Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: CRC and FEC error rates  (Read 9398 times)

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
Re: CRC and FEC error rates
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2014, 05:40:36 PM »

It may be worth posting the Bitloading Graph during the interference anomaly if the Technicolor TG582n supports this  :-\

When I look at your SNRM it has a gradual drop and a gradual rise, it if was electrical it would be a sudden drop and rise (On/Off) switch, so your gradual SNRM slope has radio interference written on it.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 05:49:03 PM by NewtronStar »

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2014, 06:31:30 PM »

Martin - I agree with Kitz that it looks like some form of RFI - streetlight(s) fit the time profile and would be fairly easy to yes/no check.

Also, having already taken precautions against front end pickup for other RFI,  it is possibly getting in via the power wiring not radiation.

However suggest it is time for a practical test with the MW radio - to confirm the source before looking at the path; logical speculation based on indirect measurements only takes you so far !   

MartinGoose

« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2014, 07:52:00 AM »

It may be worth posting the Bitloading Graph during the interference anomaly if the Technicolor TG582n supports this  :-\

Attached file shows bitloading during a period of high error rates.

I'd consider a drop of 6dB just a tad too much to be considered normal on a line that could previously sync at 12Mbps.. combined with the extremely high error rate... then my gut instincts tell me some sort of RFI is the most likely cause.

Plusnet have booked Openreach to visit again this morning. They have specifically asked for a REIN check. I have my MW radio at the ready!

PS Further bitloading graph attached.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 09:36:18 AM by MartinGoose »

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2014, 09:33:17 AM »

Good luck with BToR visit.

Couple of points to summarise for him

1) Line was previously stable at 12Mbps with a Target SNRM of 3dB.  - For the DLM to give a line a Target SNR Margin of 3dB then it would have previously considered the line very stable.
2) Each evening at around nightfall, the SNR Margin drops by 6dB and starts to rack up lots of errors.   This drop and errors only noticably occur during the hours of darkness.   This out of character when compared to previous performance. 
3) Line has now deteriorated so badly that the DLM has applied a Target SNRM of 15dB.
4) 15dB Target SNRM is the maximum that the DLM applies.  Although your line isnt short - its certainly not long (I cant recall your attenuation atm to give an estimate of what your line should be getting and your line length) and I wouldnt expect a med length line for the DLM to kick in so harshly unless there was either a line fault or REIN.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker
Pages: 1 [2]