Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Xmas tree next to FTTC DSLAM  (Read 3852 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Xmas tree next to FTTC DSLAM
« on: December 07, 2014, 06:47:22 PM »

When I saw this years town centre tree appear about 3m from my FTTC cab I had my concerns.  It has pretty flashing lights   :'( and is the suspected cause of sudden large increase in upstream errors on my line -- error plot.  The errors start and stop at the on and off time of the tree lights.  I can't see any dud street lights but I guess they could also be a cause. 

If it does not get worse I expect to get by without DLM action but speed capping on the upstream can't help more than it is already doing. Right from when my upstream attainable was very very high at 34 the upstream always synced at 6db. The upstream power adjusts to ensure this.  If I speed cap down to 16Mb/s I get the maximum snrm and that is where I am now.  If I cap even a little below 16 the snrm goes back to 6db rather than getting bigger. 

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Xmas tree next to FTTC DSLAM
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 11:04:10 PM »

It's that time of year again  :)

Most of us BB stats watchers do worry about the impact of 5 sets of flashing lights on the Xmas tree which is just under a meter away from master socket, and have put my tree up to-day and don't notice any US SNRm changes or bad US ES's

I do find it hard to-believe your FTTC cabinet would be that sensitive to Xmas tree lights Les-70  :-\

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 07:40:38 AM »

It only hits the upstream and almost exactly only beween 4pm to 8am.  My understanding of things is that at the home the down stream signal is weak and easily subject to noise bit the upstream signal is strong.   At the CAB the opposite is true hence my thoughts that noise only on the upstream is most likely to be a noise source by the cab.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:45:59 AM »

Well it is not the tree, it was sabotaged/failed yesterday (-- Not by me!)  that made no difference and on repair it went back on in the day and had no impact. All other visible flashing lights between me and the CAB have also been ruled out as they are on when there are no unusual error rates.  It is something that is off in the day from 8:00 until 16:00.  Roughly the daylight hours. There are no flickering street lights either.  I just hope it does go away by mid January and is not something more permanent than Xmas.

For the moment I have reverted to switching off at night as that looks as tough it will keep the normalised daily average upstream rate below a level which may give interleaving.  I doubt whether it would be possible to get any action taken as an error level which only gives interleaving and nothing worse will not be considered as fault.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 11:17:41 AM »

Well it is not the tree, it was sabotaged/failed yesterday (-- Not by me!)

:D :D :D :D :D

Chrysalis

• Content Team
  • Addicted Kitizen
  • AAISP CF
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 12:40:26 PM »

I am getting tons of jiggling snrm, (can see on my graphs zig zagged) I think this is caused by central heating. my neighbour upstairs seems to have it on 24/7 currently.  Thankfully its not really causing me any issues aside from a bit lower attainable.

boost

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 03:14:14 PM »

I came home yesterday to find a christmas tree sited DIRECTLY next to the modem.

I took a deep breath and said nothing.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 03:36:22 PM »

I took a deep breath and said nothing

A wise decision. ;D
  Eric

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 10:17:18 PM »

Well it is not the tree, it was sabotaged/failed yesterday (-- Not by me!)

:D :D :D :D :D

lol.. yep my thoughts too..  :lol:

I do hope that it sorts itself though les
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2014, 12:03:39 PM »

I have been reluctant to report it -- in case it tempts my luck --- but it went away a few days ago  :) .  There were two openreach vans in the area near the CAB for a couple of days running.  I wonder if the owner of the cause and any one close by door were having severe problems and eventually the cause was thus found. There is no telling and I am just keeping my fingers crossed.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 04:18:40 PM »

I hope so too  :fingers:
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything