it was astronomical (Put your own figure on what that may be). I am in no way knocking B4RN, but I think with the distances Weaver is talking about, he would need to get the entire locality on-board to make it half-affordable ??

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
Re: Ultra-long line beyond 63.5 dB a
« Reply #102 on: January 22, 2016, 06:44:10 PM »

Supposing I had not spent my money on various cars, etc etc
I presume there would be hassle from monopolistic landlords, at least they are few in number, and these are trying to get some payment for the right to cross their patch. I seem to remember my father getting a cheque for some 11p from a utility and always being most tickled.

aesmith

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: January 22, 2016, 06:49:50 PM »

4. FTTPoD construction charges are actually based on fibre from the nearest NGA Aggregation/fibre node (which should be near an enabled FTTC Cabinet) and I assume closer than to Weaver than the distance to the exchange.

A lot of these small rural exchanges have mainly or exclusively exchange only lines, no cabinet.  In Aberdeenshire what they do is stick an FTTC cabinet next to the exchange.  So what I'm getting at is that the distance to the cabinet might be no shorter.

A completely different idea, how about a point to point wireless link to someone near to the exchange?   

gt94sss2

• Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: January 22, 2016, 07:11:49 PM »

A lot of these small rural exchanges have mainly or exclusively exchange only lines, no cabinet.  In Aberdeenshire what they do is stick an FTTC cabinet next to the exchange.  So what I'm getting at is that the distance to the cabinet might be no shorter.

Yes, Openreach are not allowed to install FTTC equipment in exchanges so they install cabinets next to the exchanges to get around this - I know Weaver's exchange does have some PCP's but not if his line is connected to one. The key for FTTPoD is obviously where the nearest fibre node is.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

anything