Computer Software > Windows 7

Boot up fault?

(1/3) > >>

Shaft:
Needing to update my pc so I could play a new game I bought a new CPU. having inserted it my pc will not start at all, I hear the fan start, which I assume is the power fan then it stops, then it starts, then it stops.   This goes on for a few minutes but it won't boot up.   What have I done?   I took all the normal precautions.   Incidentley is the BIOS on the mthbd or the HD?
I had a Dual Core Intel and I fitted a Quad core.   Wins 7 Ultimate Sp 1

Shaft

broadstairs:
The BIOS in on the motherboard. Did you check beforehand that your motherboard and bios supported the new CPU?

Does you PC have a display on the m/b, if so what does it say - they usually have a 2 digit code which can be looked up online on the manufacturers site. Alternatively does the internal speaker beep? If it does count the beeps and again refer to manufacturers documents to find out what that number of beeps means. It could be that you have not seated the new CPU correctly.

Stuart

Ronski:
This is nothing to do with Windows although it may get upset later when it does boot though, I would also suggest what Broadstairs has stated.

You may find that the motherboard will support the new CPU, but only with a more recent BIOS. Perhaps post the motherboard make and model, along with the new CPU model.

guest:

--- Quote from: Ronski on February 26, 2015, 01:19:30 PM ---This is nothing to do with Windows although it may get upset later when it does boot though

--- End quote ---

Win7 doesn't need reactivation when you change the cpu - I changed the cpu (Core2Duo->Core2Quad) in eldest daughters machine years back & it didn't whinge. I can't remember how the point-scoring works with WGA but it does allow for some upgrading/repairs.

loonylion:

--- Quote from: rizla on February 26, 2015, 01:43:13 PM ---
--- Quote from: Ronski on February 26, 2015, 01:19:30 PM ---This is nothing to do with Windows although it may get upset later when it does boot though

--- End quote ---

Win7 doesn't need reactivation when you change the cpu - I changed the cpu (Core2Duo->Core2Quad) in eldest daughters machine years back & it didn't whinge. I can't remember how the point-scoring works with WGA but it does allow for some upgrading/repairs.

--- End quote ---

I've had a friend who's Windows frequently deactivated itself due to graphics driver updates, so it's not foolproof.

Assuming all the hardware is compatible, Windows shouldn't functionally care about going from dual to quad. Single to dual or quad would be a different matter, as it would need a different HAL.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version