Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Airport shopping  (Read 1094 times)

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Airport shopping
« on: October 23, 2015, 06:29:59 PM »

There was a story in the news a few weeks ago, that when airports retailers demand to see your boarding pass iat the til, it is just a VAT scam from which they make a few bucks.   Apparently it's not mandatory at all to show them your boarding pass.   ???

The fact it is a VAT scam doesn't really bother me, but I detest having to fish around for it in among the travel documents.   So a few weeks ago I put it to the test, having forgotten to pack a Euro adapter, and resorted to buying one at Dixons.

Shop assistant:   May I see your boarding pass?
Me: No.
Shop assistant:  OK.

:graduate:

AArdvark

• Kitizen
Re: Airport shopping
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2015, 08:10:28 PM »

Well Done :thumbs:

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »

Last time we went through an airport (Gatwick) and bought anything (trivia at Boots - food for the cheap flight mainly) they didn't even ask.

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2015, 09:56:43 PM »

Last time we went through an airport (Gatwick) and bought anything (trivia at Boots - food for the cheap flight mainly) they didn't even ask.

Not surprised at that since Boots were the ones who started the scam, probably keeping their heads down & trying to live down the "Pessina" days of tax avoidance/evasion. Not entirely sure Walgreens will be much better for Boots but they couldn't be worse.