Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Suddenly significantly higher upstream attenuation  (Read 16868 times)

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
Re: Suddenly significantly higher upstream attenuation
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2014, 05:52:37 PM »

burakkucat: You've seen often my old Hlog. Could you look at one-day new Hlog?

Certainly.  :)

I have downloaded the two images (oldhlog.png & newhlog.png) and then displayed them in a repeating sequence. I am surprised to see that subtle change.  :o

As you appreciate, Hlog data (along with QLN data) is only gathered during the training phase / synchronisation process between the CPE and DSLAM (or MSAN, etc). So the first thing to consider is why the circuit resynchronised. The simple answer may be that you initiated a resync and fortuitously captured the new data set. If that is not the case then perhaps the pavement resurfacing work has caused sufficient mechanical disruption (vibration ?) to one (or more) of the joints -- a joint that transiently opened and then reclosed. Such action will, obviously, cause the circuit to retrain and resynchronise -- thus providing a new Hlog data set. If there is such a "delicate" joint, it may well be one contributor to your abnormal looking Hlog graph.

In my opinion, the new Hlog plot looks "better" than the old Hlog plot. But there is not a lot of difference between them. If I did not know of those graphs' origin, I would say (if asked) that they were probably plots of data from the same circuit (the overall shape is essentially identical with minor variations in the (line) attenuation at certain frequencies) but with the data collected on different occasions in time.

All in all, it is interesting to see but I cannot say there is anything which could be presented to an ISP/CP as evidence that remedial work is required upon the circuit.  :no:

:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2014, 06:23:44 PM »

burakkucat: thank you very much for reply.
1. Is new Hlog gives new information about "roll" and undulations presented in Hlog? Is it caused by one poor joint? I suspect if I'd had ideal Hlog I've had perfect joint. I suspect if "roll" and undulation was caused by different poundage cables, it wasn't significantly smaller when pavement workers were doing something. Do you still think I have different poundage cables?

Quote from: burakkucat
So the first thing to consider is why the circuit resynchronised. The simple answer may be that you initiated a resync and fortuitously captured the new data set. If that is not the case then perhaps the pavement resurfacing work has caused sufficient mechanical disruption (vibration ?) to one (or more) of the joints -- a joint that transiently opened and then reclosed.
2. Pavement workes caused some recyncs and change of attenuation from 25.0/14.8 to 23.5/20.2 dB (new Hlog), upstream significantly higher and downstream significantly lower.  Unfortunately, next day (up to today) I've had again 25.0/14.8 dB and again old Hlog.

Best regards
konrado5
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 06:28:10 PM by konrado5 »

burakkucat

• Respected
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Over the Rainbow Bridge
    • The ELRepo Project
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2014, 07:13:20 PM »

I would still suspect that there are different gauge (poundage) cables in your circuit. I cannot rationalise how one joint could be responsible for such an abnormal Hlog plot . . . as there is a significant frequency range involved. (Approximately tone 48 to tone 400.) My best guess (and it only is a guess) is that your circuit comprises of different gauge cables and has (at least) one suspect joint. The latter is quite plausible; I do not know how telecommunication cables are jointed in Poland. (Are they crimped? Are they soldered? Are they just mechanically twisted together? Is some form of screw terminal used?)

Now considering your observations: 25.0 dB DS & 14.8 dB US; old Hlog plot and 23.5 dB DS & 20.2 dB US; new Hlog plot. Unfortunately I can not make any sensible deduction from those observations.  :no:  In my previous response, I mentioned that the new Hlog plot looked the "better" of the two; I preferred the new Hlog plot. That preference was due to the lesser attenuation being indicated in the lower frequency region of the graph -- the lower frequency tones being, of course, those of the US band. Hence my quandary. My visual examination of the graphs makes me prefer the new Hlog plot because it appears to show less attenuation in the US band. Yet that is completely the opposite the opposite to what you have noted . . .  ???

But, there again, it is a complete unknown as to how attenuation values are derived . . . values that are shown as X dB DS and Y dB US. Could it be that the measured value at a particular frequency is used? (Two frequencies, of course, one for DS & one for US.) Or could it be the weighted average across the frequencies currently in use for each band? As you have the raw data which produced those two Hlog graphs, you could sum each individual attenuation per tone for the DS and US bands. Then compare the ratio of DS to US (or the inverse) and see if there is any sort of correlation to the ratios of 25.0/14.8 and 23.5/20.2 (using the reported values of attenuation).

Really, I am now just guessing . . .  :)
:cat:  100% Linux and, previously, Unix. Co-founder of the ELRepo Project.

Please consider making a donation to support the running of this site.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2014, 08:17:18 PM »

The sum of all US individual Hlogs is -2106,3125 and sum of all DS individual Hlogs is -15594,0625 for current (old) Hlog. For one day (new hlog) SUM is accordingly: -2086,8125 and --15349,125
has (at least) one suspect joint
Is it possible that my circuit is very stable on ~1 dB despite suspect joint? Do you think about HR fault or about something else?

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2014, 08:23:54 PM »

I attach new Hlog datas and old Hlog (today) datas:
« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 08:26:04 PM by konrado5 »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »

I've read at ADSL specifications that line attenuation is average across all available frequiences (not only all used).

kitz

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Trinity: Most guys do.
    • http://www.kitz.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2014, 08:54:24 PM »

I've read at ADSL specifications that line attenuation is average across all available frequiences (not only all used).

I thought we'd been here before -  Ive quoted this numerous times
~ What is the difference between Line Attenuation and Signal Attenuation?

Routers that display two sets of attenuation figures are usually reporting the Signal Attenuation and Line Attenuation.   In these cases it can be taken to mean:-

Line (or Loop) Attenuation is an average of all the tones available for use in the relevant dsl spectrum - regardless of if the tones are in use or not.
    Loop attenuation is calculated during the transceiver training phase of the sync process and is an estimation of the line attenuation averaged through all the upstream or downstream subcarriers.
    Signal Attenuation is monitored and reported as an ongoing process and can sometimes be affected by ongoing changes in line conditions. Calculation is performed as the difference between the power transmitted at the far end and the power received at the near end.
    Signal attenuation is based an average of the frequency bins actually in use.

You then went and asked over at TBB where iirc PhilT (yarwell) independently told you practically the same thing.

Im not getting dragged into this...  but I thought everything had gone back to normal & how it was before once they'd finished.

I think youre getting too hooked up on attenuation again.   With ADSL the specifications for the routers measuring of attenuation arent laid out in stone and different modems use different figures anyhow.  Its only with VDSL that attempts are being made to standardise it. 

Funny enough I quoted the following paragraph to someone else today when talking about KL0 on a router Im currently testing.  KL0 is kind of related to attentuation..  and we are talking VDSL here which has more guidelines than ADSL

The exact way in which this parameter is determined is not currently specified by the standards but rather it can be determined in any manner deemed appropriate by DSL modem manufacturers. Indeed the standard seems to anticipate that both the network-side DSL modem and the customer side DSL modem may make an estimation of kl0 (since there is provision for both of these devices to send a message containing such an estimation from one device to the other) but no guidance is given as to which of these estimations should be used by the customer side DSL modem in order to generate its UPBO mask, or whether, for example, they should be combined in some way. The standard does include a note (see G 993.2 section 7.2.1.3.2) suggesting one possible approach for estimating kl0 (this method involves identifying the insertion loss at an unspecified number of different frequencies (provided they are within the range of frequencies between 1 MHz and the maximum usable VDSL2 frequency applicable to the modem—and selecting the minimum value of the ratio of the insertion loss to the square root of the frequency at however many different frequencies are selected for evaluation of this ratio, which could be just one). In general, however, many modems calculate this value based on only one or very few measurements at different frequencies of the amount of the insertion loss (i.e. the attenuation experienced by signals received over the line).

Its even possible that whilst the work was being done noise from pneumatic drills eg caused your line to drop and the atten was measured at this time
Im really not going to go there... because at the end of the day everythings back to normal now and its not going to tell you anything useful about your line that is going to be used for fault tracking.

I dont have anything further to add. 

Ive told you before, people will answer if they feel they have something useful to add, but please dont call people out and put them under pressure to answer something when they know that within a short time theres going to be a zillion more questions for which there are no answers.

Please do not PM me with queries for broadband help as I may not be able to respond.
-----
How to get your router line stats :: ADSL Exchange Checker

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2014, 09:28:58 PM »

Quote from: kitz
You then went and asked over at TBB where iirc PhilT (yarwell) independently told you practically the same thing.
I don't understand.
Its even possible that whilst the work was being done noise from pneumatic drills eg caused your line to drop and the atten was measured at this time
Im really not going to go there... because at the end of the day everythings back to normal now and its not going to tell you anything useful about your line that is going to be used for fault tracking.
Perhaps I've not written it clearly: I had 23.5/20.2, 24.0/20.0 dB, 24.0/19.8 and similar values all day despite I've doing router's reboots. Next day pavement workes did again and attenuation was backed to "normal" 25.0/14.8 dB.

Ive told you before, people will answer if they feel they have something useful to add, but please dont call people out and put them under pressure to answer something when they know that within a short time theres going to be a zillion more questions for which there are no answers.
But burakkucat can forget about my post despite fact that he wants to reply. What can I do to remind?

Best regards
konrado5

« Last Edit: July 06, 2014, 09:31:47 PM by konrado5 »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2014, 02:04:10 PM »

I'm noticed few seconds SNR margin drop on downstream (I have graph update every 5 seconds). I haven't seen it earlier. I attach small image and increased image.
Best regards
konrado5
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 02:10:38 PM by konrado5 »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 12:43:17 AM »

I've had any impulse noise (no thunderstorm).

Best regards
konrado5

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 12:50:43 PM »

I had not got circuit during 24 hours because pavement worker broke phone cable by excavator. Following there are photos of broken phone cable. Is it good cable?

I attach current Hlog - after fix.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 01:23:11 PM by konrado5 »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 02:06:58 PM »

Unfortunately engineers haven't got TDR device. To seek fault they use generator.

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 08:47:21 PM »

Unfortunately I don't see in any technical document Hlog dips similar to my Hlog dips. I see only TDR dips similar to my Hlog dips. I doubt if my Hlog would be caused by gauge changes along the whole circuit. My ISP says it is rather impossible.

Following there is patent how to read Hlog, but there is nothing about gauge changes. There is only how to detect bridge taps.
http://www.google.com/patents/US20100061434

Best regards
konrado5
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:52:46 PM by konrado5 »

konrado5

• Reg Member
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2014, 06:22:11 PM »

Moreover, I'm surprised burakkucat has not implied nothing new about my line accouting of one-day different Hlog, different frequiences being attenuated higher than usually.
pavement resurfacing work has caused sufficient mechanical disruption (vibration ?) to one (or more) of the joints -- a joint that transiently opened and then reclosed
If it caused significntly other Hlog, similar shape but much variances with frequiences attenuated, it should be something disrupted causing my general abnormal Hlog.

roseway

• Administrator
  • Senior Kitizen
  • Penguins CAN fly
    • DSLstats
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2014, 06:40:35 PM »

Please leave it there Konrado. Forum members want to be helpful, but it's not possible to answer every detailed question you have. People have other things to do.

Eric
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4