Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: BT results  (Read 2747 times)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
BT results
« on: May 07, 2015, 03:53:48 PM »

For those interested ............ a message from Gavin Patterson to all BT employees. The next post on from this, may be of more interest to forum members ??

BT publishes full year financial results to March 2015

It’s been a ground-breaking year for BT. We’ve made some key decisions and announced major investments to underpin the future growth of the business.
Our proposed £12.5 billion acquisition of EE*, the leading UK mobile operator, was overwhelmingly approved by our shareholders last week and we now await regulatory approval. When this goes ahead, this will be a transformational deal for BT. We will combine the best fixed network with the best mobile network, offering customers new, innovative and seamless services. In the meantime, we have pushed ahead with our own mobility plans, launching our great value BT Mobile consumer service, which has had more than 50,000 customer sign-ups since March, in addition to our successful business mobile propositions.

Our superfast broadband network now passes more than three-quarters of the UK and we’ve announced plans to upgrade to ultrafast broadband. This will be another multi-year investment by Openreach and is the right thing for both BT and the UK, providing even faster speeds in an already competitive market. We delivered our best ever performance for fibre connections in the fourth quarter with Openreach adding almost half a million premises to our network. Our retail business delivered a record-breaking 266,000 of these connections. My thanks to everyone who made this happen.

Our BT Sport TV channels are now in more than 5.2 million homes, with the customer base growing again in the quarter. We’re pleased to have secured FA Premier League football rights for a further three years, and an extension with Aviva Premiership Rugby for four more years. With exclusive live football from the UEFA Champions League and UEFA Europa League, we’ll be showing even more top sporting action from this summer.

For our business customers, we launched a number of innovative services this year including BT Assure Threat Defence, BT One Phone and BT Cloud Voice, offering customers more functionality and flexibility as well as the ability to identify and react to cyber security threats. And while we expect to face continuing declines in the revenue we earn from the UK public sector, we won new public sector contracts this year and our investments overseas continue to deliver, with good growth in Asia and the Middle East.

We also continued to improve the service we provide to our customers. This year we recruited 2,500 new engineers and more than 500 new advisors into our UK contact centres, with over 500 new apprentices across the group. Each of our customer-facing lines of business made improvements in service. We have significantly increased the speed of service delivery, repaired faults faster and fixed more customer issues first time. Once again, I thank everyone for their efforts. Our ambition and plans to achieve even higher levels of customer service remain a priority for us and we’ll talk more about this in the next edition of AudioByte due out tomorrow.

Our performance during the year is reflected in our full year dividend, which is up 14%. Profit before tax and free cash flow have both grown strongly, however our revenue performance was not as good as it could have been and in the year ahead we have to deliver sustainable, profitable revenue growth.
Overall I believe we have made great progress over the last year. Our results and the investments we are making position us well for the future. I ask that you continue to work at pace and as one team, so we can deliver on our plans and I thank you for your support and hard work.
We have an exciting year ahead.

Gavin.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2015, 04:02:18 PM by Black Sheep »

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
Re: BT results
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2015, 04:01:16 PM »

Further to Gavin's statement ........... this was the response from OR CEO, Joe Garner.

Folks,

Today we’ve published our annual results and I would like to share my perspective on how we are progressing in Building Britain’s Connected Future. We have achieved some great things this year which I feel we can be proud of and I’d like to thank you for the part you have played. There are also some areas where we didn’t meet our targets and I’d like to ask for your support for this year.

Using the cornerstones of our Openreach plan on a page, I’d like to review our performance; customers, people, stakeholders and shareholders. This year, we have also added an extra cornerstone called 'network', highlighting the need to take greater care of our existing network and build more to meet the emerging needs of our customers.

Our customers – 'Trusted to deliver'

In 2014/15, we delivered record growth in fibre, record growth in copper and record growth in Ethernet. This is fantastic. Thank you and well done.
Our customers’ needs are changing, and we need to adapt to meet them as well as keep up with the growing demand for our services. This year we achieved our target on RFT which helped us deliver an improvement in customer satisfaction. This winter, for the first time in Openreach history, we were able to keep provision lead times short even when the repair workstack went up. Our investment in FVR (up 16% year on year) has helped to stop the fault rate rising, and we’ve also reduced missed appointments. We have managed to reduce the number of complaints too but there’s still some work to do to achieve our ambitious goals, and this year we are targeting a 50% reduction in complaints.

As ever, there are some key areas we need to improve on. We are still finding it a real challenge to keep up with demand on both Ethernet and New Sites. We’re working hard to improve our throughput on Ethernet and we are making improvements every day. In terms of New Sites, we’re increasing our investment by over £50 million this year which means we will have doubled our investment over the last two years. The company is making the investment, and now it is in our hands to deliver.

Our people – 'Inspired, engaged and valued'

Safety is always a key priority and we did a great job this year, reducing our lost time incidents (down 14% year on year) and road traffic incidents (down 4.7% year on year). Please keep safety front of mind.
We also recruited nearly 2,500 people into our organisation over the past year - the largest recruitment since the 1970s – and we plan to recruit a further 800 this year which is great. This has enabled us to reduce the number of contractors in Service Delivery by nearly 50%. We reorganised our business around our customers, creating a simpler, clearer, more accountable organisation with end to end delivery units focused around the needs of our customers. I believe that we are starting to feel the benefits of this already. We are also investing in better ways of working for our desk based people, and creating Centres of Excellence as part of Working Together.
Although CARE is improving year over year, I am disappointed that our CARE engagement scores have not moved forward in the last few months. We are leading significant change – in order to meet customers’ changing needs – and I hope that it is clear that we are changing for the right reason, I’m confident that our investment in Centres of Excellence, cutting edge tools, vans, buildings and continuous development will help over the coming year.

Our network – 'Nationwide, reliable and fast'

Network is a new cornerstone in our plan on a page because we need to react to the recent competitive threats. We know we need to take greater care of our existing network, and build more to meet the emerging needs of our customers. We have a rich pipeline of innovation to deliver such as G.Fast where we have committed to bring speeds of >500mb to most of the UK by 2020.
Meanwhile, our fabulous fibre rollout continues and we have now passed more than 22 million premises, over three-quarters of the UK. We are almost two years ahead of the timeline we originally announced.

Our stakeholders – 'Welcomed in the community'

Our fibre rollout is making a real difference to Britain and we should be proud of our achievements so far. It’s an exciting time with the General Election taking place today, but our focus is on delivering our commitments.
As you may know, Ofcom has announced a wide ranging review of the market, which will raise the question of separation. BT Group greatly values the contribution that Openreach makes to the Group, and passionately believes that the current set up works best for consumers and the market.

Our shareholders – 'Competitive and investable'

We did face significant headwinds in the year, as regulatory price reductions reduced our income by approximately £180m. Without regulation, revenue would have been up around 3% in the year. However, we were able to offset much of the £180m decline through growth in our products – most notably Fibre and Ethernet. All year we have been experiencing the drag of Heavy Cable Recovery running down. While we were able to offset most of this, we were not able to get to our target at the profit (EBITDA) level. However, by focusing on efficiencies right across the business, we managed to stay flat year on year at the bottom line level. We did overspend our CAPEX budget significantly as we have been investing in the business. Net, it is a mixed picture on the financials. However, perhaps the most important and exciting element is that we believe that in 2015/16 we can get Openreach growing again. In particular, we are targeting revenue growth as we drive both NGA and Ethernet in particular. This would be the first time in Openreach history that we grow, and a very exciting prospect indeed. If we can get our revenues growing, and deliver our efficiencies, it will enable us to invest even more in the business. This is my ambition, and I very much hope one that you share.

Thank you for your contribution this past year, we have made significant progress in the way we are improving service for our customers in many areas of Openreach. With the right focus on Ethernet and New Sites I am confident this year will see us build on the momentum we have created and achieve even greater results as we continue to Build Britain’s Connected Future together.

Thank you
Joe

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2015, 09:03:19 PM »

Thank you for providing copies of both messages.  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2015, 09:07:53 PM »

:) :)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 09:52:36 PM »

We have a rich pipeline of innovation to deliver such as G.Fast where we have committed to bring speeds of >500mb to most of the UK by 2020.

From my perspective way back in 2003 we had 512Kbps download speeds and now in 2015 I have 30Mbps so that's 58X faster download, so that 2020 target with 500Mbps seems very possible it works out at 16X faster in 5 years.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2015, 09:41:31 PM »

Slowly, slowly trying to catch up here...

But, wow

We have a rich pipeline of innovation to deliver such as G.Fast where we have committed to bring speeds of >500mb to most of the UK by 2020.

I thought the previous statements were a little closer to "a few hundred Mbps" at first, leading to 500 Mbps over the course of a decade.

If Joe means this, and didn't misstate the existing plans a little, this is a fair old compression of those plans

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2015, 10:03:33 PM »

in this context "most" I suppose means 50.0000000000000000000000000001%

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2015, 10:54:51 PM »

Given that Openreach, and associated contractors, will be rather busy doing superfast BDUK stuff until 2018, possibly into 2019, even hitting 50% by 2020 - any part of 2020 - would be impressive.

Of course, a chunk of coverage could come from just putting new dslams in all the existing cabinets, but even that would take a serious amount of effort. Aren't they at 60k+ cabinets by now?

adslmax

• Kitizen
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 07:41:45 PM »

by the year 2020 before next general election could see 80/20 to become 500/250* (I dunno what will the upload are going to be?) but I think getting 500Meg is just up to headline not the speed.

lf2k

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2015, 01:56:47 PM »

by the year 2020 before next general election could see 80/20 to become 500/250* (I dunno what will the upload are going to be?) but I think getting 500Meg is just up to headline not the speed.

I read somewhere (on Huawei site I think) that they're talking about 50/50 and 90/10 configurations - so 250/250 or 450/50 (G.FAST is done using time division rather than frequency division - e.g. all of the frequencies are used for upload 10% of the time).

I don't think we'll ever get to the stage where we don't have "up to" speeds - even with FTTP - because of the way the service has to be contended.