Support this site
Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Author Topic: Wooden Platters and Hygene  (Read 1926 times)

JGO

• Reg Member
Wooden Platters and Hygene
« on: July 11, 2014, 05:22:42 PM »

There seems to be a vogue for wooden food platters now and we were wondering just how hygienic they are ? 
 Yes they are ethnic and probably like the things used in the Middle Ages etc but seem to remember the life expectancy was 40 years if you were lucky ?!!!
 Or are they impregnated with ethnic polyurethane varnish ? !!

broadstairs

• Kitizen
Re: Wooden Platters and Hygene
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 06:06:28 PM »

If you think about it what do butchers use to chop up meat on? A butchers block which is made of wood! They clean them at the end of the day with a scraper and scrubbing brush with hot water and elbow grease!

One of my hobbies is wood turning and so I have looked into this as I do make bowls etc which can be used for fruit and salad etc. Wood is fine for food providing you use common sense, there are food safe oils and finishes which can be used and obviously no one would use exotic timbers for food as some can cause allergies. Again washing by hand is essential, no wood would survive in a dishwasher although I do know some folks who have had that done to bowls they sold only to have them returned, sometimes they can be re-turned to make them usable again but not often! Wood often has anti-bacterial qualities.

So bottom line is wood is fine and probably just as hygienic as china or glass if properly used and cared for. I would also advise against buying cheap wooden stuff form the pound shops as you probably dont know what the wood is or how it has been finished.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »

Materials like glass and melamine are death to kitchen knives, so I don't think many serious cooks would use them for knife work. Natural wood doesn't harbour bacteria any more than a scratched plastic board, and the anti-bacterial properties of wood probably make it safer than plastic, not less safe.
  Eric

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2014, 07:18:02 PM »

Thinking way back to when b*cat was but a b*kitteh, all of our kitchen cutting/chopping boards have been wood. A dedicated wooden bread-board, meat chopping board, cheese board, etc.
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

HPsauce

• Helpful
  • Kitizen
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2014, 07:26:20 PM »

Agreed, we have a lovely big heavy olive-wood breadboard.
And a massive 2" thick wooden general-purpose chopping board. Plus several wood cheese boards.

Black Sheep

• Helpful
  • Addicted Kitizen
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2014, 08:30:03 PM »

Wood boards in this house as well !! Got to get a good quality one though.  :)

JGO

• Reg Member
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2014, 09:37:09 PM »

Thank you all for the wealth of information !

I think the particular worry is,  when dining out, how can one be sure a wooden serving platter has been adequately scrubbed ?  A white ceramic plate has the advantage that most dirt is visible, whereas a wood platter isn't that easy. (OTOH it wouldn't fit in a dishwasher to get a lick and a promise !)
We aren't anti wood; had a nice breadboard for years.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2014, 10:51:17 PM »

I think you might drive yourself mad if you worry overmuch about such things when dining out. There are quite strict rules about cross-contamination between meat and other foods, so a properly managed restaurant shouldn't be putting you at risk. If it isn't properly managed, there are far worse things it can do than serving food on a grubby serving platter.
  Eric

anything