Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20

Author Topic: G.INP enabled Stats Comparison  (Read 100006 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: G.INP enabled Stats Comparison
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2015, 12:28:46 PM »

Do you have a UTP modem cable?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »

Do you have a UTP modem cable?

I don't know - its 10 inches of screened twisted pair cable into the master socket so I guess so.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

Dray

• Kitizen
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »

STP rather than UTP then :)

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2015, 01:37:38 PM »

Okay I give up - what's the difference?

If S=Single and D=Double then the spare I have has 4 wires....
Tony
My Books!

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2015, 01:42:01 PM »

STP = shielded twisted pair, UTP = unshielded twisted pair. There's also FTP, which is foil shielded twisted pair.

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »

I'm using the 500 AV Wireless+ units

What units exactly are they please?

In the power socket by the router, I have a Devolo dLAN 500 AV duo+
In the power socket elsewhere, I have a Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+

I bought them as part of the Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit, which is this item at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00A67I5EK
Not cheap, though mine was £95. Worth noting that the ethernet sockets are 10/100 but not gigabit, in these models.

The router (Billion 8800NL) is plugged in via the pass-thru power, but nothing else is.

The Devolo's report speeds between them at 220Mbps (from router to remote) and 250Mbps.

However, when performing speedtests, I'm limited to around 56-60Mbps downstream, when a direct-wired laptop can get ~75Mbps.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2015, 01:51:44 PM »

STP = shielded twisted pair, UTP = unshielded twisted pair. There's also FTP, which is foil shielded twisted pair.

Ah! Thanks. I still find it difficult to believe that a homeplug just inserted into a ring mains 60 feet away from the modem would generate that sort of interference on even an unshielded flat 10 inch lead?

Mind you there may be another reason for it due to the way the electrics are wired in this older building. I may need to get someone in who knows what they are doing  to try alternative earthing arrangements I suspect. It was all redone 23 years ago when we moved in for safety reason but it was dial-up then.......
Tony
My Books!

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2015, 01:52:14 PM »

Thanks for posting your stuff @BaldEagle. Will try to go over it this afternoon, alongside annem's and jid's.

Any more text-stats & graph montages to add to the mix?

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2015, 01:52:34 PM »

What units exactly are they please?

Devolo dLAN 500 AV Wireless+ Starter Kit ....
Tony
My Books!

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2015, 01:54:19 PM »

Ah! Thanks. I still find it difficult to believe that a homeplug just inserted into a ring mains 60 feet away from the modem would generate that sort of interference on even an unshielded flat 10 inch lead?

It may be being transferred through the mains, and into the PSU of the modem, and on into the power circuits.

Have you got the modem PSU plugged into the pass-through? This is supposed to be filtered.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2015, 03:23:29 PM »

It may be being transferred through the mains, and into the PSU of the modem, and on into the power circuits.

Have you got the modem PSU plugged into the pass-through? This is supposed to be filtered.

Sorry, what is a 'pass-through' ????

Edit
Um... if you mean the plug-in socket on the Homeplug, don't think that idea would work too well, even if it had one (these don't my other ones do but are no better). If you look at the original posts, the modem/router is on a UPS (dedicated), plus all the other equipment in here mostly runs off two more 1500W UPS. The Homeplug has to go into an unfiltered socket directly to the ring mains or it isn't going to work I guess
« Last Edit: March 24, 2015, 03:50:28 PM by tbailey2 »
Tony
My Books!

WWWombat

• Kitizen
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2015, 04:02:00 PM »

Ah. That complicates things somewhat...

I agree that the homeplug ought to go onto an unfiltered connection to the ring main - and preferably without an extension lead.

However, I'd have thought your UPS would effectively filter the homeplug signal from the PSU anyway - and you wouldn't suffer from this problem.

But your UPS ought to make it easy to test whether the errors are mains-borne or RF; just have the modem run from UPS on battery while the homeplug remains in the mains. That way there would be no path from the ring main via the UPS to the modem.

Thinking further, though, perhaps you would need to run the test without even a network connection into the modem - just to be sure it isn't coming through the ethernet cable either.

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2015, 04:27:45 PM »

Ah. That complicates things somewhat...

I agree that the homeplug ought to go onto an unfiltered connection to the ring main - and preferably without an extension lead.

However, I'd have thought your UPS would effectively filter the homeplug signal from the PSU anyway - and you wouldn't suffer from this problem.

But your UPS ought to make it easy to test whether the errors are mains-borne or RF; just have the modem run from UPS on battery while the homeplug remains in the mains. That way there would be no path from the ring main via the UPS to the modem.

Thinking further, though, perhaps you would need to run the test without even a network connection into the modem - just to be sure it isn't coming through the ethernet cable either.

Thanks. Tried the UPS-with-no-mains idea but no improvement. The other idea will take MDWS off-air so will leave that until I have to take the server down for some other reason.
Tony
My Books!

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2015, 04:35:17 PM »

Removed. Ideas please?

Take them back and request a refund!  ::)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

vic0239

• Reg Member
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2015, 04:51:16 PM »

I used to use these devices, but found they induced interference on my vintage radios, particularly in the VHF band. Battery sets were not affected so I assumed it was mains borne. Switched them off and the interference was gone.  :)
Lothian Broadband 300/300 + AAISP VDSL, Vigor2865Vac, MikroTik rb260gsp, ZyXel NWA50AX WiFi AP.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 20