Home Broadband ISPs Tech Routers Wiki Forum

Compare ISP   Rate your ISP
   Glossary   Glossary

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: My High CRC Rates Cause  (Read 13154 times)

jack21

• Reg Member
Re: My High CRC Rates Cause
« Reply #30 on: May 29, 2014, 06:49:52 AM »

I'm not on a REIN hunt, but here's another experience from a few years ago.

Early one morning, for no apparent reason, snrm went berserk....several disconnects within an hour, then suddenly all OK......till a few hours later when extreme disturbance again for 10 mins........then it ceased (and never returned). I mentioned it to a neighbour who then told me his son-in-law 75-85 meters away had an electrician working on his fuse box at time of 2nd occurrence....it emerged that the 5 year old son there heard a high pitched buzzing in the kitchen early that morning, but Mum and Dad couldn't hear it.....but his brother could, and it was the fuse box.......electrican attended quickly and cured it. But that was at least 75meters away, and 'tother side of road. But its severe effects were felt at my place.

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #31 on: May 29, 2014, 01:38:41 PM »

As far as I know, the only overground part of my 5+km line apart from brief  excursions into Cab and SCP is the final section which goes from underground junction box, up a standard size pole, then around 25m East to my house, then down and through the wall to the only socket in the house.

I observe that atmospheric disturbancies to the East seem(?) to have a larger effect on CRC rates - but I could be mistaken. Would the drop wire orientation and length make it act as any sort of directional aerial?, and if so, in what direction?

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2014, 11:48:27 AM »

Oddly enough, after almost a week using a Billion 8800NL, during which time the weather has been unsettled, and during which time the average CRC rate was only 4-6/min,  in the last few hours the CRC rate has unexpectedly dropped to circa 0.3/min and remained so for approx 4 hours before then returning to the 4-6/min . And yet there were/are continuing  weather disturbancies in the local and general area.....so maybe there is an additional contributor to the sporadic higher CRCs, and I can't fully blame the weather.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 03:44:42 PM by jack21 »

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2014, 08:47:41 PM »

There is the normal background CRC errors that we all get day in and day out, the evenings will cause more CRC errors as thats the time when your SNRM starts to decrease.

I would not be to concerned by seeing CRC and ES errors in your stats its only when they go above a threshold it becomes a worry, for an example 1-12 ES/hour is fine but above 80 + ES/hour it's very bad, And 1-20 CRC per min is fine but anything above 60 going onto 600 is very bad.

The above findings are based on my VDSL2 circuit @ 800/1000 meters from FTTC cabinet  ;)

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2014, 04:24:36 AM »

Yes, I think overall I have a background CRC rate of 0.1 to 0.3 (5+km line), but then 'weather' has an observable impact and that can raise rate to 1000/min when it is severe, but typically 20-40/min. And then there's something else that cuts in sporadically that raises rate from tickover to around 15-20-30/min and which usually lasts for hours/days at a continuous level, then vanishes for periods. None of which cause any loss of throughput (download/speedtests stay the same - except under rare very high rates of 500+/min),  or which are echo'd by SNRM behaviour. 21CN DLM however does not like the higher rates and is wont to intervene. from time to time.

The normal  SNRM decay overnight has no impact on the CRC rates at all.......no increase or decrease.

Having 'found' the weather cause has pleased me tho, and I expect in due course (years?) something will show what the other contributor is......or I might find that when FTTC arrives that the issue disappears.

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2014, 06:06:00 PM »

I have had mad CRC errors to-day and it looks like there are T/Storms 40 miles away, yet have not had one in my location  :'(

jack21

• Reg Member
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2014, 06:52:33 PM »

Ouch! Nasty weather. 40miles is easy close enough; last week I could 'pick up' on one 150miles away (it was the only one over UK). I too haven't had any overhead for a while, not heard thunder or seen lightning.......but SNRM sees lightning and its precursors, and CRCs see generally disturbed weather.

However, I'm more than ever convinced there is a second significant source which MAY be related to wetness in some way - if significant rain occurs, this other component can  abruptly end, but as the weather dries up, it can (only maybe) increase. Apart from severe thunderstorms within say 0-40miles, the second component probably produces the highest CRC rates, whereas non-severe weather is fairly modest re its CRC rates.

Look at my 5 Jun rates (bear in mind the normal rate is around 0.3/min or 5 every 15 mins....the first show the CRC rate tumbling as rain arrived, The second shows disturbed weather approaching and passing by, The third shows the 'second' component abruptly starting at around 17:45. A puzzle!

NewtronStar

• Kitizen
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2014, 09:54:59 PM »

Ouch! Nasty weather.

It will Ouch when all those errors have been seen by the DLM and then it takes action at 1:57am for a T/Storm 40 miles away, silly DLM it does not know the difference from a line fault from a T/Storm no wonder we are fed up with the DLM.

perry081064

« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2014, 12:09:51 PM »

Ouch! Nasty weather.

It will Ouch when all those errors have been seen by the DLM and then it takes action at 1:57am for a T/Storm 40 miles away, silly DLM it does not know the difference from a line fault from a T/Storm no wonder we are fed up with the DLM.

heres mine , its been worse tho  >:(

broadstairs

• Kitizen
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2014, 05:50:57 PM »

Well I seem to have issues when there is some kind of rain event close by here. See graphs attached. All I can say is that Im glad DLM does not seem to do anything but I'm with TT so that may be why. Just to say the FEC graph is logarithmic.

Stuart
ISP:Vodafone Router:Vodafone Wi-Fi hub FTTP
Pages: 1 2 [3]

anything