Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35

Author Topic: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)  (Read 296672 times)

thesmileyone

Re: ASUS DSL-AC68U (VDSL modem/router)
« Reply #495 on: October 26, 2016, 11:14:31 AM »

Finally wired!

So roughly half the speed of my old house :/

This asus router is terribad. If you run a speedtest 1 feet from it, you get 32mbps download.

If you run a speedtest 10 feet from it, in the same room, you lose 1 bar of signal and get 21mbps download.

The ex bt engineer was amazed, in a bad way, has never seen this before. He said it is either electrical disturbance (there is nothing though so doubtful) or the actual Asus.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #496 on: October 26, 2016, 12:11:03 PM »

Probably the Asus after their power limiting firmware upgrade. I tested my dsl-ac68u back to back with my netgear d7000 and the difference was quite large. In fact I could constantly get double the speed on the netgear when the distance increased.

Have you tried a wifi analyser app to see if you can change any channels to help?

thesmileyone

« Reply #497 on: October 27, 2016, 01:14:47 AM »

Nope. What I  do have is a Netgear WNR2200 which is about 6 years old to use instead, good idea?

Is there any way of flashing the old firmware without the EU restricted problems?

j0hn

• Kitizen
« Reply #498 on: October 27, 2016, 02:44:16 AM »

It's more likely you're on a very congested channel. The power level changes on the Wi-Fi are very small, not going to cause a huge drop in throughput from a few extra metres away.

The modem on the DSL-AC68U is useless, hopeless, rubbish. The Wi-Fi is absolutely fantastic, the range is faultless. I'm currently connected at 750Mbps on 5Ghz, a quick switch to 2.4Ghz connects at around 250Mbps. This is as far away in the property from the router I can be. The router being next to the master socket at front of property downstairs, I'm at the rear of the property upstairs. I connect at full speed anywhere downstairs. Throughput to my phone is 15MB/s (over 100Mbps), probably the max my handset allows.

The Wi-Fi components inside the DSL-AC68U are the same as in the RT-AC68U. Others recommended you swap the DSL for the RT for good reason, it performs great.
The ex bt engineer was amazed, in a bad way, has never seen this before. He said it is either electrical disturbance (there is nothing though so doubtful) or the actual Asus.
I would throw a guess that he's not been an engineer for a while, i.e pre mass use of consumer wireless. The vast majority of "my broadband is too slow" complaints are due to running tests in a wireless state. To instantly blame the router is naive as any decent 1 will perform poor if heavily congested.

If you're getting such bad Wi-Fi speeds then you really need to run something like "Wi-Fi Analyser" on android/ios, it's a completely free app. You need to find yourself the quietest free channel, and manually select that on the Asus. Channels 1, 6, or 11 are best on 2.4Ghz. Using say channel 4 because 1, 6 & 11 is busy and there's nothing in between, is slower than sharing 1 of those channels.

http://www.extremetech.com/computing/179344-how-to-boost-your-wifi-speed-by-choosing-the-right-channel
Talktalk FTTP 550/75 - Speedtest - BQM

thesmileyone

« Reply #499 on: October 27, 2016, 05:42:07 PM »

It appears that 2.4ghz is bad, 5ghz seems great?

I will do as you suggest later on. Will this app run on an iPad?

He said I think, BT engineer for 11 years, self employed for 6 years?

He was brilliant at what he did but he did say some of my questions (asked from replies here) went over his head. He also pointed out the distribution point for FTTC was less than 10m from the house.

thesmileyone

« Reply #500 on: November 02, 2016, 08:36:19 PM »

Finally wired!

The internet drops out daily, according to the router this happens at the WAN connection. I don't think it is an Asus issue I think it is a cabinet issue.

Currently

Losing speed daily :/

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #501 on: November 02, 2016, 08:56:55 PM »

Why not get hold of a bt modem (e.g hg612 3b)and gather some stats via a pc real time and then put the 68u in router only mode. Line stats would really help by the looks of it..

If the modem is resyncing it may be lowering your ds sync. And lowering speeds?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 09:07:06 PM by skyeci »

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #502 on: November 02, 2016, 09:51:11 PM »

That seems to be a common issue with the 68U. It shows as WAN disconnects and gives a resync. My speed kept dropping every day also. Switched to the HG612 and within a few days I was back up at full speed.

thesmileyone

« Reply #503 on: November 03, 2016, 05:14:26 PM »

I am using an ECI modem with the 68u in router only mode.

I can't log from the ECI modem as it is locked and I don't know how to unlock it, nor do I currently have anyway of doing so, no serial port etc on the PC which is 30m away from it.

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #504 on: November 03, 2016, 05:26:23 PM »

Unfortunately there is no easy way to log using the ECI or Asus unit. Better off ditching the ECI and getting a Huawei HG612. Easily flashed then use DSLStats to monitor. I'm currently using DSL Stats with my Netgear D7000. Perfect!

skyeci

• Kitizen
    • Line stats
« Reply #505 on: November 03, 2016, 06:05:24 PM »

I am using an ECI modem with the 68u in router only mode.

I can't log from the ECI modem as it is locked and I don't know how to unlock it, nor do I currently have anyway of doing so, no serial port etc on the PC which is 30m away from it.

You don't need a serial port, basically you have to get the case open, drill the board in 3 places to take some header pins, use a serial usb adapter, flash the modem with the image that was created by one of the members. I have done 3 or 4 and it does allow you get the stats from the modem from lan port2 - does not work with the current stats program but you can at least get some real time stats directly. If you want to upload your stats etc then you need another modem :)

Diskordian

• Just arrived
« Reply #506 on: November 10, 2016, 12:56:30 AM »

Hi guys, long time lurker but first time poster - please be gentle as I have been rogered by BT once today.

OK here's my dilemma, I am pretty sure the cab up the road from me is a Huawei cab.

Fiddled and fiddled with the DSL setting but not joy I'm afraid, now my homehub (steaming pile of sh**te) sync's at 55mg no problem.

I have tried many diff version of fw over the last month and am at my wits end for some reason the asus will only connection at 49mb.

I i run a server with dyn dns provided by asus which on the hole works quite well.  Until the last few days where my connection has been dropping more often than a cheap hooar.

I have read through the thread and at the moment considering the hammer treatment or another decent router that will run dyndns

I am all for scrapping the router as most see to agree is absolute pish (aside from wireless)

I have been looking at the nighthawk and also the billion 8800nl..

your thought please gents...

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #507 on: November 10, 2016, 07:16:56 AM »

The general opinion is that the DSL-A68U is a rotten modem but an excellent wireless router. The best solution technically is probably to get a separate modem operating in bridge mode, feeding the Asus for the wireless router functions.
  Eric

michty_me

• Reg Member
« Reply #508 on: November 10, 2016, 11:16:21 AM »

I had the same problem with it syncing a lot less. I ended up running with a HG 612 with the cracked firmware from here hooked up to the DSL-AC68U. I then swapped the two box method and went with the D7000. Better wireless speeds, Better modem, All in one solution. Seems to be a solid device.

Geekofbroadband

• Reg Member
« Reply #509 on: November 13, 2016, 02:52:04 AM »

New firmware 3.0.0.4.380_4026

Security improvement:
- Fixed page redirect/ CSRF/ XSS security related issues.
- Remote DHCP information disclosure.

DSL:
- DSL firmware updated: v1.0.3.7.
- G.INP (G.998.4) now enabled by default.
- ADSL WAN (ATM) QIS manual setting list updated,
Add Australia ISP, Dodo (PPPoE).
Add Australia ISP, Dodo (PPPoA).
Add United Kingdom ISP, Origin Broadband.
Add Iran ISP, Hiweb.
Add Iran ISP, Mci.
Add Iran ISP, Mokhaberat.
Add India ISP, Reliance (PPPoE).
Add India ISP, Reliance (MER).
Add South Africa ISP, Vanilla.
Add South Africa ISP, Imaginet.
Add South Africa ISP option, Other ISP.
Add Italy ISP, EOLO.
Add Italy ISP, TIM (PPPoE).
Modify Italy ISP, TIN -> TIM (PPPoA).
Add Iran ISP, Bistnet.
Add Iran ISP, TCT.
Add Iran ISP, Shahrad.
Add Iran ISP, TCI.
- VDSL WAN (PTM) QIS manual setting list updated,
Add Australia ISP, Skymesh (NBN).
Add Australia ISP, HabourISP (NBN).
Add Australia ISP, iiNet (Automatic IP)(NBN).
Add Australia ISP, iiNet (PPPoE)(VLAN ID 10).
Add Australia ISP, NBN (PPPoE).
Add Australia ISP, NBN (Automatic IP).
Add South Africa ISP, Afrihost (VLAN ID 835).
Add South Africa ISP, Afrihost (no VLAN ID).
Add South Africa ISP, Telkom Internet - do Elite (VLAN ID 835).
Add South Africa ISP, Telkom Internet - do Elite (no VLAN ID).
Add South Africa ISP, Axxess (VLAN ID 835).
Add South Africa ISP, Axxess (no VLAN ID).
Add Australia ISP, Telstra (Static IP).
Add Australia ISP, Telstra (Automatic IP).
Add Finland ISP, Partel.
Add India ISP, Dataone.
Add Finland ISP, DNA.
Add Italy ISP, TIM.

Bug fixes and Enhancements:
- Fixed Wi-Fi 5GHz LED issue in beta firmware v9.0.0.4.380_3879.
- Fixed WPS to restore security related defaults. 5GHz auto channel select issue after WPS reset.
- Fixed the Model Name and Model Description in UPnP information.
- Fixed the issue of configuring QIS by wireless client.
- Updated the Plus' APN data of Poland.
- Fixed the redirection rule for getting back to web UI after changing httpd protocol.
- Add ASUS Member registration URL link in QIS finish page.
- Removed some websites which Ping fail in Network Analysis.

Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35