Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Condemned VDSL cables  (Read 2133 times)

waltergmw

• Kitizen
Condemned VDSL cables
« on: November 20, 2014, 03:03:43 PM »

Gentlefolk,

Very sadly in Ewhurst we now have two DPs on different long cables where there are existing VDSL services operating adequately even if some do so rather slowly. All such services have had their BT Wholesale estimates reduced to a maximum of 1 Mbps from an original around 19 Mbps. However any lines without VDSL services no longer mention or estimate a VDSL service.

I guess that anybody ceasing a VDSL service would not be allowed to obtain a new one in the future ?

Does anybody know if obtaining a MAC would be prohibited too ?

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: Condemned VDSL cables
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »

I guess that anybody ceasing a VDSL service would not be allowed to obtain a new one in the future ?

Does anybody know if obtaining a MAC would be prohibited too ?

There shouldn't be any problem at all in obtaining a MAC.   The difficultly could be in using it.
If the system says No, then the gaining ISP, would have big problems trying to place an order to enter the MAC key against.

Depending upon who the losing ISP is, you could ask for a MAC, and attempt a migration.   If the gaining ISP says no, then you cancel the MAC.    Some ISPs such as Plusnet dont close down the old account until the MAC key has been used.   It could be a risky process though and there is a possibility that the line could lose vdsl. 

Depends how hard the gaining ISP wants to fight for the EU..  and also what the system says for the line.   If that was mine, I certainly wouldn't be risking a move to say TT/Sky, but I may consider somewhere like AAISP or Zen where they'd be more likely to fight for the line.  I'd also be ringing them up first to explain the circumstances, so that they can check what the system says for that particular line and the ISP knows what they could potentially be dealing with.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

waltergmw

• Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 12:43:30 PM »

Thanks very much Kitz,

You've confirmed my feelings upon this vexed subject.

It's interesting that these lines are mostly around the 2 km length, even though the DP is about 1.25 km from the FTTC; so we always have struggles.

Perhaps more amazing is another branch off the same route that has several 2 km properties at around 20 Mbps. As I've seen one joint opened with over-sized conductors we believe much of the cable must be similar.

Kind regards,
Walter

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 01:31:35 PM »

Long D sides are always going to be problematic.  I dont have any experience with FTTC long lines (youre definitely the master on that  :graduate:), as around here cab locations & lay of the land,  mean that most estates should be able to get some sort of viable service.   

However, I presume BT's ethos will be similar to that for adsl..  they will try their best and if you complain too much and the cant do any more without spending 'x' amount, then they judge that the service is inadequate and doesnt meet standards, then the line gets marked as unfit for dsl.  :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything