Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Strange problem sky broadband phone extension  (Read 3375 times)

Rich8888

• Just arrived
Strange problem sky broadband phone extension
« on: October 25, 2015, 10:22:20 PM »

Hi all
I have recently moved house and have signed up with sky for their unlimited fibre package. The previous owners had left a plug in telephone extension which is connected into the master socket in the hall way and feeds through into the living room. I decided to try plugging the router into extension first as I have a number of devices that either need or benefit from a wired connection there and I was curious to see what speed I would get. I was able to get a connection to the Internet but speed was poor at 4mbps.

I then decided to plug the router into the master socket  but was unable to establish an Internet connection, the Internet icon flickers on the router but does not become solid and turn white as before. I then tried removing the faceplate off of the master socket and plugging into the test socket , but the result was the same as I was unable to connect . I then plugged into the router back into the extension and I've got a connection to the Internet again

Does anyone have any thoughts as to why I can only get a connection to the Internet by plugging into the extension  cable as this doesn't seem to make sense to me. When plugging into the master socket I've put the microfilter in the correct position as directed and have tried both micro filters supplied in case 1 was faulty. Any suggestions welcome as I'm scratching my head on this one.

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Strange problem sky broadband phone extension
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 11:07:56 PM »

Sounds like what you think is an extension socket is actually the master, and what you think is the master is actually an extension.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 01:34:25 AM »

It might be worthwhile taking a few pictures of both sockets, wiring, etc, and attaching them to a post to this thread or putting them in a public location where they can be viewed.

The situation you have described is certainly peculiar.  ???
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 03:34:32 PM »

Sounds like what you think is an extension socket is actually the master, and what you think is the master is actually an extension.

This.

In our house there is currently a NTE5 (1990's vintage) in the living room. This was the original master socket but way way back when ADSL started in the UK then the only option was a BT-supplied USB modem. This meant the master socket generally had to be moved to where the computer was (yes I know you couldn't make this up if you tried :lol: ) - which it was upstairs where it has remained to this day.

The socket in the living room therefore became an extension & was disconnected during some (personal) fault-finding when VDSL2 (FTTC) was put in. I never bothered reconnecting it as all the phones were DECT anyway.

That's one way this sort of stuff happens, even when all the work is done for a reason and mainly done by BT :)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 03:37:20 PM by rizla »

Rich8888

• Just arrived
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2015, 10:18:33 PM »

When I say extension I mean a crappy plug in one that runs under the carpet , there is only one phone socket in the house and I can clearly see where the phone cable enters the house so this will definitely be the master socket.

Please see attached pictures of the extension, socket wiring, and phone socket

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2015, 10:39:15 PM »

Did you use the microfilter when you plugged the router into the test socket?

Was there any wiring on the back of the faceplate?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:36:04 AM »

Looking at the photographs and then re-reading the description in the initial post leaves me totally baffled.  ???

I am unable to explain it.

Rich8888

• Just arrived
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 07:48:40 AM »

I tried the test socket both with and without the micro filter connected but the result was the same and I was unable to connect. No wiring on the back of the faceplate, the only connected wiring is the orange and White wires you can see in the photo. Is this normal?

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »

How did you plug the modem into the test socket without using the micro filter? It's a BT phone socket but an RJ11 plug?

ejs

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2015, 01:13:00 PM »

It looks like that microfilter is the kind with a very short but detachable RJ11 - BT cable, so that could be used.

I can't explain the issue either. Does an ordinary telephone work when plugged in to the test socket?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2015, 04:26:55 PM »

. . . the only connected wiring is the orange and White wires you can see in the photo. Is this normal?

We see the overhead drop cable leading directly into the back box of the NTE5/A, a rubberised boot has been fitted to the cable end (ensuring that fingers or paws are not spiked by the three steel strength members) and the first pair (orange & white) of wires out of the two pairs available is used.

Absolutely standard. A very clean and tidy installation. :)