Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Very high upstream attenuation on 1.3 kilometer line?  (Read 12490 times)

Paul67

Re: Very high upstream attenuation on 1.3 kilometer line?
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2014, 09:25:54 PM »

Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. When I access my router it tells me I have much higher upstream attenuation than what the engineer told me what his reading were when he connected directly to the master socket, the very same master socket my router is plugged into. I have no other sockets. The new face plate was put on last week by a BTOR engineer, not a contractor.

Also kitz asked, "Is it possible that Paul67's cab is relatively close to the exchange, but hes a long way from it?"

I actually live 1.1 mile from the exchange and the cabinet is 1.3 kilometers away.   

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2014, 11:40:28 PM »

I actually live 1.1 mile from the exchange and the cabinet is 1.3 kilometers away.

:hmm:

1.1 miles from the exchange, 0.8073 miles from the cabinet

1.7702 km from the exchange, 1.3 km from the cabinet
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

Paul67

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2014, 12:16:57 AM »

Don't shoot the messenger. I didn't measure the distances, they are just figures I found while using various broadband checker websites that give an approximate distance, although the engineer confirmed I was (approximately) 1.3 kilometers from the cab.

BTW, does anyone know when the firmware update for the HG635 is out? It will be interesting to see if it gives me the same attenuation figures.

Paul67

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2014, 12:36:12 AM »

FWIW, these are the figures from my router taken just now:

Upstream line rate (kbit/s):2000
Downstream line rate (kbit/s):24434
Upstream noise safety coefficient (dB):9.4
Downstream noise safety coefficient (dB):6.2
Upstream interleave depth:0
Downstream interleave depth:0
Line standard:VDSL
Upstream line attenuation (dB):61.8
Downstream line attenuation (dB):25.8
Upstream output power (dBm):6.8
Downstream output power (dBm):8.6
Downstream interleave depth:none

And, apparently, the engineer read the attenuation at the master socket earlier today at 31 down and 23.9 up.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2014, 09:31:47 AM »

:hmm:

1.1 miles from the exchange, 0.8073 miles from the cabinet

1.7702 km from the exchange, 1.3 km from the cabinet

On that calculation the cabinet is 400m from the exchange, so may just scrape in as being classed as a short E-side when it comes to PSD and PCB profiles.

I know the distance seems odd, but its entirely possible.   Im also closer to the exchange than the cab.  There will be some houses on my estate that are practically next door to the exchange but actual line length will be >500m, perhaps even 600m.   40 years ago BT didnt have to think about such things as DSL when it came to laying phone lines. I suppose we're just lucky that theyre not EO lines, so no vdsl.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »

the engineers tester shows it to be much lower at the master socket (23.9db), thereby indicating a potential issue with the router, either by actually causing the attenuation or by it misreading the upstream attenuation - unless of course the actual tester was giving false reading?

The engineer will be able to check Loop Loss (Line attenuation) with his equipment, which should be more reliable than that provided by our routers. He will also be able to measure loop loss at a specific frequency (typically 300 kHz for downstream - cant recall off the top of my head which frequency they typically use for upstream).    Id say in the circumstances its more likely that the router is having a hissy and false reporting  :/

Im glad they seemed to have resolved whatever it was, and a pair swap did the trick :)
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

Paul67

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2014, 02:25:03 PM »

Thanks for explaining why the router is most likely throwing a hissy. The information on this site is fantastic. I even tried the old AM radio trick tuned into 612 kHz last night to look for possible interference near the router and the only thing nearby that made any noise was my cordless phone a few feet away (it made a pulsing noise), so I unplugged it but ultimately it made no difference - but at least now I have peace of mind that I have done as much as I can to ensure I have the best connection I can get under the circumstances.

Thanks again!
Pages: 1 [2]