Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help dealing with TalkTalk ADSL problems appreciated  (Read 5788 times)

sampr

• Just arrived
Help dealing with TalkTalk ADSL problems appreciated
« on: July 22, 2014, 11:00:55 AM »

Hi,

So I live out in the countryside about 3.1km (5.1km by road) from the exchange. For however many years we've had the TalkTalk service here it has been terrible. When it works we get speeds in the 3Mbps - 4Mbps range, which isn't terrible, but we've always had problems with it dropping off fairly frequently, and massive speed fluctuations. TalkTalk are not particularly helpful, although they have attempted a number of fixes over the years.

We are going through a particularly bad period right now, with half-hour outages, constant small drop-offs, and speeds dropping down to the 0.6Mbps range. Last Monday they sent someone out who apparently fixed it, although as far as I'm aware nothing improved. At the moment it seems to be getting worse by the hour, although at the minute I write this it is functioning fine. I have opened a support thread (http://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Unlimited-Broadband/Frequent-connection-problems-despite-it-having-supposedly-been/m-p/1373851) over at TalkTalk, although that has got me nowhere so far.

I'm including all the information I can think of, and would really appreciate it if someone here could give me some pointers on how to proceed.

My line has some crackle to it, but nothing major.

TalkTalk have recently changed the profile from 6db to 9db interleaved with no impact. Actually if anything it got worse, but it seemed to be heading in that direction anyway.

Our router is a Huawei HG533 - it is technically possible that it is the culprit, but we have also tested one other router and had the same problem. We've done all of the normal switching out of micro-filters and trying test-socket stuff.

Complete up-to-date-ish ping log. This was all captured wirelessly over a fairly okay-ish WiFi network, but pinging directly from the router's interface gives identical results. I doubt anyone wants to trawl through this, but here it is: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B0yBSsZl-MlwQ25ZZk5qUGdyczQ/edit

Here's my router's interpretation of events:

I'd really appreciate any pointers because while I'm technically capable from a programming perspective, networking is far from my area of expertise and I want to make sure I'm not making any dumb mistakes here. Also if anyone knows how to get TalkTalk to actually say anything useful other than [Template]4 custom words[Template] that would be useful.

Thanks.

P.S. Am I being dumb here, or is there no neater way to add hyperlinks to this post?

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
Re: Help dealing with TalkTalk ADSL problems appreciated
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2014, 11:52:21 AM »

Welcome to the Kitz forum.

Taking your last question first, you can format links like this:

Code: [Select]
[url=http://bbc.co.uk]BBC[/url]
which displays like this: BBC

To deal with the real question, it would be very helpful if you could install a monitoring program to display a graph of (at least) SNRM. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the available monitoring programs work with the HG533. You mentioned an alternative router - if this is one which is compatible with DSLstats or Routerstats then I suggest that you give it a go.

The fact that there is some crackle on the line suggests that there may be a line fault or an equipment fault. I presume you've done all the recommended things like changing filters and plugging the router into the test socket?
  Eric

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2014, 12:02:50 PM »

As per Roseway's reply above .............. audible noise on the telephony side of the circuit = fault.
If it was an in-house TT engineer they despatched to your premises, they may as well have sent Cher !! At least you might have got a song whilst nothing else got done ?  ;) ;D

Follow Roseway's advice about the test socket, and take it from there. 

sampr

• Just arrived
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2014, 12:10:07 PM »

Thank You! Roseway!

I am currently connected to the test socket and have tried a number of filters. There is definitely a fairly consistent hiss in the background on the line, although not enough to significantly obscure the conversation. The other router I have is another TalkTalk one, the HUAWEI HG532, which is also not compatible with the monitoring software. How important is that? If it really matters I could probably knock up my own solution - it's just periodically scraping a web page after all.

Thanks for the help guys.

EDIT: I'm not sure if the engineer was an in house one, my mother handled that. I can and should find out.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 12:18:11 PM »

A secondary point, but if you have extensions with microfilters on each, it would be a good idea to install a filtered faceplate at the master socket. This gives you 'phone only extensions and both phone and modems sockets on the faceplate.

This stops the extensions spoiling the BB frequency response, prevents the extensions acting as interference aerials, and is tidier.

This is secondary to to the advice from Blacksheep and Roseway,  but well worth doing in the long run. Maybe you could extract a faceplate from the BT crew ? !

sampr

• Just arrived
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 12:23:39 PM »

A secondary point, but if you have extensions with microfilters on each, it would be a good idea to install a filtered faceplate at the master socket. This gives you 'phone only extensions and both phone and modems sockets on the faceplate.

This stops the extensions spoiling the BB frequency response, prevents the extensions acting as interference aerials, and is tidier.

This is secondary to to the advice from Blacksheep and Roseway,  but well worth doing in the long run. Maybe you could extract a faceplate from the BT crew ? !

Thanks, that's worth considering. As far as I'm aware we only have a single line socket in the house though. Should I consider disconnecting the phone from the system to see if it improves things?

On another note, I'm an 18 year old looking after my mother's house while she's on holiday. Is that going to be a problem if I'm calling people out to fix stuff?

Thanks again.

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2014, 12:36:41 PM »

Thanks, that's worth considering. As far as I'm aware we only have a single line socket in the house though. Should I consider disconnecting the phone from the system to see if it improves things?

Not sure if you mean one socket total or one extension, but either way, forget it till the obvious line problems are fixed and then try plugging into the test socket ( behind the master socket) which disconnects all extensions. This will prove the point if you benefit from a faceplate. 

Good Luck

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2014, 12:39:40 PM »

On another note, I'm an 18 year old looking after my mother's house while she's on holiday. Is that going to be a problem if I'm calling people out to fix stuff?

Ha ha ...... there's a few ways this could be answered but to tow the party line, only the actual bill-payer would (and should) be able to request an engineering visit ??  :)

sampr

• Just arrived
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2014, 12:40:43 PM »

Not sure if you mean one socket total or one extension, but either way, forget it till the obvious line problems are fixed and then try plugging into the test socket ( behind the master socket) which disconnects all extensions. This will prove the point if you benefit from a faceplate. 

Good Luck

I'm not sure what you mean by extension in this context, but I am currently using the test socket. It sounds like it's not a priority right now anyway, so I won't worry. Thanks again.

sampr

• Just arrived
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2014, 12:43:53 PM »

Ha ha ...... there's a few ways this could be answered but to tow the party line, only the actual bill-payer would (and should) be able to request an engineering visit ??  :)

Well I can probably persuade my mother to make the call if required, but nobody has asked for any confirmation on the TalkTalk forums yet and I've seen them agree to send people out from there before. It's kind of scary actually, I just gave them a phone number and they willingly fiddled with the account because I asked them to. Unless they're doing IP checking or something anyone could fiddle with any account.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2014, 02:26:54 PM »

Hmm ?? That does indeed sound worrying ?? I would have expected at least a basic level of security to be fulfilled, before any intrusive action be undertaken by the ISP ??

Maybe you've rung them from your landline number (which will flag on their systems as such), and they've accepted that as proof-positive you are genuine ??  :)

sampr

• Just arrived
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 02:32:39 PM »

Hmm ?? That does indeed sound worrying ?? I would have expected at least a basic level of security to be fulfilled, before any intrusive action be undertaken by the ISP ??

Maybe you've rung them from your landline number (which will flag on their systems as such), and they've accepted that as proof-positive you are genuine ??  :)

I haven't rung them at all, although my mother has in the past.  I just created a fresh account and filled in the landline number. I am doing so from the internet connection in question, so they may be able to check the IP, but there is no indication on their site that that is a necessity, nor would it really make sense to require that when people are attempting to resolve problems with their connections. All they've done for me so far on there is change the profile, but it still seems a tiny bit massively terrible.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 02:50:24 PM »

Normally when you try to get the TT people to help on their forum you have to provide special information which is not accessible by users but only to support staff to see which will verify the person contacting them and as others have said this should be the person named on the contract. From what you have said you have not made it clear if this contact with TT is via the User Forums at http://www.talktalkmembers.com/ which is the best way to get help.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

sampr

• Just arrived
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2014, 02:55:57 PM »

Normally when you try to get the TT people to help on their forum you have to provide special information which is not accessible by users but only to support staff to see which will verify the person contacting them and as others have said this should be the person named on the contract. From what you have said you have not made it clear if this contact with TT is via the User Forums at http://www.talktalkmembers.com/ which is the best way to get help.

Stuart

Yeah this was on the forum, I linked the post in my first post on here. I have not had to provide any information other than the landline number. I haven't even filled in my real name on there, although it's not the one on the contract anyway.

Haha, this is the best way to get help? I'm glad I'm not trying any of the others then.

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »

Yeah this was on the forum, I linked the post in my first post on here. I have not had to provide any information other than the landline number. I haven't even filled in my real name on there, although it's not the one on the contract anyway.

Haha, this is the best way to get help? I'm glad I'm not trying any of the others then.

Sorry I missed that. The way their forum works you may have to wait a while to get one of the TT reps (OCEs) to reply, also because of the way they work do NOT add comments to bump it up as this will do the exact opposite. Once one of the OCEs have replied if you want them to do something they will point you to how to fill in the necessary form and post a reference number in your thread, this is when you may need details of the contract and it will show whose name is on it and they will only talk to that person. At least that is how it should work....

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: [1] 2