Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Newbie coming from BT Hub 5  (Read 3364 times)

robsunited

Newbie coming from BT Hub 5
« on: September 25, 2015, 10:48:07 PM »

Hi again guys. Wouldn't be surprised if you're getting fed up with my questions etc...

Anyway, here goes. I'm on BT Infinity and just on my 3rd week with the TD-W9980. All seems to be working fine but I've begun digging a little deeper into the settings so I'm wondering if some of you guys have any insight or advice for me re the following things in 'System Tools', especially in relation to changes I might be better off making.

1st off is CWMP which I have disabled.
2nd. SNMP also disabled.
3rd. Traffic statistics LAN disabled.

Any thoughts folks? I think if I can be certain of having these things set correctly then I'm finished with the tinkering  :fingers:

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Newbie coming from BT Hub 5
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2015, 11:03:28 PM »

CWMP disabled. Good. See the Wikipedia page on TR-069.

SNMP disabled. Good. See the Wikipedia page on Simple Network Management Protocol.

As for the third option, I presume that is specific to the TD-W9980 device. Working on the principle that I don't know precisely what it does, I would turn it off.  ;)

I'm fairly sure that a fellow user of a TD-W9980 will eventually be passing by and will then explain their choice for that setting.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

robsunited

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2015, 11:10:46 PM »

That's good. At least I'm doing something right  ;)

If I could just verify one final thing with you, currently have ICMP (Ping) set to Local but I notice there is also an option for Remote, this is in Manage Control, as I don't know what this means do you think it is ok as it is currently set?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2015, 11:59:06 PM »

Ah, response to ICMP (Ping).

My preference is to have it enabled LAN side (local) but disabled WAN side (remote). If I am using a modem/router that does not let it be configured separately for local and remote, then I disable it completely. I prefer that my modem/router does not respond to any probes originating from "out there".

I "travel out" from my LAN to one of the build VMs that I use (in a parallel life) and knowing the IPv4 address that is allocated to my modem/router, I initiate a sequence of three pings to that address. Not one "pong" is returned in response to those "pings" --

Code: [Select]
[Build64R7 ~]$ ping -c 3 W.X.Y.Z
PING W.X.Y.Z (W.X.Y.Z) 56(84) bytes of data.

--- 92.20.246.137 ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1999ms

[Build64R7 ~]$

Other persons always have it enabled, both local and remote.

You could perform an experiment of your own to see the effect of having ping enabled and disabled. Go to the GRC Internet Vulnerability Profiling Site and scan your modem/router twice, with ping response first configured enabled and then disabled.

Weaver

• Senior Kitizen
  • Retd s/w dev; A&A; 4x7km ADSL2 lines; Firebrick
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2015, 03:32:34 AM »

I completely agree with Burakkucat. If you don't have a use for it, it's perhaps better to not be responsive to PINGs coming from the outside. This is just in case bad people should decide to misuse it for who knows what reason.

My network is PINGable from the outside however, the reason being that if I'm away, which does happen, then I can do a quick test across the Internet see that my main DSL connection at home is working and my router is up.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2015, 07:29:06 AM »

I have a feeling that Windows systems depend on remote ping being enabled to support path MTU discovery. It's not something I've ever looked at closely because Linux systems don't seem to suffer from MTU problems.
  Eric

robsunited

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2015, 10:48:56 AM »

Local it shall remain. I think I had read elsewhere it was the best setting (leaving Remote disabled). Think I'm content all my settings are correct now. Many thanks to you all, you have been a mine of information. Cheers!!!

licquorice

• Reg Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 04:45:48 PM »

d.
2nd. SNMP also disabled.
3rd. Traffic statistics LAN disabled.

Any thoughts folks? I think if I can be certain of having these things set correctly then I'm finished with the tinkering  :fingers:

Trafic statistics LAN just gives basic stats for any devices that are or have been connected to the LAN.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 05:16:35 PM »

Trafic statistics LAN just gives basic stats for any devices that are or have been connected to the LAN.

Thank you for the clarification.  :)

anything