Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: FTTC questions  (Read 27081 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: FTTC questions
« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2015, 09:55:19 AM »

I'm assuming the cab has fibre, but the other end of the fibre is blocked somewhere before the exchange, but its only a couple of miles.

My cab is only a couple of miles from the exchange, but OR had all sorts of trouble with blocked ducts, and on a couple of occasions they had to get the road closed completely while they dug up sections of it. In some places this could be fraught with difficulty.
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »

That is absolutely the biggest time-consumer of all ....... old collapsed pot ducts. Sometimes not even collapsed, they will have been smashed with some other utility service doing work, or one of their contractors. Obviously, the chances of the damage being reported so we can do an immediate duct-repair using our split-duct, is minimal.
As soon as our SSR guys come to try and 'Rod & Rope' that section, it's goodnight Vienna.

You won't need me to tell you that this will always be at a busy main road junction ...... it's hardly ever on a tiny cul-de-sac !! ;) ;D

jelv

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2015, 12:30:09 PM »

I hope your area doesn't extend to Motcombe, Dorset. It's a lovely village with a great community shop and all sorts of clubs and activities. When we were looking to buy in the area it's one place we looked at.

But...

Try putting SP7 9PF in to the availability checker - that's as good as it gets anywhere in the village.

They are on the Shaftesbury exchange which has had FTTC for some time and Motcombe were told they would be getting it. But apparently the ducts are in a dreadful state so they are still waiting. If it follows the direct road from Motcombe to Shaftesbury it is going to be an absolute nightmare to dig and repair.

I was talking to an OpenReach chap working on our cabinet the other day and he said that every time an OpenReach van parks in Motcombe they get descend on by multiple people asking for news.

My guess is that once they do get it, property prices will shoot up by many, many thousands of pounds.
Broadband and Line rental: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2, Mobile: Vodaphone
Router: Fritz!Box 7530

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2015, 07:17:44 AM »

I'm still unsure of the exact speed I'll get. I think 750m to the cabinet would be about right but my line has always above average for the lines around here so would that be a good sign?

Is there going to be new technology to get me closer to 100Mbps or is that impossible?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2015, 06:18:01 PM »

I'm still unsure of the exact speed I'll get. I think 750m to the cabinet would be about right but my line has always above average for the lines around here so would that be a good sign?

As I estimated in reply #20 (above), based on that sort of length of the metallic pathway, DS will be somewhere in the 24 - 30 Mbps region.

Is there going to be new technology to get me closer to 100Mbps or is that impossible?

There are existing technologies that are currently not deployed in the Openreach network. I'll name Vectoring and G.Fast . . .

Then there are technologies that have yet to be invented, so who knows?  ;)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2015, 05:41:24 PM »

Does the SNR drop on FTTC as much as it does on ADSL (for some people)?

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2015, 06:03:07 PM »

It really depends upon what is behind the cause of the daily swing in the SNR and how that "disrupter's" effect is coupled into the circuit.

Once you have a FTTC product deployed, you then have a metallic pathway from the exchange to the PCP, to the FTTC, through a low-pass filter, to the PCP and finally to your home. That is the telephony "side" of the circuit.

For the Internet access, it is a fibre-optic cable from the head-end to the DSLAM in the FTTC, whence it is converted to a VDSL2 signal which joins the metallic pathway your side of the (above mentioned) low-pass filter, travels to the PCP and finally to your home.

If the disturber, which causes the daily swing in the SNR, is coupled into your metallic pathway on the D-side then we would expect to see an identical effect once the FTTC product is deployed. However if the disturber is coupled into your metallic pathway on the E-side then once the FTTC product has been deployed, we would expect to see the effect on the SNR reduced -- if not absent.

Everything about xDSL is very much "try it and see", hence it is only provided as a "best effort" product. The underlying theory of xDSL circuits is very well known. In practice there are a multitude of reasons why an xDSL circuit does not behave as the theory predicts nor as the end-user wishes.  :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #52 on: May 08, 2015, 06:05:46 PM »

FTTC is now live on our cabinet!

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #53 on: May 08, 2015, 06:36:31 PM »

Utter shambles from BT. Wish the contract hadn't been given to them around here.
FTTC is going to be useless for most of the homes connected to my cabinet.

Best ring them up and tell them to decommission it, Alec.  ;)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #54 on: May 08, 2015, 11:02:36 PM »

Utter shambles from BT. Wish the contract hadn't been given to them around here.
FTTC is going to be useless for most of the homes connected to my cabinet.

Best ring them up and tell them to decommission it, Alec.  ;)

I didn't say it would be useless for my home though did I.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #55 on: May 09, 2015, 07:38:39 AM »

True. But is not your public duty to inform Openreach that they are unlikely to ever recoup their investment ?? Fall on your sword, if you like ??  :) :)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2015, 06:28:54 PM »

TalkTalk have now informed me that it is a self-install and unless I want to pay £65, there will be no other option.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2015, 10:34:52 PM »

TalkTalk have now informed me that it is a self-install . . .

I would expect that a self-install should not be a problem for you, Alec:)

GigabitEthernet

• Kitizen
« Reply #58 on: May 16, 2015, 04:14:37 PM »

TalkTalk have now informed me that it is a self-install . . .

I would expect that a self-install should not be a problem for you, Alec:)

I need the master socket moved though :(

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #59 on: May 16, 2015, 04:31:22 PM »

Install an SSFP and wire up a modem extension from the A/B terminals to where you want to install the modem. Use CW1308 cable (or Cat5e if you don't mind its greater thickness).
  Eric
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

anything