Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Lower attainable after DLM reset?  (Read 3622 times)

Mark07

• Reg Member
Lower attainable after DLM reset?
« on: August 10, 2015, 11:48:22 AM »

Hey guys, just had OR out for a fault and as part of it they did some jiggery pokery in the joint box and reset the DLM

However now my max attainable has dropped from around 46000 to 40000 (from memory) is this anything to do with me now being on fastpath not interleaved? Or as something gone wrong?

EDIT: you can see current and previous stats on MDSLWS

Ta

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Lower attainable after DLM reset?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 02:43:54 PM »

Can't see any stats for "Mark07"

Oh, there you are - you're down.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 03:06:08 PM by Dray »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 03:28:10 PM »

My guess is Mark07 has noticed the errored seconds increase since his line was reset this moved his line from an interleaved state to fastpath state and has taken the necessary step and switched off the modem it would be better to cap sync for a few days if he want's to stay on fastpath.

When interleaved i always find the max attainable sync to be much higher than the sync giving a false exaggerated impression of what your line could do.

lcl00

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015, 04:04:47 PM »

Just chirping in here.  While on fastpath my attainable and my actual sync were pretty close to each other.  When DLM took action and put interleaving on, the attainable shot up by about 2mbits while the actual sync dropped by about 4mbits (so there's now about a 6mbit disparity between the two now).

Is there a reason why the modems exaggerate the attainable rates once interleaving is applied?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 04:43:35 PM »

Is there a reason why the modems exaggerate the attainable rates once interleaving is applied?

I know Kitz or Baldeagle1 explained this somewhere but don't have energy to search for the link to thread as I'm down with man flu  :sick:

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015, 05:30:23 PM »

I know Kitz or Baldeagle1 explained this somewhere

I probably mentioned this phenomenon a long time ago, but it could have been kitz or WWWombat that explained the reasons behind it.

but don't have energy to search for the link to thread as I'm down with man flu  :sick:

My sympathies to you, NS.
It's a bit like the attainable rates thing really.
Kitz is no doubt aware of the FACT that man flu is far, far worse than woman flu, but I bet she can't explain the reason why  ;)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015, 09:30:47 PM »

I don't think I ever managed to explain the reasons behind this phenomenon, but I'm sure there is something deep down in the line coding.

What seemed to happen (very roughly) was that, when DLM intervened, the actual speed went down by around 8-10% but the attainable speed went up by the same amount (unless, of course, your package limitation got in the way). Removal of the FEC & interleaving triggered by DLM would undo this - so speed would increase by that same 8-10% value, and attainable would drop back to match.

Looking at MDWS, that may have happened here to some extent, but other factors look to be at play too. From the look of the Errored Seconds graph, I'd say that DLM will likely intervene again soon.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2015, 10:37:03 PM »

My sympathies to you, NS.

Thanks B_E1 you know what i am falling apart my mouse scroll wheel finger has developed arthritis i blame this on my younger gameing days and i am only 48 can't blame it on the Amiga as it never had one

imagine having to use a squirt of voltaren gel to use the scroll wheel things are going down hill.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 10:42:02 PM by NewtronStar »

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 09:59:18 AM »

Thanks for the input guys, yeah i mentioned the errors when he was here but he said they were nothing to worry about *sigh* looks like I'm going back to interleaved but as long as it's stable (reason for the visit) I'm not going to make too much of a fuss.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 05:24:16 PM »

Your on the speed profile mark so if you stay below 2880 ES per 24 hours (low end of Amber) you could get away with it.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 04:07:21 PM »

Hopefully, we'll see how it  goes :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 05:55:12 PM »

Hopefully, we'll see how it  goes :)

Unfortunately you have gone above 2880 yesterday with 5313 errored seconds the evenings looks like a noisey time for you.

Mark07

• Reg Member
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2015, 12:06:42 PM »

Yep back to interleaved and even a few meg less sync since I had my pair changed, he said he tested a bunch of them and put me on the best one, but clearly hasn't made a difference.

Also lost about 6Meg of attainable, but I know that can be unreliable from the stats anyway

anything