Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Effects of a power cut on our line  (Read 2130 times)

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
Effects of a power cut on our line
« on: April 15, 2015, 08:14:00 AM »

Come into work this morning to find the estate had no power (went off at 6:40), my computer kept logging stats for around 32 minutes before shutting down at 07:12. I then powered it up for a few minutes at 07:44. Unfortunately I turned it off again about a minute before the power came back. The modem stayed powered up throughout as that's on a larger UPS round the main office.

Anyway the line stats show quite a difference, interleaved attainable went to 53,892Kbps briefly before leveling off at 47,688Kbps then dropping back to 41520 when the power came back 07:52. SNRM peaked at 13.2db dropping to 9.9db and returning to 6.4db when power came back.

FEC errors dropped from around 480,000 to nothing for the duration, apart from a couple of very small errors, so I guess that tells me that it is electrical noise interference that affects our line a lot.

Username on MDWS is Ronskiwork if any one want's to take a look.

Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Effects of a power cut on our line
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »

Thanks for sharing Ronski, quite interesting to see the effect on your downstream, but nothing at all re the upstream.

Would have also been interesting to have been able to see a QLN and Hlog during that period to compare with normal conditions.  Obviously if you'd done that you would have had to kept a very close eye on power coming back up to do yet another resync and wouldnt have time to mess around with the 30mins power down.    However - if DLM works as its meant to, then it should be classed as a wide area event anyhow if a significant amount of lines in your area all perform a resync at the same time. 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2015, 10:14:02 AM »

Unfortunately I've never got around to upgrading the firmware to a version with the GUI,  so I can't reboot it remotely.

I'm guessing the US never altered as perhaps the higher bands are simply not usable, and it's making full use of the bands it can.

kitzuser87430

• Reg Member
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2015, 11:50:45 AM »

There was a power cut effecting a large area of Pembrokeshire the other lunch time (only lasted 2 mins) and my adsl SNR margin jumped from 5.2 to 9.9 dB, it just shows how much crosstalk disturbs a line.

Ian

Bowdon

• Content Team
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2015, 01:14:50 PM »

I don't have the stats from when my town had a power cut.. but modem stayed connected, and as you guys have reported the SNR shot up, and I had no errors and extremely low FEC's on the line.

It kind of shows how much interference comes from the power lines underground. Even when the power came back on the SNR stayed high for a couple of hours after.. then slowly started to drop back to what it used to be, and a few error seconds returned and FEC's slowly returned to their normal volume.
BT Full Fibre 500 - Smart Hub 2

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2015, 06:55:03 PM »

Any idea for the short-lived, higher peaks in SNRM and attainable? Is that the real capability of the line in "only user" mode, before another modem recovered?

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:23:06 PM »

Unfortunately I've no idea why the big peak in the first couple of minutes