Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: new to max adsl/basic questions  (Read 3051 times)

mand

new to max adsl/basic questions
« on: February 01, 2008, 11:37:00 PM »

Hello everyone
I've learnt loads through Kitz site and by just looking on this forum tonight.
I've just found out that my isp - Supanet - is providing me with max adsl which I didn't realize.
Can I ask a few questions based on my recent findings?
My synch speed was around 4.6mbps, ip profile around 2.5mbps and my actual throughput varied from 2.2mbps ish to 400kbps ish - from the bt speed tester- using a Netgear 834G v.2. My connection has been stable.
Recently my synch speed went down to 1.6mbps and actual throughput was about 300kbps most of the time.
I put this down to bad weather and contention as I pick up a few more wireless connections now.
After switching the router off and on I can get synch speed of 4.4mbps but around 0 noise margin - but the connection is unstable and does not work.
I have repeated this and get synch of 2.6mbps with noise margin of 16db (which is normal for me).
The bt speedtest now shows my ip profile as 750kbps with actual throughput as 466kbps.My line attenuation is about 45.

Can someone explain this to me ?
Will the ip profile improve with time back up to 2000+kbps or is this now set lower by btw or 'learning machines'?.
Is my noise margin of 16db good or bad or irrelevant?
Can I call bt myself to discuss such things or can my isp only do this - as I can't find a number to call on.
Last Q - my desk top often loses wireless connection but the laptop right next to the desktop can work fine but doesn't even have a sticky out antenna.Why is that?
Thanks in advance - hope I can understand what you guys have to say
mand

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
Re: new to max adsl/basic questions
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2008, 12:49:21 AM »

Hi mand and welcome

Could do with seeing a set of line stats immediately after a resync, as I suspect that something recently has caused a problem and your target SNR has been increased to 15db.  If your target SNR has increased it could be why you cant sync at the higher speed.

However, I wouldnt advise doing a reboot right now if you do have a stable connection at 2600.  Hopefully within a couple of days the IP profile will catch up and rise to 2000 which should at least give you a half decent speed.

>> Will the ip profile improve with time back up to 2000+kbps or is this now set lower by btw or 'learning machines'?.

It will adjust - it could take a day or so though.. or you may be lucky and it may be done sooner.

>> Is my noise margin of 16db good or bad or irrelevant?

Indicative that the DLM has set your target SNR to 15db

>> Can I call bt myself to discuss such things or can my isp only do this.

Theres no direct no for us users, and tbh theres little your ISP could do right now until things stabilise again.

SNR does vary through out the day and generally it is better in the earlier part of the day and worst in the evenings.  You could grab yourself a copy of routerstats and monitor your SNR.   If as suspected your target SNR has been increased then theres not much point trying to get a higher speed unless your SNR Margin is more than 16dB.

>> Last Q - my desk top often loses wireless connection but the laptop right next to the desktop can work fine but doesn't even have a sticky out antenna.Why is that?

Umm pass...  have you tried setting your router to broadcast on a different channel to see if that helps.  The other thing that can cause this is that you need updated drivers for your wireless card on the desktop.
Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

mand

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2008, 08:18:35 AM »

Thanks for that Kitz.
This morning I rebooted the router. after about 5mins I have as synch speed of 5.4mbps with noise margin moving around 2 - 7db. So far so good. Over 10 mins the sych dropped a little and often went to 0 before connecting again. My actual through put is about 266kbps!
Internet pages are not loading well. I'm going to work and just leave it to what changes over the day.
Also my isp have just e mailed me to say some work it just about to be done on my exchange to improve line stability/speed, so I will see what changes in the next 2 weeks.
Mand

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 01:01:16 PM »

>> I rebooted the router. after about 5mins I have as synch speed of 5.4mbps with noise margin moving around 2 - 7db

There goes the 15dB target SNR theory then :D

That sync speed is obviously too high for your line to maintain a stable connection..  once your SNR Margin dips too low then youre going to have a few problems and errors will start to rack up on the line.

In your first post I noticed you said your previous sync speed was around 4.6 but your IP profile was 2500, which indicates that your router was at times syncing in the 2848 kbps  - 3392 kbps region anyhow.

As mentioned, its quite normal for SNR Margin to take a dip in the evenings - more people are at home using electrical items, and more people using the Internet which can generate crosstalk, all of which will add that bit more noise on the line... and hence why adsl needs that "safe noise margin".

By default the target SNR is set at 6dB, but quite often 6dB is insufficient for some lines... and if you sync up at too high a speed in the earlier part of the day then things can start going wrong as the day wears on.

Can I just check that you have done all the usual stuff such as test your line stats from the test socket behind the master socket - just to eliminate the possibility that its nothing in your own home that is causing additional noise on the line.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/troubleshooting.htm

>> Internet pages are not loading well.

A sure sign that you will be racking up lots of CRC etc errors.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

anything