Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Unexpected DLM hit.  (Read 11905 times)

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
Re: Unexpected DLM hit.
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2015, 02:54:06 PM »

Newt those are not necessarily people who have done anything deliberate, most likely its crosstalk reducing the SNRM but the line holds onto its sync. I had 6.4-6.5db when I first synced, now its 5.9db.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #31 on: January 16, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »

Newt those are not necessarily people who have done anything deliberate, most likely its crosstalk reducing the SNRM but the line holds onto its sync. I had 6.4-6.5db when I first synced, now its 5.9db.

Yes that could be it but why don't they turn off the FTTC modem for 30 minutes and let it pick up the new sync all I can think of they are trying to hold onto 2000-5000 kbps of DS which is not theres any more as crosstalk took it away.

If it was me i'd just manually force a resync on the modem and get lower errored seconds.

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #32 on: January 16, 2015, 08:30:36 PM »

because good lines will run fine at 5,4 or even 3db just fine.  I would only restart mine if I was unhappy with my ES.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: January 16, 2015, 09:22:53 PM »

because good lines will run fine at 5,4 or even 3db just fine.  I would only restart mine if I was unhappy with my ES.

Overclocker Die-Hards nothing wrong with that if your equipment can handle it unlike myself with a noisey line if my SNRM go's below 4.5dB it's an automatic re-sync for me, As long as you know your broadband line limitations then go for it  :)
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 09:25:51 PM by NewtronStar »

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2015, 11:02:50 AM »

I got whacked by DLM from nowhere last yesterday too:

Code: [Select]
Interleave depth:        907 657

INP: 3.00 4.00
PER: 1.70 4.68
delay: 8.00 8.00

Perhaps there should be a way for people affected by work at the PCP to get an instant DLM reset? I didn't see a single CRC all night and very few FECs.
Although I wasn't monitoring beforehand, I had a pretty flawless 9/10ms ping before the intervention. 26ms after!

I did do about 40 resynchs and a change of modem after though so who knows when it will recover now :P

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: March 24, 2015, 11:15:03 AM »

Its back again (Interleaving)  :( . Almost a repeat of last time as in the first post.  No increase in ES above about 200/day but two manual re-syncs  due to overnight-off and yet another tidy up, the tidy up was on two days running.  But the re-syncs had about one hour between on and off and two a day is hardly excessive.  It seems like my line goes interleaved for the slightest of reasons. Oh well- probably best to ignore it all.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2015, 12:16:47 PM »

Its back again (Interleaving)  :( . Almost a repeat of last time as in the first post.  No increase in ES above about 200/day but two manual re-syncs  due to overnight-off and yet another tidy up, the tidy up was on two days running.  But the re-syncs had about one hour between on and off and two a day is hardly excessive.  It seems like my line goes interleaved for the slightest of reasons. Oh well- probably best to ignore it all.

What modem?

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2015, 01:01:59 PM »

Thanks for the question it reminded me of a modem change.    I use an HG612 capped in speed to give a good SNRM of about 8+,  but for a short period of about 2 hours the day before yesterday I used an ECI to check its performance relative to the HG612 and to see if it would update its firmware - it did not update in that short period and I was not happy to leave on for longer and overnight.  The ECI is a possible cause as was giving a 3 Mbs higher attainable and matching sync on my line and without speed capping my well have had higher errors.  I did not bother with looking at stats from the ECI as I don't trust them anyway. Interestingly when my line had less cross-talk the HG612 had the higher attainable -- that now seems to be reversed with the ECI running fastest.   I had only discounted the ECI as it was only on line for an 1-2 hours and would have needed a very high error rate to damage the 24 hour average, maybe the ECI was however the cause??  Possibly because the ECI synced at 76Mb/s c.f. the 64Mb/s capped from about 73Mb/s attainable with the HG612. 

loonylion

• Reg Member
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2015, 01:43:37 PM »

modem updates happen overnight.
Pages: 1 2 [3]