Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My Kids wanted a swing  (Read 4764 times)

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
Re: My Kids wanted a swing
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2015, 05:20:54 PM »

how many of you happily use a lift, or cable car, ski lift etc?

Yes but they have safety cables / brakes not just one cable and two anchor points. :'(
That's the down side of being a scientist you tend to notice these things, The place I used to work did all-sorts of tests for the railway environment, one was testing that type of cable (but I was not involved with that. )
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:22:30 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

c6em

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2015, 05:33:28 PM »

All that ski chair lifts have is a bar going up to the clamp and said clamp is held onto the cable by a spring
see
http://www.controlbooth.com/threads/ski-lift-christmas-display.31945/
for a typical picture.
As the chair reaches the top this allows the chair to be disengaged from the cable to now go slowly round the skiers unload/re-load area on a secondary transport mechanism before being re-clamped to the cable which is going at a constant faster rate and up we go again.

Some (unlike this piccy in the above link) do at least have two springs so if one fails the clamp still holds - I hope.
This is why you are told do not ever swing on the chairs when riding them....

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2015, 11:25:53 PM »

Good grief...  that's a define no from me too. :o

Re the bangor zip wire, I saw the vid and thought, yeah I could do that... until I realised you were in superman position. 
At which point I had a rethink... because until then I thought you were upright like the previous (in comparison tame) zipwires Ive been on.   For some reason, that made a heck of a difference to me  :D
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Ronski

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2015, 11:48:03 PM »

That's the down side of being a scientist you tend to notice these things, The place I used to work did all-sorts of tests for the railway environment, one was testing that type of cable (but I was not involved with that. )

I've worked in a commercial vehicle workshop for the last 29 years, as a mechanic and now as a hands on workshop manager, so have a thorough mechanical understanding of things.  Did you know it's only a 2" round bit of metal and 8 bolts which couples a fully freighted trailer onto the towing vehicle, and those pins last for years.

You as a scientist should know just how safe these things are, a failure is more likely to be due to human error or lack of maintenance, so by using a zip wire or the swing my question is has it been maintained and designed properly?

As c6em says, where's the safety cable on a ski lift?

Talking of ski lifts, here's an interesting list, according that the last deaths due to a snapped cable was in 1972.

@Kitz, ever since I first saw Superman as a child I've wanted to fly like him, guess I finally will  :)
Formerly restrained by ECI and ali,  now surfing along at 1147/105  ;D

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 15, 2015, 12:09:31 AM »

@Kitz, ever since I first saw Superman as a child I've wanted to fly like him, guess I finally will

Yep, you will.   Have fun. :)

With me I think its more likely to at least the thought of having some control.   If I go forwards and I can hang on to something then Im ok...  but send me backwards then I dont like it much.  In my younger years I used to be a bit of a thrill junky for the rollercoasters & rides and did most of them, Alton Towers, Busch Gardens, Knotts Berry and of course the other usual Orlando/California ones.   I suppose living near to the Pleasure Beach I kind of grew up used to rides.   I dont fancy jumping off a ledge or flying through the air prone though as that seems alien.  :D 
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

captainkirk

« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2015, 09:58:04 AM »

That wouldn't be the pleasure beach at Yarmouth would it Kitz?  My grandfather apparently used to love going on the rollercoaster there (he was in his 80's) - my sister loves them too - I wonder what it is that makes me so scared, it must be something built in because my middle nephew is the same - his brothers love anything thrill wise and he is like me (poor lad)

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: February 15, 2015, 10:16:15 AM »

I hope Kitz doesn't mind me replying on her behalf, knowing she is rather tied-up at present with family matters ??

It isn't Yarmouth CK ..... but I'll give you a clue, it's probably touted as the most famous sea-side resort in the UK ?  ;)

captainkirk

« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2015, 11:43:59 AM »

Oh right Black Sheep - you mean Bognor Regis  ;D   No, seriously I'm with you, Kitz is 'up north' then - I have been to the pleasure beach there many, many years ago - they are scary places for me!  For anyone who knows Great Yarmouth - the snails near the pier are as adventurous as it gets for me.

Did anyone see Guy Martin in India last night when he poked his head out of the tall tower?  That was mighty high!
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 11:47:03 AM by captainkirk »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 04:51:33 PM »

I hope Kitz doesn't mind me replying on her behalf, knowing she is rather tied-up at present with family matters ??

Thanks BS.   Its actually my first 'day off' today for a few weeks.  With it being w/e other people are able to cover today.   

I intended catching up on a few chores on the house and some sleep..   but somehow I dont seem to have moved from the PC much...  the laundry basket is still full, the hover sat in the middle of the lounge for decoration and my cupboards are still bare :D    I did allow myself the luxury of a lie in, but considering I didnt get off the forum until very late, I still didnt manage to get 8hrs beauty sleep. :D

@ CK

Yep 'oop norf' is where I am.   As a teenager much time was spent wandering round the Pleasure Beach with mates so any new ride was a must do.   I think I must be less tolerant these days though -its an age thing - and Im in no rush to experience any new rides...  and certainly not jumping from vast heights.

>>  Did anyone see Guy Martin in India last night

Not me Im afraid :/

----
Oh well I'll get off here in a mo.....  and go push the hoover around  (ive been saying that for the past 3hrs)   ;D
-----
Pages: 1 [2]