Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: We Have Our New Fibre Cabinet.  (Read 9384 times)

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: We Have Our New Fibre Cabinet.
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »

It saves it automatically for me. I don't know where (it doesn't seem to use cookies). As it's a Google map, perhaps it's saved via Google.
  Eric

tickmike

• Kitizen
  • Yes Another Penguin !. :)
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2014, 11:36:38 PM »

Well had another shock tonight when I went on the BT site and it said we could get up to 80Mb/20 :o  :clap: :thumbs:
--------------------------------------------------------
Yes! You can get superfast BT Infinity
FIBRE BROADBAND
You could get
72Mb-80Mb Estimated download speed range

---------------------------------------------------------
Like other people I have been checking on the road works site and nothing  :hmm:
I have read reports in other parts of the country fibre has been put in at the dead of night, about four weeks ago I did notice on some of the JBP lids had been disturbed as I could see the dirt around the lid had been moved so I did wonder.

With my isp 'Eclipse' doing away with there domestic fibre products only last month (technically I'm still on a business product since we sold our shop some time ago) and the cheapest one is just under £50 month  >:( I going to contact them being I have been with them along time to see if they will do any deals, or I will leave.
Who do you recommend ?.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 09:50:00 PM by tickmike »
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

Dwight

• Reg Member
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2014, 04:21:21 PM »

I would go domestic a lot cheaper, Plusnet and BT offering first 6 months free or something so may be look at them!

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2014, 04:50:32 PM »

I agree with the above. Any of the regular non-LLU ISPs should be able to offer FTTC, so make your choice based on price and service.
  Eric

sevenlayermuddle

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2014, 08:25:39 PM »

Well had another shock tonight when I went on the BT site and it said we could get up to 80Mb/20 :o  :clap: :thumbs:

That must have been quite a shock.   ;)

Similar happened to me, for ages I just wasn't in the roll out plans, then it was going to be 2015, then this year, then I in September saw a guy at the cabinet who told me it was available then and he was right!

You may want to think about  changing to a new ISP first, and then upgrading to FTTC.   That worked well for me, seamless migration from Demon to Zen with zero downtime then, a few weeks later, seamless migration from Zen ADSL to Zen FTTC.   If you do sign up for FTTC before switching, make sure you're not agreeing to a year's  minimum - some do.

I chose Zen because of their reputation for service as a comfort factor after Demon's unbelievably awful Indian call centres.   No regrets, but haven't really had reason to test them either.   Others may be as good and/or cheaper, but agree with general sentiments... reputation for service & support should a primary consideration in selecting ISP.

Your old ISP may well offer to extend email access for a monthly fee, Demon did, though I had no use for it.

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2014, 09:59:10 PM »

My isp Eclipse got around to answering my query and said I can order fibre  :), so I asked if I would get a loyalty discount after my loyalty for all these years. there answer.
Unfortunately we don't have any discounts on our fibre packages and we are not in the market place to be a budget provider.
No way am I paying £50 month >:D
Problem I am in contract on ADSL until Oct 2015, so it  looks like slow speed for some time. :'(
I have a set of 6 fixed IP's From  Eclipse  isp.BT ADSL2(G992.3) line>HG612 as a Modem, Bridge, WAN Not Bound to LAN1 or 2 + Also have FTTP (G.984) No One isp Fixed IP >Dual WAN pfSense (Hardware Firewall and routing).> Two WAN's, Ethernet LAN, DMZ LAN, Zyxel GS1100-24 Switch.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2014, 11:18:18 AM »

Ouch at £50pm :(
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 08:47:07 PM »

After having  a moan about there prices I was given the information in a email last week that there was going to be some new tariffs this week .
http://www.eclipse.net.uk/products/connect/broadband/      Need to add vat !.

Being I'm in a ADSL contract until next Oct 2015 so I cannot just get FTTC from say Zen, I was looking at this one  'Business Fibre Essential'  £27.50 plus vat = £33 month. it's 50GB at 40/10

The BT Wholesale checker says B= 80 H  62.9 Low and 20 H 17.7 upload   so a 40/10 would be ok for our needs and it will get me on a better connection than my ADSL 2 or maybe 3 Mbps on a good day.

I think I would be keeping my block of IP's and also get 1000miutes for free phone calls. (will check)

Any comments please.

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 08:54:30 PM »

Hmm . . . If they are bringing in a new tariff that is going to be to your financial disadvantage, it might be worthwhile asking to be released from that contract without penalty.  :-\
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 09:15:56 PM »

Hmm . . . If they are bringing in a new tariff that is going to be to your financial disadvantage, it might be worthwhile asking to be released from that contract without penalty.  :-\

if i remember correctly from the TalkTalk forums years ago when they increased the line rental during the contract there is only an open window of two weeks to be released from that contract without penalty  :(
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:20:43 PM by NewtronStar »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 09:31:13 PM »

£27.50 plus vat = £33 month. it's 50GB at 40/10

Seems a bit expensive to me for 40/10.   Not sure about 50GB either.   On adsl maybe, but since I got FTTC I seem to go through a heck of a lot more bandwidth because I just take the connection forgranted.  I dont do any hard core downloading, but streaming is my vice which really eats bandwidth.

Can you not get out of the contract?  Youve been with them for years on practically the same product, so they may let you go if you ask nicely.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 09:57:16 PM »

Can you not get out of the contract?  Youve been with them for years on practically the same product, so they may let you go if you ask nicely.

Yes Kitz if the user has been with them for years the contract should be up and then become whats called a monthly rolling contract unless the user changed to a different plan/tariff this would automatically put them into a new contract.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 10:13:05 PM »

Yep, they normally only put you on a new contract if you had a product change or got a freebie such as a new router.

PS just had a thought. 

Even if they decide to be nasty and stick to their guns.   It may be worthwhile to buy out your contract.   You can get Unlimited 80/20 for £19.99 pm with Plusnet, or 40/10 for £14.99 (free for 6 months).  So what you save compared to Eclipse could work out cheaper.   Dont forget, if you do move to FTTC with them, you will be tying yourself in to a much higher price for at least another year  :(

--------
Edited to Add

Ive just seen your post elsewhere November 2015.  Eke that is one heck of a long contract - especially since youve been with them so long and only on adsl (not adsl2+). :o
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 10:21:59 PM by kitz »
-----

tickmike

• Kitizen
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 11:22:31 PM »

It should read October  not November :-[
Last year I asked about getting a loyalty price from them and for two year contract I got about £10 off   ;D as we did not think we would ever get any type of 'Fibre' around here.

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 11:58:18 PM »

May still be worth while asking if they will let you leave without penalty.
-----
Pages: 1 [2] 3

anything