Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Quick Q : does anything retard modem sync speed ?  (Read 8447 times)

mr_chris

• Kitizen
Re: Quick Q : does anything retard modem sync speed ?
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2008, 11:39:38 AM »

So to answer my question I'm hoping someone will confirm that a stuck BRAS profile does not affect my modem sync speed, and nor does any other metering or limiting device in the exchange. .... ie a modem is always free to sync and not restricted by something similar to a Bras profile.

To answer your question, yes you're correct. On BT's system, sync is by and large unrestricted (up to 8Mb obviously).

UNLESS.... you are placed on a restricted sync speed service (which I can't remember the name for), in which case I think they can restrict you to the same as the traditional fixed-rate connections i.e. 2Mb (2272kbps), 1Mb (1152kbps) and 512k (576kbps). If you are syncing at one of these exact speeds, you may well be on this special sync.

This doesn't generally happen very often though, and is only implemented generally after an extended period of problems, or as a later stage in troubleshooting.
Chris

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 12:53:42 PM »

Thanks Mr Chris  :)

setecio

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2008, 12:51:37 PM »

So if I live right beside my exchange and am only getting a modem sync speed of 512, I should do my bit in the house first by
)Remove faceplate to disconnect the extension wiring and plug in filter and modem.
)If still 512 sync, try a different filter and modem.
)If stil 512 sync check if house alarm is fitted to telephone and if so is it filtered.

Then I can rule out anything in the house and tell my ISP to fix it knowing that I won't get a bill as it is outside the house.

If I live several miles from the exchange and my syncs are roughly correct, I can't really ring up BT to ask them to try anything, all I can do is my best within the house.

If I live several miles from the exchange and my syncs are constantly in a different IP profile bracket to my actual download speed, I should wait 10 days in case it gets automatically uped, and if not ring my ISP and indicate a stuck Bras profile and ask them to get it reset.

Does the above cover the main uses of anlysing the modem sync speed ?

Thanks.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2008, 03:21:38 PM »

That's just about it.
  Eric

Ezzer

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2008, 12:47:42 AM »

Setecio, you've got it spot on there. And yes you can't phone BT direct to sort any further problems. If you have a problem with your voice telephony then you contact your Service provider. problem with your broadband, then it's your Internet service provider as you are customer of theirs, they then are a customer of BT wholesale
Pages: 1 [2]

anything