Broadband Related > ADSL Issues

slow connections an drop outs

(1/3) > >>

chris87:
hey everyone

since karoo KC capped my internet roughly about a week ago my internet connection has got really unstable. Mainly at evenings although not really disconnecting but very slow at times, then it can just be fine very intermittent am not sure if it was the capping thats causing the problems but am very sure it all started since it was capped at 3meg

but the more confusing thing is , is that my SNR stats are fine and stable , and am actually now thinking of asking karoo to uncap my internet again because having slow connection commonly at evenings is very frushstrating but when un-capped i didnt notice it dropped out because it re-synced fast. Hope that made sense lol

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 2880 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 59.5 db 31.5 db
Noise Margin 9.8 db 19.0 db

also am using netgear router DG834GT which is good for holding down low SNR's
and i am on karoo 8meg broadband package 3 which that basically means am on a higher package (get more priority) at peak times

kitz:
Hi chris and welcome. :)

2880 is quite a good sync speed for a 59.5 dB line.

>> Mainly at evenings although not really disconnecting but very slow at times,

Is your router recording a lot of CRC/HEC errors in the stats? 
This is a common cause of slow speeds on long lines.   To simplify things a CRC error is when data packets have been lost and have to be re-requested.  It occurs when the dsl signal is weak and your router has to go "sorry didnt hear that.. can you send it again" - hence the slowness of data.

I dont see how capping the line will have affected this... by capping the line it just ensures that you dont in effect use the higher frequency bins which will be more prone to disconnects.
The only thing I can think of is that if you synced above say 3Mb and then your line dropped it would have re-negotiated a lower sync speed with sufficient margin to keep the line stable.
It could be that at 2880 once the evening comes, then your SNRM is dipping low enough to drop packets, but not low enough to cause a full disconnect.

You could perhaps try monitoring your routerstats during these periods to see if you SNRM has taken a bit of a dip and if the errors start increasing.  If so, then you could try a physical reconnect yourself to see if this helps. - It could well be that the cap of 3000 is just a fraction too high.

Of course all the usual stuff also applies to ensure that you have done everything you can to get the highest SNRM value.  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/lowSNR.htm

chris87:
hey

thanks for advice

rang karoo up again and they seem to be baffled by my problems they have sent a report to the engineers they think it could be a external problem but i have my cap lifted and my line seems to be much more reliable for some very strange reason lol

kitz:
>> but i have my cap lifted and my line seems to be much more reliable for some very strange reason lol

lol yes - does seem strange in theory.   Hope it stays that way for you :)

chris87:
i think i may of found the problem

the ringwire connected to my master filter and my line is very old could this make a difference?

what wire should i remove is it orange?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version