Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Curious performance of a BT FTTC connection  (Read 1376 times)

bbnovice

• Reg Member
Curious performance of a BT FTTC connection
« on: September 06, 2015, 02:54:49 PM »

Hi

I'm posting this out of curiosity rathere than ot beinbg a huge issue.

I'm on a 80/20 BT Infinity connection. Normally the ping is around 20-30 and the sync speed is a constant 63.49/20. These numbers are from the BT Wholesale performance tester.

I regulalrly use the BT site to monitor the connection at a high level. In the past I have used RouterStats with an unlocked HG612 but have not felt the need to do so in recent times.

However something happened to the cconnection sometime between 10th and 15th August when the ping shot up to over 90, and sometimes over 200. The sync speed remained at 63.49/20 but the connection was noticeably sluggish when browsing to the point of almost being unusable.

This continued until 3 September. I was expecting the sync to drop but it never did - when it did I was going to reinstall the monitoring software and unlocked modem.  But then on the 4th the ping returned to "normal" (20-30) and the sync has actually improved to 65.08/20. The connection performs appreciably better when browsing.

I could reinstall the monitoring software etc to gather some stats but whilst the connection is peforming OK I'm reluctant to disturb it.

It is unusual for the ping to detriorate so badly over a couple of weeks yet the sync remain unchanged?

As I said, no problem, just curious.   

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Curious performance of a BT FTTC connection
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2015, 04:17:22 PM »

If you had been running Dslstats and MDWS it would be possible to answer that question.