Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: New connection - high FEC  (Read 13358 times)

lloyd

• Reg Member
New connection - high FEC
« on: March 10, 2015, 08:42:45 PM »

FTTC enabled at the weekend, and I swapped HH5 for 8800NL last night, so I could see some states.   Somewhat surprised to see a huge increase in FEC from about 23:37 last night, and then a resync this morning around 5am.  How bad does a line need to be to get the FEC rate I'm seeing here?  And any idea of likely causes?  We were tucked up in bed by that time, heating was off, no other obvious sources of inteference.  Stats visible on MDWS - user pianist

Thanks

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: New connection - high FEC
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 09:45:00 PM »

Thats the worst SNRM swing I have seen yet  :o
and your DS sync had dropped by 6000 kbps it can't be the errored seconds as they only reached 735 so it must be the amount of SNRM change that has kicked in the DLM on your line.

Edit: i miss read errored seconds on MDWS it more like 1750

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:19:34 PM by NewtronStar »

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 10:27:50 PM »

Just had another huge increase in FEC and a resync.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:30:43 PM »

Just had another huge increase in FEC and a resync.

I watching your online stats as it happened  :(
but your DS SNRM has gone back to 6dB and the line sync has increased to near 30000 kbps  :)
after the resync.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 10:35:09 PM by NewtronStar »

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 10:34:40 PM »

But the resync increased the download speed?

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 10:43:44 PM »

But the resync increased the download speed?

I have feeling your line will not stabilize until the extra incoming noise is found and fixed on your circuit, you may go through the whole cycle again in the early hours.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 10:45:23 PM »

I think you are probably right.  At least with MDWS I can see what is going on.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 10:57:22 PM »

Sorry but it's looking like you need a Openreach Broadband Engineer to visit your premises though there is a 10 day wait after installation of FTTC before they can send one out and i think that's were customers get confused with this so called 10 day training period.

We need to know what the engineer did when he/she installed your FTTC last saturday.
and some info into current setup like homeplugs and so on.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 11:18:41 PM by NewtronStar »

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 08:32:37 AM »

We need to know what the engineer did when he/she installed your FTTC last saturday.
and some info into current setup like homeplugs and so on.

Infinity 1, so no BTOR engineer visit.  Installation was actually last Wednesday, but returning home line was completely dead.  Phone engineer on Saturday connected my pair in the street cabinet (had been left disconnected), and everything burst into life.

House is fed by overhead (is this always done with non-twisted pair cable?), and, until 8:00 this morning, I had a couple of 9020 homeplugs.  Now removed.  Traffic across these would have been very light, and inducing traffic caused no increase in errors that I could see by watching stats, but removed anyway.

The one confession I have to make is that the router (8800NL) is not connected to the master socket.  This is in the attic, and I have no cable route for CAT5 from there to where I need the data, which is the opposite corner of the house.  Obviously I have standard filters on all sockets.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:47:18 PM »

The one confession I have to make is that the router (8800NL) is not connected to the master socket.  This is in the attic, and I have no cable route for CAT5 from there to where I need the data, which is the opposite corner of the house.  Obviously I have standard filters on all sockets.

You are getting burst of interference thats effecting your line from somewhere, I take it the RJ11 cable from 8800NL is then connected to an extension socket (Data extension) ?

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 12:59:54 PM »

your first step is to use the master socket, no matter how much pain it will be.

If you try to report a fault, whilst using that socket the isp may not allow you to proceed until you test the master socket anyway.

lloyd

• Reg Member
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 01:14:44 PM »

your first step is to use the master socket, no matter how much pain it will be.

If you try to report a fault, whilst using that socket the isp may not allow you to proceed until you test the master socket anyway.

Fully understand that - just need to fathom out how. Any one tried MoCa, as I have coax between the two locations?  Or could I get BT to move my master socket (£???)?

You are getting burst of interference thats effecting your line from somewhere, I take it the RJ11 cable from 8800NL is then connected to an extension socket (Data extension) ?

Yes, extension socket. I can't think what locally could be causing interference that kicks in at that time of night. I'm in a small village, street cab about half mile away.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 05:35:42 PM »

If you look at your Hlog it showing up as wavy mybe Burakkucat could help as it's looking the master socket my have other extensions connected.

Bald_Eagle1

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 06:13:11 PM »

If you look at your Hlog it showing up as wavy mybe Burakkucat could help as it's looking the master socket my have other extensions connected.

It definitely exhibits symptoms of a bridged tap and/or star wiring.

Curing that issue should provide some improvement.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 06:23:40 PM »

I heard the call . . . and went to MDWS to see an absolutely appalling SNRM graph for pianist:(  Obviously the actual synchronisation speed graph reflects the bulk happening of the SNRM graph. I was also monitoring CRCs and FECs (in panes 3 & 4). The too showed events which "line up" with the distorted shape of the SNRM curve.  :-\

Swapping over to view the Hlog graph in place of the FECs, we can immediately see a circuit with infrastructure defects. I would certainly agree with N*Star's tentative analysis -- it does look as if there is at least one bridging tap present, if not two.

I think the time is ripe for pianist lloyd to give us a guided tour of the wiring from the point where the service feed enters the property. Photographs of each terminal (junction) box and socket found, both an exterior and an internal view (so we can see the wiring as currently connected), coupled with a descriptive sentence or two.

It is quite clear . . . there is one or more physical defects as to how the circuit is currently wired.

One final quick question, for now: Is there an alarm system wired into the circuit?
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5