Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

Author Topic: FTTC woes  (Read 65153 times)

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Re: FTTC woes
« Reply #105 on: June 21, 2015, 12:14:58 PM »

Is the engineer likely to look at my graphs if he sees that they come from a "hacked" HG612?

From experience, some engineers will be keen to look some won't even realise you can hack the HG612.

The engineer I last had was great, he saw the MDWS graphs and said something looked wrong and off he went, however in the past I've had an OR engineer who didn't understand the graphs at all :-[

All depends on the engineer you get

That's exactly what I found when I had numerous engineer visits until my intermittent HR fault was finally found & permanently repaired.

Since I had FTTC installed back in 2011, I have noticed that attenuation gradually increases (with lower sync speeds) during summertime & decreases (with higher sync speeds) in winter.

It's currently on the increase (see attached).

It is usually at its highest in August & at its lowest in January/February.

Your fluctuating SNRM, Sync & Attainable rates, Errored Seconds & other error counts over a long period would be the ones to show the engineer (if he/she is interested).

I'm not sure that your intermittent logging will have captured all the relevant details, but there should be sufficient to get a 'feel' for how your connection performs.

I did notice previously that you had one or 2 large/spurious spikes in your graphs due to intermittent logging that masked the underlying issue to an extent.
If you wished to upload a copy of your modem_stats.log again I could manually edit those spikes out for you.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #106 on: June 21, 2015, 01:10:12 PM »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #107 on: June 21, 2015, 01:15:18 PM »

I'm getting conflicting views here.

Is my line faulty or not? :)

On the evidence available I would say that your line is probably is faulty but not definitely faulty.  The SNRM variations look to be noise and not varying attenuation.  If the engineer makes a full line test including AC balance and a TDR check he ought to see any actual faults. As I said before assuming it is a noise problem it could be due to poor AC balance or just the bad luck of a noisy environment.  If the AC balance is measured and shows a fault condition the engineer will do something.  If it is just poor and not bad enough to qualify as fault only some engineers will respond.  The same with the TDR results.

lf2k

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2015, 10:29:53 PM »

Is the engineer likely to look at my graphs if he sees that they come from a "hacked" HG612?

I doubt he/she will care. But, being honest, just make sure you've got graphs to back up your claim (of a noisy line/poor SNRM) to hand. My general experience is that they're all good guys, just all in a rush (so make it easy for them).

The SNRM is probably the most useful, since it shows something an engineer might be familiar with.

Just remember it took Bald Eagle a while to get his line sorted; just stick with it... 😉

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2015, 10:38:08 PM »

New modem_stats.log: http://www.filedropper.com/modemstats

FWIW, I have attached ongoing montages for the last 2, 4 & 18 days for your connection.

Could you possibly post Plink logs from before & after you lost any valid US SNRM data for the U2 band?
i.e. before 21:40 20th June & after.

There is no evidence in modem_stats.log that the connection resynced at that time.
Could you also post a copy of your RESYNC.LOG for reference?

« Last Edit: June 21, 2015, 10:48:12 PM by Bald_Eagle1 »

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2015, 10:45:36 PM »

Just remember it took Bald Eagle a while to get his line sorted; just stick with it... 😉

That 'while' was almost 11 months !!! :'(

They do say that "patience is a virtue"  :angel:

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2015, 07:37:21 AM »

So I don't know what's happened but my SNRM is now negative...

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2015, 07:43:09 AM »

Temporarily it looks like I had quite a number of available tones.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2015, 07:43:29 AM »

SNR graph...

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2015, 08:33:51 AM »

Did you initiate this morning's resync?

We had a power cut in the early hours this morning & my attainable rate had shot up by around 7 Mbps when the connection modem resynced.

SNRM was low by the time I got up though, no doubt due to 'other' connections gradually resyncing, so I manually resynced the connection & normal SNRM/attainable rates etc. were restored.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2015, 08:35:04 AM »

No that was not my doing!

The SNRM instantly dropped upon the resync, it was at about 6dB just prior.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2015, 08:44:02 AM »

Possibly BTOR testing/messing with the connection then in readiness for today's visit?

Or (hopefully) further evidence of a line fault that might be easy to track down?

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2015, 01:06:14 PM »

Engineer is here.

AC balance was fine, all tests on his JDSU passed, so he's trying to build a REIN case.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2015, 01:33:05 PM »

Engineer unfortunately couldn't do a lot (he tried very hard to be fair to him) as all his tests came back clear so there was very little to go on.

He said just keep the graphs going for now.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #119 on: June 23, 2015, 10:08:53 PM »

The engineer did say he had re-made the connections in the cabinet and on the face of it, this appears to have reduce the SNRM drop overnight.

However, the Hlog still looks odd.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 22

anything