Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: routerstats indicated synch speed  (Read 2813 times)

mand

routerstats indicated synch speed
« on: February 03, 2008, 08:03:39 PM »

I have just put routerstat on my pc and it shows synch speed of 1728kbps. Why does the modem icon in the tray show a connection speed (=synch speed ?) of 3800mbps?
My noise margin averages 14, so is my actual snr around 14+6=20db ?Is that good rather than poor?
Recently we have had alot of intereference on our telephone landline - does this affect snr and the margin for my broadband connection - and then result in poor speed for a few days at least?
Finally I may try the dtm tool but which version for netgear 834gv2 ?
Mand

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: routerstats indicated synch speed
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2008, 08:21:59 PM »

The best way to check your connection speed is to follow this advice. [There appears to be a problem with that link - it should take you to the DG834G section of the page, but if it takes you to the bottom of the page instead you can scroll up to the DG834g section.]

A high noise margin is good from the point of stability. What has probably happened is that your recent problems resulted in your target noise margin being raised to make the connection more stable. If the interference problems are now over and your connection is now stable, the automatic processes should lower your target noise margin in steps over a period of weeks, but exactly how this process works doesn't seem to be documented publicly.

I'm afraid that there isn't a version of the DMT tool which works with DG834Gv2. :(
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:31:41 PM by roseway »
  Eric

mand

Re: routerstats indicated synch speed
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2008, 08:45:16 PM »

Thanks for that. Dmt not dtm !
That's why I couldn't find much on it!
Thanks again
Mand

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen