Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Extending master socket - Best way to terminate joint  (Read 6862 times)

neilius

• Reg Member
Re: Extending master socket - Best way to terminate joint
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »

@AlecR - the BT85B is the one you're looking for - empty PCB, designed for housing jelly-crimped joints. With the PCB in there you've got the anchor points for tying down cable for strain relief at the entry/exits. If you remove the PCB from a BT80 you also lose those tie points.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GENUINE-BT-Openreach-BT85B-Connection/dp/B0085O64X0

I always use a pair of small mole grips, pre-set so that the gap is the same as the height of the crimp when it's been crimped. The OCD bit of me likes this because even pressure is applied to the cap on the crimp, which doesn't happen with pliers that form a V shape, so only push down hard on one side. I'm sure it makes little to no difference in the real world though! ;)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2015, 05:23:59 PM »

A quick check of Vince's eBay shop (Mr Telephone Supplies) shows that he has crimping pliers available in the tools section of his shop.

Obviously if you are only ever going to fit a total of two crimps then a pair of normal pliers, carefully used, or mole grips, as neilius' suggestion, would be ideal.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2015, 05:27:05 PM »

Ha ha ..... I think neilius is an ex-BT trainer ??  ;)  ;D ;D

Of course, everything he states is true, although some previous makes of BT80/78 do have the tie-points as part of the plastic moulded body, so when the gubbins is removed you still have the anchor point.
Our crimping pliers are designed for equal pressure across the crimp too.

But, in the real world ......... I don't know many that would cable tie two internal cables meeting at a BT junction box, and on occasions tools do get lost, left behind, and believe me when I tell you there's many ways to close a crimp .... all successfully.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »

My situation is similar master socket moved from front door to hallway and my preference was to use the BT80A though you will need a punch down tool for the IDC part.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2015, 11:17:26 PM »

If memory serves me correctly, I believe my existing germination is either jelly crimps or standard crimps behind an old master socket. Not sure which type of cable I have though. When I sorted a friends internal wiring, we pulled in CW1308 I believe. I just want the best cable available throughout my property.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2015, 06:53:18 PM »

Can anyone advise why a number of BT connection boxes have earth connections? e.g. the BT85B  noted above. What are the earths intended for? They never seem to be used.   Maybe BS can advise?

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2015, 08:00:51 PM »

Donkeys years back, we needed a remote 'Earth' (ie: at the EU's premises) to make the phone work. The 'Earth' is now provided 'locally' (ie: from the Exchange).

To this day, we still have 'Earth Calling' business systems. Granted ..... they are like rocking-horse sh1t ...... but there are still a few. Also, some of the filters we fit require an 'Earth' .... and maybe that's why the terminal is still there ??

All said and done, I have to admit I have never, ever had cause to use this said terminal, and am just guessing this is what it is still there for ???  :)
Pages: 1 [2]