Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Draytek Vigor 120 bricked, is there a fix?  (Read 2761 times)

markbarabus

Draytek Vigor 120 bricked, is there a fix?
« on: May 10, 2015, 02:30:02 PM »

I have 2 of these modems now which are dead. The second one just died last night and like the first i cant access the webgui, telnet or flash firmware via tftp.

I rely on the 120 for the PPPoE to PPPoA bridge which i use for connecting to an asus rt-n16 running tomato firmware, without it i simply cant use the asus router so i'm back to my boring bt hub 4 now  :'(.

I dont suppose anyone knows if theres a fix for bringing the 120's back to life? If not i guess i'll have to buy another one but i'm getting tired of them only last 12 months before i need another one.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Draytek Vigor 120 bricked, is there a fix?
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 04:25:53 PM »

I have 2 of these modems now which are dead. The second one just died last night and like the first i cant access the webgui, telnet or flash firmware via tftp.

Are you aware of anything that could be causing the deaths of the modems? Significant over-voltage spikes on the main supply?

I dont suppose anyone knows if theres a fix for bringing the 120's back to life?

I'm not aware of anything documented. Is there a Draytek users' forum or some such entity upon which you could ask for help?

If not i guess i'll have to buy another one but i'm getting tired of them only last 12 months before i need another one.

Hmm . . . That leads me back to my first question. I would be very suspicious of the environment in which the modems are operated.  :-\  Are you located in a rural country area, with the mains supply distributed overhead?

Putting it quite simply, if all Draytek Vigor 120 modems only lasted for a year I think it would be very well documented and the availability of the device would have been withdrawn.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

markbarabus

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 06:34:53 PM »

Oddly i do live in Wales, its rural ish with overhead power cables so thats a possibility but i've never had any issues with other devices. If this was the cause i'm sure my other devices would show symptons.

The 120 does have known issues with power supply, they changed the newer models from 500mah to 1000mah which supposedly fixed the issue. I dont know if it did or not but from what i've heard and read from other users they do tend to have similar issues. Look at the amazon reviews for instance (http://www.amazon.co.uk/review/R60GGMVNPXMAW/ref=cm_cr_dp_cmt?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0032Q120Q&channel=detail-glance&nodeID=340831031&store=computers#wasThisHelpful)

My 2 do still power up with lights etc but they are essentially bricks as i cant do anything with them. I can ping both, they respond for a second and then timeout so perhaps there is some hope.

PhilipD

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 06:53:41 PM »

Hi

I'd put money on capacitors failing.  The lifetime for capacitors is measured in thousands of hours, and there are good and bad examples.

If you can take one apart, look for signs of bad capacitors, although not all show obvious failures (search Google for "bad capacitors" and see images).  If you are good with a soldering iron you can fix them.

Regards

Phil

anything