Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: HG612 Setup questions (unlocked firmware)  (Read 2862 times)

Jon555

HG612 Setup questions (unlocked firmware)
« on: August 17, 2015, 11:02:16 AM »

So after a while testing my HH5b (not helped by a big bunch of power cuts one day - I'm glad all the computers/servers are set not to auto-restart) I'm now on to testing the HH5a with the HG612.

I've put the 08/webgui firmware in it then configured it generally as per http://wiki.kitz.co.uk/index.php/Huawei_HG612 and I have a couple of questions I was looking for some help with:

(1) I've left the Firewall as Standard as making a Custom one I only get the interface options under IP Filtering of LAN/br0 and ALL (this is with the WAN connected). Anyone have any ideas? I set the interfaces with VDSL2 only ticked BTW. Although see (2) for how I think it may work.

(2) Does anyone know what the Firewall level of "Standard" does? It has two rules with the same priority, which I guess work top-to-bottom and seem to block all WAN access - to the modem, to the LAN or Both -  I assume the latter, but see (4). Plus if my assumption is correct won't Standard work as per the custom one shown in the Wiki?

(3) Is there a down-side to disabling the Firewall. For example would it allow WAN access to the Modem? It goes straight to the HH5a with its firewall so not much else can happen.

(4) How does the Firewall impact port forwarding that would involve externally initiated accesses,e.g. web servers, ed2k? Does it need rules made up port-by-port? (I'd assume it would, but see no mention of this anywhere online and when I had it just running BT's firmware that all worked. I have no way to tell how they set the firewall though.)

Thanks!

Jon555

Re: HG612 Setup questions (unlocked firmware)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 11:28:03 AM »

P.S. DSLStats works fine but the link from the Wiki to v5.1 of HG612 Modem Stats doesn't work. I did find what I assume is a copy here though (not tested yet as I'm using DSLStats so far):
http://www.download26.com/modules/wfdownloads/singlefile.php?cid=168&lid=2334

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 07:06:29 PM »

I didn't realise a copy could be obtained via that link.

However, as the direct download takes you to Ronski's web page, I would assume it is legit.

The reason the usual FreewareFiles.com link is currently down is that 1 or 2 AV programs falsely detect 'suspicious' behaviours.

Ronski & I are looking at revising our code to avoid this issue & expect to get it resolved within the next few days.

If you do choose to set up HG612 Modem Stats, I'll be happy to post or email the most recent program updates for you.

Jon555

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 09:19:40 PM »

Thanks, that would be great, I'm reading the (quite handy) blurb on using HG612 Modem Stats while DSLStats does its thing in the background for now. I'm not sure if they can co-exist, DSLstats has the interestingly-named option "HG612-Modem-Stats co-operation", but is quite a bit older than 5.1 so who knows (while I'm testing my new setup I'm not trying too hard to break it in novel ways). The plan is to change over to Modem Stats if it seems more useful.

BTW any ideas on the HG612 firewall settings?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »

The "HG612-Modem-Stats co-operation" option does three things:

1. It sets the sample rate to one minute, the same as HG612_Modem_Stats.
2. It sets the sample timing so that it doesn't conflict with that of HG612_Modem_Stats.
3. Both programs do a test to avoid both connecting with the modem at the same time in the event of an error condition.

You can safely run both programs using this option, but only one of them should upload to MyDSLWebStats.
  Eric