Announcements > News Articles

For info .... Openreach 10G Ethernet

<< < (2/2)

kitz:
Thank you BS.

waltergmw:
Gentlefolk,

Being just a little mischievous, a certain rural Lancashire project has beaten this announcement with such a symmetric service being available to any end user since their systems went live at the end of 2012 !

However, as you might expect, even the new commercial businesses attracted into the area seem quite content with their 1 Gig symmetric service costing £30.00 inc VAT for domestic and small businesses with 5 staff. The larger businesses are charged at £150.00.

Although there is plenty of trunk capacity available, the whole network has four active 10 Gig wavelengths using a dual diverse-routed distribution configuration to every cabinet. However the newly commissioned cabinets are made live for obvious reasons before every diverse loop is  completed.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz:
I think BT have been offering 10G in certain areas since 2012.  If memory serves correct, some company in Cornwall got it first and up until now it was only available from certain locations.

My understanding from the latest announcement is that it is now available Nationwide- as long as you are willing to stump up for installation.  I haven't checked, but I've no doubt this will /could run into several thousand £.

Weaver:
More hopeless drooling from Weaver at the thought of 10G.

["Yeah, why not?

Why did I buy that car a few years back? I could have _happily_ given some money to BT." (Not joking)]

But then, what would RevK use to terminate the pipe for me? Into what/to where? <Prepositions needed.>

Damn, my dream is coming apart at the seams.

sorc:

--- Quote from: kitz on October 18, 2015, 10:24:09 PM ---I think BT have been offering 10G in certain areas since 2012.  If memory serves correct, some company in Cornwall got it first and up until now it was only available from certain locations.

My understanding from the latest announcement is that it is now available Nationwide- as long as you are willing to stump up for installation.  I haven't checked, but I've no doubt this will /could run into several thousand £.

--- End quote ---

The company in Cornwall was possibly ARCOL UK (I remember the press guff) - but that was BT playing with X-GPON as part of the Superfast Cornwall stuff, so if BT ever gets the FTTP-is-actually-great epiphany that other formerly VDSL-leaning telcos are receiving, they might make that a commercial product for those who don't have the deep pockets for a leased line. Or perhaps for consumer/small business 1+Gbit if G.FAST can't deliver the goods

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version