Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Line Stats - QLN  (Read 14115 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: Line Stats - QLN
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2014, 08:56:18 PM »

Once you have the radio scanner use DSlstats and select tones/bitloading and point the cursor to the dips and right click mouse this should give you the frequency your interested in and then you input that into the scanner and listen and make a note of the signal strength.

and then use this link http://www.short-wave.info/ input the frequency and click now.

I have to say your bitloading at thoses two Radio frequencys are not impacting your line as much as it is for me but on the MDWS graph you need to zoom in a bit.

But even though with all the above it still does not explain those burst's of errors you had last night for 35 minutes.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 08:59:36 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2014, 12:23:38 AM »

Just as an aside whilst looking for something else.   I stumbled across the fact tthe 7000kHz to 7300kHz is a HAM band known to cause issues with VDSL.  So much so that theres a VDSL HAM band notch template for it

See TR-057 2.6.1

For future reference other known HAM bands which can cause RFI with DSL are;

1810kHz - 2000kHz
3500 kHz - 4000 kHz
7000 kHz - 7300kHz
10100kHz - 10150kHz
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2014, 01:56:51 AM »

See also := for the Amateur allocations available in UK

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static/archive/ra/publication/ra_info/ra365.htm

NS's problems seem to be multi kw BC stations , in or near amateur bands, in fact I've only heard of one case from an amateur; next door, in an overhead wires area ! 

In other places something like an RF3 should see it off, except when it is a 2 bit loss in one channel, when the RF3's loss may be greater overall.

Of course you do have to install it correctly - it isn't magic l 

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 08:02:16 AM »

Slightly off topic, I got another of those "spikes" last night around 10:30pm causing CRC, ES etc to shoot up. It lasted for 10 or so mins, but when it "cleared" you can see a noticeable jump in the S/N that then becomes really flat for a time. What could cause this?

My line has been capped for just under 2 weeks now. I was using the HH5 at the time and went away for the weekend. When I left my Down sync was around 27M but on my return was as it is now (22.4M). Just wondering if one of these spikes has caused DLM to cap me. Looking at my stats my average ES for the last few days have been around 50.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2014, 08:33:22 AM »

Quick reply as Im on my way out and not got time to look at all the graphs, but I should imagine its something like I see on my line from time to time.  -  A  burst of SHINE type noise, then afterwards an increase in SNRm that lasts for a few mins and my max attainable goes up by about 5Mb.

In my case I put it down to a crosstalk disturber that I picked up about 6 weeks ago, that straight off knocked 5Mb from my speeds.  I can tell whenever the disturber is resyncing his router because I get the few moments of snr increase and max attainable goes up to what it was 2 months ago. 

The spikes will be a source of SHINE thats not just local to you.  In my case the burst causes my line to display CRCs and ESecs..   but its sufficient most times to knock my disturber off line.   Hence when my crc burst stops, I have a few moments of respite from his noise..   until his router resyncs again.    You can see this sseveral times on my graphs over the past few weeks.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

ardsar

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2014, 10:01:53 PM »

QLN Graph has changed tonight.......the two main "carriers" are hardly visible compared with last week.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:54 PM »

The QLN is static it's a snapshot from the last re-sync of the modem and time of day it was taken on, have fallen foul into same situation with false hope, your last re-sync occured at 9:04 AM 10/12/2014.

So use the Tones/Bitloading graph it's realtime unlike the QLN  ;)

for example SNR per Tone

« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 11:15:48 PM by NewtronStar »
Pages: 1 [2]