Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Unlocked HG612 Plus New Router Have Arrived  (Read 2548 times)

jaggythistle

Unlocked HG612 Plus New Router Have Arrived
« on: December 17, 2015, 07:06:38 PM »

Ok, sorry if this has all been asked before, but having a separate modem and router is new ground so bear with me . Unlocked HG612 and new Asus router have both now arrived. Job for Sat to set them both up. Just a few things I want to check in advance if I may:

1 - the HG612 has Hwolf's webgui fw on it and I'd just like to check access and do a reset back to the default config before I connect to vdsl. So do I set static IP on laptop Ethernet connection to something like 192.168.1.100, disable av/firewall and then access 192.168.1.1 to get to the HG config? Is there a reset option in there?  If the prev owner changed the IP is there a way I can find out what it is?

2 - Once done, is it a case of power down HG, connect to vdsl and router, power up HG, power up router, access router config and that's it?

Bit I'm not sure about is will the router change its IP if it tries to pick 192.168.1.1? Or will I have to change this and if so what should I change it to? Sorry but I have no real understanding of subnet stuff yet beyond knowing what the usual private IP range and subnet mask numbers are, and how reserve some local IP address for specific devices.

Any advice much appreciated.

I'm on the phone atm, so having to "fly-by-tapatalk"

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Unlocked HG612 Plus New Router Have Arrived
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2015, 07:28:59 PM »

To reset the HG612 to its default configuration, power it up, then press the reset button and hold for several seconds until it reboots.

The way to connect it up is shown here: http://www.kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm#hg612_linestats
  Eric

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2015, 08:07:44 PM »

Bit I'm not sure about is will the router change its IP if it tries to pick 192.168.1.1? Or will I have

If the router gateway is set to the same IP address as the HG612 it seems the router will take priorty of this address you need to have the HG612 and Router gateway set as individual IP address's for example Router 192.168.1.254 and HG612 modem 192.168.1.1.

jaggythistle

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2015, 09:30:48 AM »

Thanks for the help folks.

Suspect explaining "why replacing one box with two boxes is better" to my wife is going to be more difficult!  Along with why does it need so many cables, I don't see why everything can't just be wireless.

WesBez7

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2015, 09:40:39 AM »

Thanks for the help folks.

Suspect explaining "why replacing one box with two boxes is better" to my wife is going to be more difficult!  Along with why does it need so many cables, I don't see why everything can't just be wireless.

I get this from my Mrs.

Slightly off topic, I've also got this setup with Asus Rt-a56u router and the 2.4ghz channel has dramatically sowed. It's dual band. Seems to be an issue with this channel in the router. So my question is do you have this issue?

jaggythistle

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2015, 10:55:33 AM »

@WesBez7 - don't know yet but I hope not!  Decided to spend a bit more and went for the ac68u so we'll see.  Might try the Merlin fw fork from snbforum as it seems to have radio power tweaks.  Plan is to set this up tomorrow, so will let you know.

I'm on the phone atm, so having to "fly-by-tapatalk"