Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: VDSL INP and Interleave info explanation?  (Read 13252 times)

WWWombat

• Kitizen
Re: VDSL INP and Interleave info explanation?
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2015, 04:30:50 PM »

Ok.

I'm all updated and powered the modem back up after 45mins to an hour. New stats are as follows.

Max:   Upstream rate = 28386 Kbps, Downstream rate = 78204 Kbps
Bearer:   0, Upstream rate = 20000 Kbps, Downstream rate = 66999 Kbps
Bearer:   1, Upstream rate = 0 Kbps, Downstream rate = 0 Kbps

Downstream   Upstream
Line attenuation (dB):     17.2      0.0
Signal attenuation (dB):   Not monitored      
Connection speed (kbps):   66999      20000
SNR margin (dB):           9.3      11.3
Power (dBm):               13.5      7.4
Interleave depth:          16      8
INP:                       49.00      47.00
G.INP:                     Enabled   

My pings have reduced back down to 25ms which is the best it has been. It normally sat around 28ms to BBC.
I wonder if I will get any further speed increases hopefully back to where I started with all my issues in January where I was synching around 75Mb.
Considering my line profile went to 60.1Mb with the ECI modem two days ago, I'm impressed so far that I've gained 6Mb in two days.

OK - you definitely have G.INP running now - those INP values above 40 are a big giveaway.

Given the change you've seen, it suggests that the very recent slowdown was probably caused by your modem not being compatible with G.INP.

Aside: I know that BT engineers have been told that ECI modems, with old firmware, will not sync at all. However, we're seeing more cases like yours - with noticeable slowdowns and big increases in latency - that happen to both Huawei and ECI modems. We know the Huawei modems that end up like this seem to be on old firmware, but we can't tell about the (locked) ECI's. I wonder if this is new behaviour from BT, as yet unreported via engineers, so that modems at least keep some form of connection up.

Your status now suggests you are syncing at the top of one of the DLM bands (I guess 67Mbps), as you have some SNR margin to spare. That 3dB of SNR would normally be worth another 11Mbps or so - which ties in with the modem's own estimate of an attainable 78Mbps.

Zen's suggestion seems fair enough for now.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2015, 04:31:23 PM »

Question for you... is an interleave depth of one truly akin to fastpath or is it marginally more latent?

No different.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2015, 05:31:52 PM »

OK - you definitely have G.INP running now - those INP values above 40 are a big giveaway.

Given the change you've seen, it suggests that the very recent slowdown was probably caused by your modem not being compatible with G.INP.

Aside: I know that BT engineers have been told that ECI modems, with old firmware, will not sync at all. However, we're seeing more cases like yours - with noticeable slowdowns and big increases in latency - that happen to both Huawei and ECI modems. We know the Huawei modems that end up like this seem to be on old firmware, but we can't tell about the (locked) ECI's. I wonder if this is new behaviour from BT, as yet unreported via engineers, so that modems at least keep some form of connection up.

Your status now suggests you are syncing at the top of one of the DLM bands (I guess 67Mbps), as you have some SNR margin to spare. That 3dB of SNR would normally be worth another 11Mbps or so - which ties in with the modem's own estimate of an attainable 78Mbps.

Zen's suggestion seems fair enough for now.

Oh right. That is very interesting! I have two ECI modems and this HG612 modem. I may get rid of the ECI modems and purchase a second HG612. I just thought I would try it as my cab is Huawei (match cab and modem).
It seems to have had a positive increase rather rapidly so I'm hoping that it will bring me up to full speed soon. Although my pings have always remained this level since install. That must mean I had a slight interleave on. When was G.INP roll out started?
I've been trying to get my sync speed up since the initial error from the homeplug use back around the 10th of February. I was going to wait the 8 weeks before speaking to Zen again but now I'm seeing a good result for once.

You are correct in saying about the DLM syncing. Zen confirmed my sync rate was 67Mbps.

Out of interest, A friend of mine was trying to upgrade his 40/10 service from BT to the 80/20 service. As soon as it went live it couldn't hold sync and speed was all over the place from 50Mbps to 1Mbps. BT couldn't get to the bottom of it and just put him back on the 40/10 service. I wonder what modem he was using. I must find out.

Pages: 1 [2]

anything