Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household  (Read 39989 times)

les-70

• Kitizen
Re: Now a little anticipation in the broadstairs household
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2014, 04:04:50 PM »

Very annoying for you today.  You could try the Zyxel capped just to see if it is better, from the last test it should be much the same as HG612 when capped the same.  Noise can also come and go, upsetting comparisons, and slowly or quickly drive you nuts.   :'(

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2014, 04:20:54 PM »

^ Agreed.

I think as you say its a shame TT dont do an 40/10.   If it was me, I'd probably just put the Zyxel on and leave it capped, but since the HG612 is on at the mo, I'd certainly leave it alone for today at least.

SHINE is a PITA and ultimately much harder than REIN to track its source because its so intermittent.   I gave up on my parents connection and since they moved ISP anyhow they dont even notice the DLM because they are getting better speeds than previous.    I decided its not worth the hassle and they seem happy enough now that they can at least stream properly.

Its up to broadstairs and how much he likes tinkering, but he will at one point have to decide whether he wants to keep the 80/20 capped at 65Mb.. or if he wants to go back to 40/2.  In the meantime I prescribe some time for broadstairs to enjoy the speed uplift and go take advantage of it :)

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2014, 04:24:05 PM »

I think for now I'll leave the HG612 in place maybe put the ZyXEL back tomorrow. If I do anything today it would be to lower the cap.

Just been round the kitchen with the radio scanner - zilch. The only other thing running right now is the TV in the conservatory but more than my life is worth to go scan that area right now as Mrs Broadstairs is watching a film!

Stuart

PS I like tinkering Kitz  ;)
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2014, 04:30:17 PM »

Lowering the downstream cap to 60 could be very wise re the DLM.  You could leave the upstream at any value you liked as it does not seem to need the cap.  You have not changed/swappped PSU's or cables have you?  Although days can be different todays just looks so different for you as to be odd.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2014, 05:58:21 PM »

In light of all the ES today about an hour ago I capped it at 55000kbps down and let up go to 19998kbps. There it will stay for now and we'll see what tomorrow brings.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #140 on: November 30, 2014, 07:44:40 AM »

Not good this morning   :( !! I am surprised as you seem to have had 1255 ES/day  and below 1440 ES/day. Maybe the exra was provided by a SES count,  With some of the CRC peaks you must have had SES.

I did comment that if BT do their own DLM you can more or less be sure it will see a lot more people interleaved - it reduces complaints about drops drop out and resyncs and most people just don't notice. A new DLM may or may not also be an issue.

If the limit still is 1440 and SES were not counted then it is also possible that the time frame is midday to midday or perhaps you had some missing samples during the day.  Midday to midday would put you over 1440 and include I think 4 resyncs.   I notice that Baldeagle is still OK at ~1100/day but maybe with no or few SES.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:46:47 AM by les-70 »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2014, 07:54:14 AM »

My ES/hr since I dropped the cap to 55000kbps has been less than 20 and since midnight has been less than 11. However this morning I find I am interleaved so whether that was the ES/hr of CRCs or the re-syncs I dont know. My CRCs are low as well now but my FECs have gone up significantly with peaks over 2000/min, that started around 4am which I guess would be when interleave was turned on. Just had one peak of 7200 FECs/min.

Stuart
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 07:56:59 AM by broadstairs »

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2014, 10:16:49 AM »

As I commented above it is a bit a puzzle -- do you have any idea how many SES you had yesterday?  I am also with TT and have no trouble with 4 resyncs a day.  I try to limit it to that but I am sure i gone to 5 with nothing happening.

edit If you leave it capped at 60 or below with either the Xyxel or the Hg612 it ought to recover fast path.  It is also worth seeing if you really notice any impact from interleaving in normal use.  If you don't you could just un cap and let the DLM do its job.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 10:28:54 AM by les-70 »

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2014, 10:44:20 AM »

SES is currently showing 94, I'm assuming this is since router was put back just over 24 hours ago. A previously saved snapshot of the text file showed 373 SES just prior to the HG612 being put back, so that was the HG635 running on its own, therefore the current value is indeed since the HG612 was put back on.

Stuart

les-70

• Kitizen
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2014, 11:21:10 AM »

I am not aware of any info how SES are counted other than that they probably are.  Your SES count is high, especially with the HG635,  even it was just added to the ES count that might have put you above 1440.  There may be a separate counter for SES but I would guess (only a guess) that a multiple of the SES count is added to ES count. On lines without SHINE type events SES are quiet rare. The multiple might be a value like 10 or more as a SES event is certainly much more note worthy than an ES which might just be one CRC. 

My condolences, I guess it is not much fun having what other might regard as interesting events. 

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »

There may be a separate counter for SES but I would guess (only a guess) that a multiple of the SES count is added to ES count.

There is a separate counter for SES & ES that are recorded for the DLM calculation,  but the MTBE only uses one parameter when calculating 'Errors'.  Based on that info, I too would speculate that a multiple of the SES count is added to the ES as it would seem the most logical way to do it.

Also if theyre only a slight bit out, dont forget it also uses uptime count.   Therefore if the day hasnt had a full 86400 seconds of uptime then it will take less errors on the MTBE calculation to trigger the DLM.   Broadstairs was swapping routers so there will have been at least some downtime and not a full 86400 seconds.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2014, 02:45:54 PM by kitz »
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2014, 11:38:35 AM »

PS @les

Did you notice that the DLM has gone straight to 1167 for the Interleaving depth.  Normally we'd see at least 2 steps before going in that hard.
This only appears to have started yesterday and as discussed here.
-----

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »

Well I'm not going to touch anything for now. My ES and CRC counts are now quite low compared to what I was getting although FECs are high. Any interrupts now will be out of my control. Hopefully it will be quiet enough in a while for it to get me off interleaving. I'll leave the cap at 55000kbps down which now sees about 47500kbps download speed, still faster than I was with 40/2 and loads faster than ADSL2+ at about 7500kbps.

Hope to see TT update my router F/W soon. Also while I'm waiting for all this I will update my laptop wi-fi card as it is only 2.4ghz  ;)

Stuart

Ixel

• Kitizen
« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2014, 12:09:09 PM »

Interleaving depth can vary depending on sync rate, the INP and delay (and possibly another value I've forgotten). I feel that observing the INP and delay have more meaning than the interleaving depth value, but I guess that's personal preference :P.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2014, 12:47:17 PM »

I agree :) 

... but Im just working from figures provided from MDWS which doesnt record delay... & why I work with whatever s available ie depth.   The highest level Ive seen is normally somewhere around the 1200 mark, theres several other steps another one around 600 but as you say they will vary depending upon sync speed.
-----
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11