Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11

Author Topic: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household  (Read 39984 times)

Dray

• Kitizen
Re: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household
« Reply #90 on: November 23, 2014, 10:36:44 AM »

I suppose the inverter could cause noise, but does the interference happen at night or when the sun's in?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #91 on: November 23, 2014, 10:42:40 AM »

It sounds quite possible. Solar panels produce DC, so there has to be some sort of inverter to convert it to 230V AC.
  Eric

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #92 on: November 23, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »

So far the last spike was about 16:15 by which time I'd guess it is not generating especially today when overcast and raining. The last spike yesterday was about 17:15 or so which was dark as well. Spikes today have been quite frequent but not quite as high as before and the ES levels per hour seem lower as well.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #93 on: November 24, 2014, 09:51:31 AM »

Well last night there was a spike again around 02:19 of 100 CRCs. This morning the spikes started again around 07:15.

So there is obviously some interference which is causing this but how to find it is the issue. Because of the nature of the spikes it is unlikely I will find anything searching with a radio. I also suspect it is unlikely TT will take much notice of any complaint and will more than likely just say go back to Fibre Medium, although that suffers similar spikes but of FECs not CRCs. I'd be more likely to get it sorted if my neighbours on the same cab were seening this but since none of them is IT savvy it is unlikely they know if they have these errors or not.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how to proceed?

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #94 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:40 AM »

The possible causes are many and in many locations so unless it is so severe as to cause a disconnect every time it hard to do much, or get much engagement other than to decide on the best speed cap and modem to use with the issue.  The evidence suggests that if you keep below 60*24 ES/24 hours all will be OK. A figure of 120*24/hours has been suggested but no one on mydslwebstats gets above 1000ES/day more than once in while as I guess that if you do, an odd bad day or so will get you interleaved.   Your current speed cap looks to be helping but, as Kitz commented, comparing with a HG612 would be interesting as the Hg612 might also help.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 10:47:51 AM by les-70 »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #95 on: November 24, 2014, 11:16:28 AM »

Unfortunately like you say, with SHINE is often very hard to find the culprit and it may not be in your own home.  Im getting the odd burst of a few thousand at a time, but because it also frequently knocks out a neighbouring line completely, then I think I can safely assume that its not in my own property and theres nothing much more I can do about it. 

Having looked on MDWS and if thats recording the Err Secs correctly then at your current level you should be fine and escape notice of the DLM.  The system is built to tollerate a certain amount of SHINE because it doesnt count the CRCs, so its only the Err Secs you need to be aware of.   SHINE can rack up lots of CRC errors in a second but the DLM will only perhaps see 1 or 2 Err Seconds per instance.*  As long as you stay below the daily quota (believed to be 2880 for 24hrs uptime) then you should be fine.

*Another reason why I dont believe the DLM would looks at FECs, why on earth would it count 1000s of FECs that could be racked up from what could be bouts of SHINE when it ignores the CRCs?
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #96 on: November 24, 2014, 12:55:51 PM »

I think I'll dig out the unlocked HG612 and put it in to see if it records similar data. I'll try to do that in the next few days.

My stats should be better now on MDWS as it is recording now properly. I'll have to reboot that W7 PC in the next couple of days for parts of my reorganisation but I'll make sure DSLStats starts and continues to upload OK.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #97 on: November 24, 2014, 02:29:08 PM »

I recommend that, for safety, you view 1440Es/day as the limit before interleaving occurs.  As I said no one at all on fast path on mydslwebstats is ever much over 1000ES/day and that make me very suspicious of 2880ES/day. Which is the limit would depend on what option the ISP has provisoned with. I won't believe 2880Es/day until I see a connection  running with values between 1440 and 2880 for two days running.  I say two days as I don't think the exact timing of the 24 hours is certain.   

I think only Ronski has recently transitioned fast/interleaved recently.  He went fast path and stayed there for a few days with a high ES but less than 1000ES/day then a  odd few hours took him to more than 1440 and also well over 2880 and he has been back interleaved every since.  Unfortunately his error burst exceeded all the limits so you can't learn from it.  I think he is also on a Xyxel so a test c.f. the HG612 on a line with suspected SHINE other than mine would be really interesting. 
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 02:40:08 PM by les-70 »

tbailey2

• Kitizen
« Reply #98 on: November 24, 2014, 03:43:34 PM »

As I said no one at all on fast path on mydslwebstats is ever much over 1000ES/day and that make me very suspicious of 2880ES/day.

Er... except me possibly, at least eight times over 1000 in the past 10 days max was 1292. I was on interleave for about 30 days and then suddenly went to fast path on 29th Oct and have been there ever since.
Tony
My Books!
Plusnet 80/20 - DSLstats - HG612/TG582n - ECI

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #99 on: November 24, 2014, 04:50:16 PM »

Yes I should have been more precise than "much over 1000".   BaldEagle1 has also almost got to 1200 on an odd day but as I said no one seems to be above 1440 and certainly not for two days running.  I only scan though things every couple of weeks so it also easy to miss odd events.

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #100 on: November 24, 2014, 09:19:48 PM »

I should keep quiet  -- most surprising -- some one about to be over 2880 for three days running  --see  http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?topic=14598.msg275006#msg275006

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #101 on: November 25, 2014, 12:19:31 AM »

Yes I should have been more precise than "much over 1000".   BaldEagle1 has also almost got to 1200 on an odd day but as I said no one seems to be above 1440 and certainly not for two days running.  I only scan though things every couple of weeks so it also easy to miss odd events.

1440 = MTBE of 60
2880 = MTBE of 30

The MTBE for adsl = 5

In April 2011 the MTBE supposedly changed from 60/600 and there's possibly been yet another more recent change some time this year.

20311 GEA-FTTC: DLM policy threshold changes for mean time between errors (MTBE).

--
Edit MTBE typo
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:49:55 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #102 on: November 25, 2014, 08:08:20 AM »

Well this morning I have installed the HG612 and my data from about 07:35 this morning (or a little later after I got the ZyXEL to connect  ;) ) should show the stats with this online. So far I am still seeing CRC bursts and the HG612 is sync'd at a higher rate as I have not restricted it like I did with the ZyXEL. I might do this later assuming the xdlscmd works on the HG612.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #103 on: November 25, 2014, 10:09:19 AM »

The xdslcmd works on the HG612 provied you have the lastest firmware with the 038 dsl driver (the device info page should show A2pv6C038m.d24j under firmware). I notice that you only seem to have lost about 1Mb/s sync relative to the Xyxel. 

On my line the Xyxel gave 3 x the ES rate as the Hg612  and a cap of about 8mb/s like the one you used gave an error reduction of /3 on the ES rate.  So on my line the test your doing would result in about the same error rate with the HG612 uncapped as the Xyxel capped.  I await your result with interest! My big issue with the Xyxel is that it did loose sync with some error burst whilst the Hg612 never did that.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:11:50 AM by les-70 »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #104 on: November 25, 2014, 10:26:26 AM »

I do have the f/w installed so I might try capping later today.

One puzzle with DSLStats is that the average ES is showing zeros for all values, the stats tab shows es/hour as 0 0, but the connection stats does show ES values for downstream. Is this a bug in the f/w or a problem with DSLStats?

Stuart
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 11