Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: HH5a and HH5b firmware/general reliability comparison  (Read 20340 times)

Jon555

Re: HH5a and HH5b firmware/general reliability comparison
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2015, 11:15:21 PM »

Actually I haven't mentioned this here, so I'll add it. One thing I really don't like about the 5a is the bandwidth between the WiFi and the Ethernet. Ethernet-Ethernet via the switch does seem good, although it shows up in the hub in an odd way which I think reflects the mix of on and off-chip Ports. It's possible there are some restrictions on or limitations with what you plug in where of 100 and 1G connections (or it may just be the way the user interface reports stuff).

When I moved my NAS onto a HH5a Ethernet port my read and write speeds via WiFi basically went to a third to a quarter of what I had previously. That's with a 975Mbps WiFi connection and full-duplex 1G Ethernet to the NAS. Writing to it at 12MBps isn't impressing me. However reads are twice that so it isn't a 100Mbps limit (reads via Ethernet were 70+MBps and still are via an Ethernet connected computer). It might just be a lack of buffering.

However £49 for a 802.11ac router with built-in modem and a gig ethernet switch is quite a deal. Enough that I'm willing to give it a good trial, especially as the HH3 wasn't too bad. I also like that it does Port Forwarding by host name rather than IP address and you can trivially attach names to IPs yourself. My next choice would have been the Draytek 2860ac as I had good experiences with them in the past (then recommended them to some colleagues who didn't, as they were reminding me at the Pub yesterday, such is life).

Someone at Draytek suggested the throughput on 11ac was a long way below the connection speed, but I'm pretty sure it's not the main cause. (I stopped designing this sort of stuff a while back so don't really know.) He suggested as low as a third, which for my 975Mbps would give 40MBps. That would still be a nice bump over my current write speed to the NAS. If the 5b is significantly faster it'll probably be done and dusted. Alas I can't find much on the Ethernet architecture inside the Broadcom chip.

Jon555

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2015, 11:48:59 AM »

I just had a thought - presumably as I now have a HH3, HG612, HH5a and HH5b I could just send the HH3 back to be recycled and so test at my leisure? I wonder if they care, it's not that I would be selling or giving away the 5a, I'd keep it in case I had 5b problems (or v.v.)?

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2015, 12:42:13 PM »

I just had a thought - presumably as I now have a HH3,

haha - worth a try  ;D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »

I'll take the HH3 off your hands ;)

Jon555

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 03:41:22 PM »

Here's what I said on the BT forum about my progress...

(Someone had reported the Ethernet switch inside the 5b was a BCM53124  (BCM53124SKMMLG).)
Thanks, that's good to know. Having all the Ethernet ports in one chip rather than some onboard and some off could help. Do you have anything more on the 5b internals?

I've just changed from HH5a+modem, which seemed okay other than one 0:32 reboot due to the modem which I suspect was a firmware upgrade, to the HH5b.

What do I have so far...

My 5GHz 802.11ac connection (from the next room) is consistently slower at 877Mbps vs 975Mbps. I suspect this is due to the use of particularly good 5GHz WiFi drivers in the 5a - I don't know what is in the 5b but I'm guessing a little more ordinary ones. I don't think I care.

The user interface of the 5b is noticeably slower than the 5a.

The NAS connection via WiFi then Ethernet is the same 12MBps up but I'm down to 16.5MB/s down (it was 22.5 with the 5a). This is extremely disappointing.

It arrived with Firmware v0.07.03.0814-BT (Type B), while BT say the latest is V0.07.01.0235-BT (Type B), which I assume is a failure to update their information.

Rather curiously, now I have that firmware version to search with, people are complaining about disconnects with it. Ho hum...

So currently I'll leave it for a few days to settle down and if it doesn't improve or has a lot of WAN drops I'll go back to the 5a+modem. It is early days though. Wish me luck...

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 03:56:38 PM »

Have you tried the HH5A and HH5B without a modem?

Jon555

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 04:20:33 PM »

I ran the HH5a without a modem for some time. After the ".204." firmware update it got in mid-July it dropped the WAN an average of about once a day and DLM throttled my connection speed back. Hence my experimenting. I'll probably blow some different firmware into the HG612 modem (if the HH5b doesn't improve) and end up using that and the 5a.

I'm running the 5b without a modem as I assumed its G.Inp support would fix the WAN dropouts, but the internet does seem to have a lot of people complaining about drop-outs with the firmware version I have, so it may not go so well. If I'm going to use a modem it'll be with the 5a (based on results so far)...
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:44:42 PM by Jon555 »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 04:51:08 PM »

Have you tried the HH5B without the modem?

Jon555

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 04:53:30 PM »

From my previous post "I'm running the 5b without a modem"... :-)

So far the 5b without a modem seems less good than a 5a with a modem, hence if the current situation doesn't improve I'll either settle on a 5a plus a (possibly hacked) modem or a 3rd party hub. You don't get what you used to for £49... ;-)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 04:57:08 PM by Jon555 »

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 05:02:56 PM »

I'm not impressed that you added that line in an edit.

Perhaps the HH5B will work better with a modem also?

I don't understand what you're saying about LAN/WAN throughput. Surely if you can do a Speedtest showing 40Mbps down and 9Mbps up (for example), then that represents the actual LAN/WAN throughput?

Jon555

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »

Hang on... I thought of something I hadn't mentioned and so added it to my post rather than adding yet another post - as NO ONE ELSE had posted to the thread and you are unhappy ??!!?? It's not like I edited the existing part at all...

The bit you fail to understand is if you have Ethernet connected devices and WiFi connected devices the Hub has very poor bandwidth between them. Hence you can have a computer with a 1Gbps full duplex connection to the hub and another with a 975Mbps WiFi connection and the write speed from the WiFi one to the LAN one is only 100Mbps.

Having a modem or not will make no difference. It's too early for me to comment on the HH5b's WAN connection. I can say the HH5a's WAN connection with the ".204." firmware, to a Huawei cabinet, is appalling...

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »

The bit you fail to understand is if you have Ethernet connected devices and WiFi connected devices the Hub has very poor bandwidth between them.
Mine doesn't.

Jon555

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2015, 08:36:18 PM »

So what do you get for WiFi to Ethernet writes? Plus with what devices? I can only report what I see...
(Edit) Plus which HH5 do you have? :-)

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 12:34:26 AM »

My wireless card is connected to the HH5A at 450 Mbps so unsurprisingly I get around 250 Mbps up and 250 Mbps down.

Jon555

« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 08:29:17 AM »

When talking to what?
Thanks
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4